Anyone else feeling queesy about our depth chart?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we could see McMillan or House gone during cuts. and maybe both. House has been out played by other CB's Heyward specifically, and since Hyde can play both S and CB I count him here too. At best I say we COULD keep House as the Dime, nothing higher. McMillan has been outplayed by Hyde and if need be we could move Heyward inside I think.

A while back I was verbally berated by HypnoGrey and others for being concerned about the backup center position, and where we stand now, we don't have a viable option! Van Roten can't snap in the shotgun, and his reflexes are bad. He has to go, and with him gone, who is the backup? I haven't seen Tretter yet to see what if anything he can do because he was injured. You can't move Bakhtiari inside cause you really don't have a blindside backup Tackle. Only thing I can think we could possibly do if we needed to was move Barclay in to guard have Lang play Center and bring Newhouse in to play RT, and I don't think any of us like the idea of having Newhouse in a game situation anymore.

Backup QB I really think Mike and Ted kicked this one bad. I get it we've got Young cheap, he's a mobile QB, and we may never need him, but based on last night's performance, we might've been better with Harrell as the backup and Young as the third stringer. We'll see, but this move is scaring me.

Special Teams: Let's fire Slocum to start with, and get rid of Crosby. Now however, since we can't get rid of Crosby, I like the restructuring of his deal. Make him earn the money he hasn't been for the last 2 years.

Defensive Line: I think we're strong here. I can see 9 guys that could play for this team, and at least 1 or 2 of them won't be.

Linebackers: Inside Linebackers I think we're ok, not thrilled about Hawk but I think we can survive it. I'd rather keep Barrington than Manning, he seems to be a bigger more physical linebacker and knows his role more than Manning. I would keep Manning as an outside linebacker, but that isn't his natural position I'm thinking so he goes. Outside Linebackers I think we're set here as well as long as they keep Mulumba and not Mike Neal.

Running Backs: We need to keep 5. I think we keep Lacy Franklin and I would keep Green not Starks. We'll keep Kuhn, and I love the idea of having a backup fullback just in case, not sure who that would be though.

Tight Ends: Finley stays obviously. I think Taylor stays, I don't know who stays beyond these two but I don't see Williams being here.

WR: Past Cobb I couldn't even tell you who stays. It seems that there are 2 spots left open maybe. I like Walker for one of them, but this could go every direction possible.

I know I kind of went off the page of the original post, but I wanted to give opinions both good and bad at each position.

CB/S: McMillian is definitely not going anywhere. House more than likely is not either. I guess I could see an outside shot at it if Hayward wasn't hurt and one of Smith, Means, or Nixon had earned a spot, but they haven't.

Backup QB: People have been just clamoring for a vet backup QB, and now we have one and we hear, "I don't know, I think we would have been better off with Harrell,." Really? When it comes down to it, it does not really matter whether Young or Harrell is the backup. If Rodgers goes down for an extended period of time, we are done. The gap between Rodgers and any viable backup at the most important position is just too much to overcome.

Pretty much with you on D-line, linebackers, and special teams, although Neal isn't getting cut I don't think, and we can still get rid of Crosby, restructuring didn't change that.

Running back: We don't need a second fullback. I'm okay whether Starks goes or stays, although I'd prefer to keep 5 RB's as well, I wouldn't want any more than 1 fullback.

Tight end: Mulligan should be safe, they love his blocking. I'd like to keep Bostick as well.

WR: Nelson and Jones are obvious locks in addition to Cobb as you had mentioned. I think Boykin is pretty safe as well. It should be between Ross and Walker, as I don't see a need to keep 6. I think it's going to be fairly cut and dry besides which one of those last two to keep.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
McMillian is going nowhere. If he's not starting, he'll be the only experienced backup at S besides Bush. House is the only backup CB with the skill set to play on the outside. Not even a remote chance he gets cut. He also made a big comeback, he didn't get thrown at much later on. Bush may be gone in the near future though, Hyde is a great gunner. Hyde also hasn't been tried at S yet, not a single rep. He's the dime CB.

Crosby's restructure makes him cuttable. ST blockers should be ashamed, and the Tacklers were even worse. Did we really have a return man battle? Because it certainly doesn't look like we've been practicing.

Neal looked better at OLB. It was a pleasant surprise, even if it WAS against scrubs. Good chance we go light here.

ILB is more about coverage, where Manning has a clear lean on Barrington, even if Barrington has a slight physicality lean. Barrington did however outplay Manning, so he would be my choice between the two.

We don't need 2 FB, as all of our TE besides Bostick have experience as lead blockers. I hope we can trade Williams. He doesn't fit our system, and I really like Bostick.

BTW WTH, that was before Tretter got hurt. You may not remember, but he was supposed to be the back up C. I was excited to see what he could do. I thought Pat Lewis was a very high upside prospect who played on one of the best OL in college football. EDS is a quality backup, who held his own last year at the end of the year as a starter. I admitted there were things he needed to get better at to be a starter, most notably I criticized his line calls, but the brass was going to give him his shot as a starter, like it or not. GVR looked like a good developmental guy. Currently seems EDS looked good against gassed starters as a fresh man, and GVR didn't develop much at all. I didn't "berate" you then, but I will now. You're an idiot with absurd opinions who needs to stop overreacting. I don't enjoy being called out, especially on false charges. Congrats on the ignore dip:poop:.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

The broadcasters tonight were saying how Thompson and McCarthy have a different approach to their final roster – they keep the best 53 regardless of position. Of course that’s nonsense...

Nonsense might be the wrong word. Absurd is more apt, I think. Nobody can build a team like that. Even with respect to the draft, any false illusions about "best player available" went out the window with the 2012 draft.

...perhaps they pay less attention to numbers at positions than other teams...

I see little evidence of that. Other than the schematic switch from FBs to H-backs two years ago, their head count by position is very consistent. On offense, the only head count difference now vs. last year at this time is that we're carrying 8 O-Line instead of 7 and 5 WR instead of 6. On defense, if one counts Neal as an OLB (which he is) and Woodson as a safety last season (which he was), I believe the only difference year-over-year is that we're carrying one more D-Line and one less LB.

After all if Rodgers misses significant time we are sunk anyway. May as well keep better 52nd and 53rd players.

At the risk of repeating myself, the goal with the backup QB on this team should be to have a guy who can win a game against a poor-to-mediocre team.

H

HardRightEdge

Well I`m gonna be the first to say this, and it wont be popular either, but I`m seriously beginning to doubt our head coach and his staff now. Mike seems like a nice guy and all, but he seems to lack passion. JMHO
I have more doubts about the quality of material he's been given the last few year. That's a function of scouting.

OP
OP
P-E-Z

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[quote="
At the risk of repeating myself, the goal with the backup QB on this team should be to have a guy who can win a game against a poor-to-mediocre team.[/quote]

Really the only undefeated team in NFL history played midway through the 5th game through win in the AFC Championship with a journeymen back up quarterback...... His name was Earl Morrell.

12theTruth

[quote="
At the risk of repeating myself, the goal with the backup QB on this team should be to have a guy who can win a game against a poor-to-mediocre team.

Really the only undefeated team in NFL history played midway through the 5th game through win in the AFC Championship with a journeymen back up quarterback...... His name was Earl Morrell.[/quote]

Anything can happen in a one game scenario. No way Morrell leads the team to the title game.

Edit to add: Last sentence should have said its my opinion that no way Morrell leads the team to the title game victory. Just my opinion. I was too young to have seen the game live.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
P-E-Z

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really the only undefeated team in NFL history played midway through the 5th game through win in the AFC Championship with a journeymen back up quarterback...... His name was Earl Morrell.

Anything can happen in a one game scenario. No way Morrell leads the team to the title game.[/quote]

my bad it 72 season still a super bowl win
How much of the 1972 NFL season did Bob Griese play?

Griese was injured in the 5th game of the season, against the Chargers, and did not play again until the 14th and final game, against the Colts, in a mop up role. He did not play in the divisional playoff game against the Browns but was called on in the second half of the AFC championship game against the Steelers. He started and played the entire game in Super Bowl VII.

D

Dan115

Morrell was named AFC player of the year in 1972. He wasn't all that shabby. He also played behind Johnny U before going to Mia. He played most of 1968 when Johnny went down. Colts would lose to Jets in Super Bowl that year.

Members online

Latest posts