Anyone else feeling queesy about our depth chart?

12theTruth

Didn't watch or listen to the game as I worked but glad I didn't. Looked to be very ugly from the stat sheet and everyones updates about the game.

Was listening to the after the game radio show, and I heard Mark Tauscher contend there is a good chance Jolly doesn't make the cut if the Packers don't keep 6 d-lineman.

The Packers will keep at least 6 d-lineman and Jolly is now a lock to make the team. He is a proven commodity while Neal is all hype.

The performance of the offensive line tonight was abysmal , horrific, inexplicably pathetic.

I also see that Andy Reid didn't play any of his starters and the Packers still got squashed. Everyone that is saying its only preseason is being overly simplistic. Its only preseason TOO for the Chiefs. You'd think you'd get a better showing than this for a 'top tier' team in the NFC.

Normally I could see not playing Rodgers in the final preseason game but due to the fact that he hadn't had the time to build timing with his TOP TWO wideouts (especially considering the retooled O-line this season) I think McCarthy made a poor choice on holding Rodgers out.

Unless the Pack are purposely struggling to throw off the 49ers :cool: I am very concerned about the depth and petrified by our offensive line.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't watch or listen to the game as I worked but glad I didn't. Looked to be very ugly from the stat sheet and everyones updates about the game.

Was listening to the after the game radio show, and I heard Mark Tauscher contend there is a good chance Jolly doesn't make the cut if the Packers don't keep 6 d-lineman.

The Packers will keep at least 6 d-lineman and Jolly is now a lock to make the team. He is a proven commodity while Neal is all hype.

The performance of the offensive line tonight was abysmal , horrific, inexplicably pathetic.

I also see that Andy Reid didn't play any of his starters and the Packers still got squashed. Everyone that is saying its only preseason is being overly simplistic. Its only preseason TOO for the Chiefs. You'd think you'd get a better showing than this for a 'top tier' team in the NFC.

Normally I could see not playing Rodgers in the final preseason game but due to the fact that he hadn't had the time to build timing with his TOP TWO wideouts (especially considering the retooled O-line this season) I think McCarthy made a poor choice on holding Rodgers out.

Unless the Pack are purposely struggling to throw off the 49ers :cool: I am very concerned about the depth and petrified by our offensive line.

No, it's not overly simplistic. It's pre-season. It doesn't matter if it's also pre-season for Chiefs. It's pre-freaking-season. The time where 4-0 teams turn into losers and 1-3 teams end up winning the Super Bowl.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...mes-havent-mattered-since-1994/1#.UiCLAZJvOZc

"Offering an answer to a long-running sports-bar argument, statistics suggest that NFL preseason games have been truly meaningless, injuries aside, since 1994."

Why we continue to do this every year is beyond me. The Atlanta Falcons went 0-4 this pre-season, the Jets went 3-1, along with the Browns, Panthers, Lions, and Cardinals. I don't care if Andy Reid played backups or not. I know many of the backups will not even be on the team next game. The offensive line performance, while very poor, was almost all comprised of guys who will be cut tomorrow.

12theTruth

No, it's not overly simplistic. It's pre-season. It doesn't matter if it's also pre-season for Chiefs. It's pre-freaking-season. The time where 4-0 teams turn into losers and 1-3 teams end up winning the Super Bowl.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...mes-havent-mattered-since-1994/1#.UiCLAZJvOZc

"Offering an answer to a long-running sports-bar argument, statistics suggest that NFL preseason games have been truly meaningless, injuries aside, since 1994."

Why we continue to do this every year is beyond me. The Atlanta Falcons went 0-4 this pre-season, the Jets went 3-1, along with the Browns, Panthers, Lions, and Cardinals. I don't care if Andy Reid played backups or not. I know many of the backups will not even be on the team next game. The offensive line performance, while very poor, was almost all comprised of guys who will be cut tomorrow.

I am not referring exclusively to the relevancy of the preseason . I think it should be shortened to 2 games personally. It IS a chance for NFL squads to better prepare their 1st and 2nd year players against schemes that they don't employ on their own team's defense. There is a purpose for it and despite your distaste for the preseason it will remain.

So we shouldn't be able to derive any prevailing thoughts or conclusions about let's say the offensive line's progress from watching the preseason either? This is why I stated that it is over simplistic to say "its only preseason".

Last edited by a moderator:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You people overreacting and getting your little ******* in a bundle over the pre-season games have some serious mental issues. This team's depth on Defense is tremendously better than last year. We have guys back from last year injuries, a few more set to return hopefully for the first season game and at least one hopefully as we get into the season. Defense while is going to be tested hard and fast out the gate is set up for a more successful and better year than last year easily!

As for the offensive side of the ball think of how naive you must be to be disappointed in a team which some of the crucial starters have hardly played in pre-season either due to nagging injuries needing rest or simply the desire to get younger guys in and more experienced. Yes losing Jennings is a hit, yes losing Driver is a hit (not as much on the field though any longer) and yes Harris going down is a nick at the least. However, we still have Aaron Rodgers, we still have the lethal weapon Cobb, we still have last year's TD leading receiver Jones, Nelson when healthy starts for any team in the league, Finley in a put up or shut up year (as well as Jennings leaving should=more looks), young TE's wanting to make the staff not view Finley as the only weapon, Lacy a running back with a chip for dropping in the draft and hoping to prove the "injury" worry wards wrong about him...not too mention a young LT that may have me excited more than any rookie lineman has in a long long time.

All of that and then you can even throw some seasoning on top of it more yet. You got Starks/Green who have to know they're on their way out unless they do some serious stepping up. Boykin wants to prove he can be the reliable source he was in college and hope to cling to a team where Super Bowls are possible. Newhouse I feel is going to work his butt off and after this year we'll know his future long or short term with the team.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I am not referring exclusively to the relevancy of the preseason . I think it should be shortened to 2 games personally. It IS a chance for NFL squads to better prepare their 1st and 2nd year players against schemes that they don't employ on their own team's defense. There is a purpose for it and despite your distaste for the preseason it will remain.

So we shouldn't be able to derive any prevailing thoughts or conclusions about let's say the offensive line's progress from watching the preseason either? This is why I stated that it is over simplistic to say "its only preseason".
Dude you have a very flawed understanding of what preseason is. It's really less about preparation than it is evaluation and development. Get your young guys reps in YOUR system in actual game situations, see what your fringe players offer and who can be an upgrade. You do realize shortening the preseason undermines all of that, right? Different schemes? Chiefs play a 34, and everybody plays vanilla.

Backup OL who'll never work in this town again. Gerhart Hughes and Datko will probably be gone by the end of the day. You get to see who wins 1 on 1's above the x's and o's. Remember that the scheme is over simplified as well. Had the starters played like that you'd have legit concerns, especially since it's very easy to get a bead on your bigs on both sides of the ball. Not only that, but you can also evaluate the individual pieces of the line easily to do some troubleshooting, and even experiment with substitutions. So yes, you have a point, but you have to take preseason with a grain of salt, since it doesn't cater to the player's favor.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Rodgers played 41 snaps the entire pre season...

Cobb--none
Nelson- none

Those 3 would have altered every pre season game if they would have played like it was a regular season game.

MM plays pre season to look at match ups and not game plan...He said it this year and I posted the quote.

Stop freaking out

12theTruth

Dude you have a very flawed understanding of what preseason is. It's really less about preparation than it is evaluation and development. Get your young guys reps in YOUR system in actual game situations, see what your fringe players offer and who can be an upgrade. You do realize shortening the preseason undermines all of that, right? Different schemes? Chiefs play a 34, and everybody plays vanilla.

Backup OL who'll never work in this town again. Gerhart Hughes and Datko will probably be gone by the end of the day. You get to see who wins 1 on 1's above the x's and o's. Remember that the scheme is over simplified as well. Had the starters played like that you'd have legit concerns, especially since it's very easy to get a bead on your bigs on both sides of the ball. Not only that, but you can also evaluate the individual pieces of the line easily to do some troubleshooting, and even experiment with substitutions. So yes, you have a point, but you have to take preseason with a grain of salt, since it doesn't cater to the player's favor.

And isn't an excellent way to prepare against schemes that other defenses employ. Simple as that. Without a preseason, you will get a trial by fire without adequate time to fully assess the rookies and short term NFL players. Two games would be an improvement over 4 games though. Starters or backups it didn't matter, we seen a glaring deficiency for the Packers offensive line to get to the second level. Training camp gets a player physically ready and the fundamental down pat, but to truly develop they need the experience against other schemes from other teams.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Where did I ever say I had a distaste for pre-season? I simply said as is well known, that there is no correlation between pre-season and regular season performance.

Prevailing thoughts are fine, but what conclusions can you draw about our regular season offensive line from last night?

I think I saw the starters or potential starters -- Sitton, Lang, EDS, Barclay, Newhouse, Bahkriati -- out there for 3 plays, correct me if I'm wrong but it wasn't much more than that.

Almost everyone you saw after that is probably gone anyway. Who is really going to stay from Hughes, Datko, Lane, Van Roten and Lewis?

Van Roten? Maybe Lane? Strictly as backups, that's for sure.

12theTruth

They arent NFL people, so their opinion on how much Rodgers should have played means nothing..

Thats not the point. The post I was commenting on said I may be the ONLY one suggesting such a thing. I answered to the contrary with reasoning for it. I'll stand behind my opinion. Again quit putting words in peoples mouths. To suggest more time to for Rodgers and his wideouts to garner timing with each other is NOT freaking out it is basing an opinion that the Packers offense could be rusty going into the 49ers game and a little more simulated game experience may have helped ready the offense.

I'd say you are OVER-reacting to a reasoned opinion.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doubt it. Others were also suggesting Rodgers play anywhere between 10 to 20 snaps last night.

So you described the O-line performance last night as "abysmal , horrific, inexplicably pathetic" and yet you would have wanted Rodgers to get 10 or 20 snaps behind them?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If you disagree with this post, you truly don't understand pre-season and it's purpose folks.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats not the point. The post I was commenting on said I may be the ONLY one suggesting such a thing. I answered to the contrary with reasoning for it. I'll stand behind my opinion. Again quit putting words in peoples mouths. To suggest more time to for Rodgers and his wideouts to garner timing with each other is NOT freaking out it is basing an opinion that the Packers offense could be rusty going into the 49ers game and a little more simulated game experience may have helped ready the offense.

I'd say you are OVER-reacting to a reasoned opinion.

Go back and look at pre season threads..Its the same thing every year..

12theTruth

Where did I ever say I had a distaste for pre-season? I simply said as is well known, that there is no correlation between pre-season and regular season performance.

Prevailing thoughts are fine, but what conclusions can you draw about our regular season offensive line from last night?

I think I saw the starters or potential starters -- Sitton, Lang, EDS, Barclay, Newhouse, Bahkriati -- out there for 3 plays, correct me if I'm wrong but it wasn't much more than that.

Almost everyone you saw after that is probably gone anyway. Who is really going to stay from Hughes, Datko, Lane, Van Roten and Lewis?

Van Roten? Maybe Lane? Strictly as backups, that's for sure.
So you described the O-line performance last night as "abysmal , horrific, inexplicably pathetic" and yet you would have wanted Rodgers to get 10 or 20 snaps behind them?

Yeh, but they only put the starters in for about 3 plays on the offensive line from what I've been told. Leave your ENTIRE starting team in for 10-20 plays together. The abysmal part referred to the backups on O-line.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Almost everyone you saw after that is probably gone anyway.

I agree, and the crazy thing is they still didn't give up hardly any sacks...may not be good but in a pinch I feel the young line will be able to fill breathers or stingers (just pray nobody else goes down for good!)

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeh, but they only put the starters in for about 3 plays on the offensive line from what I've been told. Leave your ENTIRE starting team in for 10-20 plays together. The abysmal part referred to the backups on O-line.

Which is exactly my point. The "abymsal" O-line was mainly guys who won't even remain on the team. Datko was probably the main culprit, and he is as good as gone. Of the abysmal group they might keep Van Roten and Taylor strictly as backups, who didn't stand out to me as main culprits of the group.

They are already trying to shop their backup TE's, and may look to swap for a reserve lineman on another team if they feel there aren't any qualified backups on this team.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts