Any updates from camp?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Do you have something to back up those statements? I'm just curious because I thought he held his own last year when he got in there. He's a fighter and certainly was a pretty solid run blocker. I never really noticed him being a weak link in pass pro. So, I'm curious what you are basing your conclusory statements on.
Other than the tons of help he was given? From what little I remember he was terrible 1 on 1 when he didn't have Sitton or a TE helping him double. I realize my initial statement might be a bit of an exaggeration, but the kid's pass pro is really poor.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The experiment with Barclay at center has ended. They tried him there and it didn't work. Everything else is speculation. From what I've read the right tackle spot is wide open.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
It's almost a shame. I'd much rather have had Barclay start at Guard with Lang at Tackle, but Lang isn't a Tackle anymore. He's all Guard now...

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barclay at RT works for me.
Wish the 1st rounder Sherrod hadn't gotten his leg snapped in half.
That was unfair and a terrible terrible break for the team, and him.

Not sure why none of the 49ers OL suffer breaks like that ever..... they also have 3 1st round OL on their roster.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have liked Boykin since last year's training camp, and I believe Jeremy Ross is also very very good. His fumble killed us in San Fran, but I forgive him..... still has a lot of ability, and our #1-5 WR's are set.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/58678/packers-rookie-wrs-still-a-mystery

......Boykin was the last receiver to make the team last season but was used sparingly. He has caught just about everything thrown his way in the first week of camp. That continued Friday night, when he had perhaps his best practice to date. In a team period early in practice, he stretched out to make a tough catch on a deep ball from Aaron Rodgers. Two plays later, Rodgers hit Boykin on a hitch that he quickly took up the field.

Ross, who was promoted from the practice squad last season but was used primarily on special teams, stood out during the two-minute period that ended practice. On a four-play scoring drive, Ross had catches of 15 yards on consecutive plays.

Boykin and Ross also have been given extensive roles on special teams.

"They’ve definitely created a value for themselves individually and continue to improve and make plays," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said after practice.

Daniels dominates: Defensive tackle Mike Daniels continued to shine in pass-rushing drills. The second-year pro won three of his four reps Friday to improve his camp-long record to 9-8 in a drill that heavily favors the offensive player.

At just 6-foot and 291 pounds, Daniels probably isn’t big enough to be an every-down player, but he might be carving out a significant role in the sub packages. In a limited role last season, he had two sacks.

Odds and ends: Defensive tackle Johnny Jolly, who is attempting to make an NFL roster for the first time since the 2009 season after serving a three-year suspension for violating the league’s substance abuse policy, stripped the ball from Alex Green during a team run period. It was believed to be the first fumble by a running back in an 11-on-11 period this camp. However, Jolly still hasn’t made much of an impression in the one-on-one drills. He lost all five of his reps in the pass-rushing drill on Friday and only one was against a projected starting offensive lineman. ... Outside linebacker Nick Perry, whose rookie year ended last season after only six games because of surgery on his left wrist, has been practicing with a large protective brace that covers most of his left forearm. ... Practice ended with the most efficient no-huddle period of camp by the offense, which needed just 36 seconds to go 70 yards on four plays. It ended with tight end Jermichael Finley’s best catch of camp, a 15-yard touchdown on a seam route against tight coverage by safety Jerron McMillian. ... Friday’s session was the only night practice of training camp, and it drew perhaps the largest crowd of the summer.

Medical report: Receiver Jordy Nelson missed his first practice of the summer because he had a recurrence of an old knee injury, McCarthy said. Another starter, linebacker Brad Jones, dropped out midway through practice because of a finger injury. Rookie linebacker Nate Palmer returned after missing two practices because of a shoulder injury.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Has that been said?

The hot mess with snaps has been widely reported, but I haven't seen where the experiment has been killed.
Nope, took snaps with the 2's at C from what I hear.

Supposedly Bakh earned himself some time with the starters today at RT. What that means I have no clue, but I like the direction.

H

HardRightEdge

Nope, took snaps with the 2's at C from what I hear.

Supposedly Bakh earned himself some time with the starters today at RT. What that means I have no clue, but I like the direction.

OK, it would he surprising if they quit on Barkley at backup C so early for several reasons. (1) Opening up a roster spot for somebody like Van Roten just to play backup is a waste. (2) Tretter was supposed to be the guy, but getting no off-season work would indicate he's heading for redshirt IR. (3) There's no other viable alternatives among the locks and near locks; Lang was just a placeholder, a name in a slot, as the backup C after Saturday retired; I have not read that he's getting any work there at all. (5) EDS is on that one year restricted FA deal. (6) EDS is adequate, but certainly not immune to competition or an upgrade.

Maybe they should give Barclay one of those kicker practice nets, put a target on it, and have him put in 1,000 snaps at 7 yards. Put it together with a tape loop of Ray Lewis' game screaming at 100 db. and that ought to do it. ;)

Bakhtieri has worked his way up from 3rd. group to 1st. group snaps at RT in short order, and I think I saw where he's gotten some snaps at LT with the 2nd. group...maybe it was 3rd. Overlooked in the discussion is that Newhouse is in his contract year, though he would be restricted next season. All indications are the staff would like to make him expendable, for some obvious reasons, but Bakhtieri needs to show he can be at least a stop gap at LT...Lang is not and never was up to that task. I would expect Bakhtieri to get snaps on the left side in preseason to prove it up.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought I read in a blog that they were through trying him at center. Guess I was wrong. But in any case there's nothing to indicate they are trying him there because they believe his highest ceiling is as an interior lineman or they are just trying to find him a roster spot. He's still in the hunt for the right tackle spot. The reason he's being tried at center, as HRE said, is the hot mess there.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The OL woes may continue but I think there’s objective reason for optimism: Bulaga is very likely to be a significant improvement at LT and EDS is very likely to be better than Saturday from game one on.

Beyond that, Newhouse is facing real competition and may lose his starting status altogether. That’s very good news if it happens and if it doesn't, IMO he at least will be less of a liability. While they haven’t been in pads for even a week, what we’re hearing about Bakhtiari is very encouraging. Slotted as the backup LT while battling for the starting RT job says a lot about what the coaches think of the rookie, both physically and mentally.

This is from Vic’s latest chat:
Bryan Bulaga is playing the best left tackle I’ve seen in the three Packers training camps I’ve covered. He’s been dominant so far in this camp. I see nothing about the flip-flop that isn’t positive. The center job belongs to Dietrich-Smith. The issue at center is the backup job. Don Barclay has struggled with the snaps. I like what I see in Greg Van Roten. The right tackle job is Marshall Newhouse’s to hold, but Barclay and David Bakhtiari are strong competitors for that spot.
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/ask-vic/article-1/Bryan-Bulaga-dominant-so-far-in-Packers’-camp/2d9bbe50-ae0f-4723-8f33-4cef78bf5187

13 Times, as Vic indicates I think the “hot mess” is at backup center and IMO that’s a significant difference.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
OK, it would he surprising if they quit on Barkley at backup C so early for several reasons. (1) Opening up a roster spot for somebody like Van Roten just to play backup is a waste. (2) Tretter was supposed to be the guy, but getting no off-season work would indicate he's heading for redshirt IR. (3) There's no other viable alternatives among the locks and near locks; Lang was just a placeholder, a name in a slot, as the backup C after Saturday retired; I have not read that he's getting any work there at all. (5) EDS is on that one year restricted FA deal. (6) EDS is adequate, but certainly not immune to competition or an upgrade.

Maybe they should give Barclay one of those kicker practice nets, put a target on it, and have him put in 1,000 snaps at 7 yards. Put it together with a tape loop of Ray Lewis' game screaming at 100 db. and that ought to do it. ;)

Bakhtieri has worked his way up from 3rd. group to 1st. group snaps at RT in short order, and I think I saw where he's gotten some snaps at LT with the 2nd. group...maybe it was 3rd. Overlooked in the discussion is that Newhouse is in his contract year, though he would be restricted next season. All indications are the staff would like to make him expendable, for some obvious reasons, but Bakhtieri needs to show he can be at least a stop gap at LT...Lang is not and never was up to that task. I would expect Bakhtieri to get snaps on the left side in preseason to prove it up.
Don't forget GVR still has PS eligibility IIRC

Don's biggest problem is the reps, but 100 decibels actually isn't that loud. Most MP3 players are set to go up to 120 at full volume though anything 80+ for 4+ hrs causes permanent damage according to one study.

Bakh's game is very similar to Bulaga's. He's currently taking snaps at LT with the 2's, but Newhouse is still starting at RT right now with Barclay behind him followed by Bakhtiari. Why would Newhouse be restricted when he was a 6th? rounder who started at LT for almost to 2 years?

H

HardRightEdge

Don't forget GVR still has PS eligibility IIRC

Don's biggest problem is the reps, but 100 decibels actually isn't that loud. Most MP3 players are set to go up to 120 at full volume though anything 80+ for 4+ hrs causes permanent damage according to one study.

Bakh's game is very similar to Bulaga's. He's currently taking snaps at LT with the 2's, but Newhouse is still starting at RT right now with Barclay behind him followed by Bakhtiari. Why would Newhouse be restricted when he was a 6th? rounder who started at LT for almost to 2 years?

The problem with having a backup on PS is that your starter might do down in the middle of a game. I don't think this team can afford a loss through neglect.

You're right about Newhouse but for the wrong reasons. I mispoke...Newhouse will be an unrestricted FA at the end of 2013. But it has nothing to do with playing time, nor where or whether a guy was drafted. It has to do with the length of the rookie contract. Without getting into the ins and outs regarding "accrued service", it boils down in the majority of cases to whether the guy had a rookie deals for 3 years vs. longer...3 yrs. makes you restricted, 4 years or more makes you unrestricted. Newhouse's deal was for 4 years.

100 db is pretty loud: http://www.chem.purdue.edu/chemsafety/training/ppetrain/dblevels.htm

I think you'd want the guy to get used to being yelled at by dangerous men while getting the ball off, not go deaf. Note dbs are not a straight line scale...100 dbs. is 8 times louder than 70 dbs. Besides, the suggestion was 1/2 serious; I'm not particular about the volume.

H

HardRightEdge

13 Times, as Vic indicates I think the “hot mess” is at backup center and IMO that’s a significant difference.

That's correct, and it is what I said in the post 13 Times quoted. While it may seem trivial in the great scheme of things, it has meaningful implications.

MM's habit is to carry 7 OL, with a couple guys on PS.

Lets say the 7 are Bulaga, Sitton, EDS, Lang, Newhouse, Bhaktiari and Barkley. If Barkley doesn't get the hang of snapping the ball (which is a near-zero error tolerance responsibility), who else can back up at center? Nobody else in that list of 7. Let's say GVR does have the hang of it and is judged serviceable, and he's stashed on the PS. That doesn't work.

If EDS goes out in the middle of a game, what then? This is not a team that can afford a loss through neglect (as if any team could). Snapping the ball, particularly in shotgun, is not a trivial matter or easy to do. If it were, Barclay would not be rolling balls.

So the issue boils down to (1) spending an extra roster spot on the O-Line so there's somebody who can back up EDS and (2) if nobody works out as #2, having to go out and get somebody who can.

It's easy to say dump Newhouse and bring in GVR to stay at 7, but if Bulaga goes down, putting all the marbles on Bhaktiati at LT and Barclay at RT would be imprudent. For his faults and inconsistencies, you can have worse than Newhouse.

This is not the highest priority issue around, but it is important.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This just in: Crosby still sucks. No bad weather. No cold. Same holder. Same conditions. Other guy extremely nervous with this being his first NFL live test:

Tavecchio outkicks Crosby
--After Drive 8, Crosby misses field goal from 37 yards, and is greeted by boos for second time. Tavecchio then steps in and makes field goal.
--Crosby returns and splits uprights from 47 yards and Tavecchio misses wide right.
--Kickers go back to 53 yards and Crosby misses wide right. Tavecchio hits crossbar and it bounces through.
(Kickers now kicking to north end zone after kicking to south end zone.)
--Crosby from 33 yards, wide right, but Tavecchio is right down the middle
--Now at 43 yards, Crosby misses and looks to the sky. Tavecchio once again makes the kick.
--Moving back to 51 yards, Crosby finally makes a kick. Tavecchio also makes kick.
Total: Crosby 2 for 6; Tavecchio 5 for 6.
End of scrimmage.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can Tavecchio kickoff? Crosby has to be as good as gone with that awful display. Something is not right with him, hasn't been right with him and he is a liability at this point.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Can Tavecchio kickoff? Crosby has to be as good as gone with that awful display. Something is not right with him, hasn't been right with him and he is a liability at this point.

Masthay can also kickoff. Tav can reach the endline but his kickoffs are more of a linedrive which shortens the time the coverage unit has to get to the returner.

Members online

Latest posts