1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Any thoughts on Curiosity ?

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Archangel, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Archangel

Archangel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I'm a big astronomy guy, I'd could even go as far as saying I'm close to expert status. I'm only saying this because I'm still kinda new the site and wanna be familiar with my fellow posters.

Anyways on to the thread topic, which is the newly launched Mars Rover Curiosity.

Curiosity is the newest rover launched, being sent to Mars to find life on the red planet.
    Curiosity is a SUV sized rover, the biggest of the rovers to be launched I believe.

It costed NASA $2.5 billion to fund this project also named "Mars Science Laboratory".

Curiosity is planned to land on Mars at Gale crater between August 6 and August 20, 2012. Along with searching for life on Mars, Curiosity will be examining Mars habitability.

I think this is probably the best rover sent, and will have the best results. Not because of rather it determines if there is or isn't life on Mars, but because of other question around the planet. Such as can we(humanity) live on Mars.
    Not discounting what the other rovers have down, they served greatly and returned useful and great information.

I know a good number of Americans will complain about the price of the program, but I honestly don't mind how much NASA spends on it's research and programs. Little known fact, is that NASA actually receives the pocket change of tax payer dollars. Majority of it's funding comes from colleges and universities, along with foreign allies.

So what all of this said, here's to great findings by Curiosity, and I look forward to the future of Man space exploration with the SLS in 2017.
  2. Poppa San

Poppa San Pray daily and take the plunge for Eli Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +857 / 29 / -2
    Packer Fan Since:
    Life on Mars has already been proven. Ask Ray Bradbury.

I have no problem with NASA's share of the budget even though they wasted a good chunk of it the past 25 years on a useless but photogenic shuttle platform.