Any chance we bring back Charles Woodson now?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seemed that San Fran was going to sign Woodson right away after we released him.
But yesterday they signed a different younger safety Craig Dahl.

Ed Reed seems headed to Houston.

Now after seeing that his market value is a lot less than what his contract with the Packers was, would Woodson return to the Packers for a substantially less amount of money?

Would the Packers brass, still stinging from losing a locker room fave in Jennings, on top of Driver, and now Crabtree, bring back the locker room leader Woodson?
We still have McMillian and MD Jennings back there, young and hopefully developing. This would bring back some veteran leadership, and allow the team to not have to draft another safety. This would allow us to focus elsewhere in the draft and have no need for a young S, if they believe Jerron or MD will become good enough to be quality starters back there.

The player rep for free agent Charles Woodson says the Texans have reached out to his client.
Woodson visited the 49ers on Wednesday, but no deal is imminent. San Francisco is hosting free agent Louis Delmas on Thursday. Woodson might be an option in Houston if the Texans can't work something out with free agent Ed Reed first. Mar 13 - 10:09 PM
Source: John McClain on Twitter
49ers signed S Craig Dahl, formerly of the Rams, to a three-year contract.
Dahl, 28 in June, started all 16 games in 2012, racking up 78 tackles, two pass breakups, and one interception. Dahl isn't a sure tackler and oftentimes gets lost in coverage, so he'll likely be the third safety in San Francisco. Mar 16 - Rotoworld

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Could he replace Hawk at MLB on passing downs? Otherwise I think that ship has sailed. Two collarbones in 24 games. Not looking to good health wise.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think that Charles Woodson's days in Green Bay are over at any price. Hate to see it and hate to say it ... but ... damn I hate seeing guy's come to the end of their marketability and effectiveness -- I would LOVE to see Charles Woodson coaching in Green Bay -- I'd LOVE to see Charles Woodson in an administrative position in Green Bay ... I would LOVE to see Charles Woodson in ANY capacity in Green Bay -- but, I fear that he'll end up playing in Jacksonville or someplace that will pay for his name only...like Carolina did for the late great #92.

Then again ... I was completely wrong about Woodson when Thompson signed him. Not because I didn't think he could play, but, because I believed what was written about him...what a flippin' idiot I was (I'm still an idiot, just in different, non-defined areas, such as day-to-day living ;) )

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont know... I think its possible but I think he is a liability at this point.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Possible, not probable. I think he would need to take a serious cut in pay and that is not an easy thing for a player to do - pride and all.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, I don't believe "Packers brass is stinging" from losing Jennings or Crabtree. The team didn't seriously pursue either player, so I doubt they're reeling from their decision not to get into a bidding war for their services.

Next, it's possible, but I doubt it. If they did, it would likely be after the draft and probably after mini-camps start.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the biggest difference in tackling, the performance against Adrian Peterson from weeks 13 & 17 (when he totaled over 400 yards), and the wildcard round was the addition of Charles Woodson back there..... the other DBs were never where they should be and couldn't tackle.

I know Woodson has lost a step, but has Hawk not?

If Woodson had enough humbility to take the vet minimum + bonuses, would you guys not all want him back?
Again, do you know that MD Jennings or Jerrell McMillian will be ready to anchor the hole back there? What about if Burnett goes down? Also, his tackling sucks by the way.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
It's time to let Woodson go. We ran the tread off that bus and it was good to us. I'd much rather sign Collins, and would probably even bring back Peprah le Pew (whom PrimeTime said can't sleep because he can't even cover himself) first.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the biggest difference in tackling, the performance against Adrian Peterson from weeks 13 & 17 (when he totaled over 400 yards), and the wildcard round was the addition of Charles Woodson back there..... the other DBs were never where they should be and couldn't tackle.

If Woodson had enough humbility to take the vet minimum + bonuses, would you guys not all want him back?
Again, do you know that MD Jennings or Jerrell McMillian will be ready to anchor the hole back there? What about if Burnett goes down? Also, his tackling sucks by the way.

That might be Frank, but I also think that was the time frame when CM3 was out in week 13 and returned to help with the AP situation in week 17. Either way, I think they both helped out.
Woodson has lost a step, yes, but some things you just can't replace and that would be a craftiness he has, the leadership, and the inside info he has on opposing players (having went up against them over the years). If he did come back, it would have to be at a huge pay cut and him taking limited snaps only being a situational player. Either way, I don't see him returning.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's time to let Woodson go. We ran the tread off that bus and it was good to us. I'd much rather sign Collins, and would probably even bring back Peprah le Pew (whom PrimeTime said can't sleep because he can't even cover himself) first.

Collins? Is there ANY chance of that? I thought it was sure he was permanently out medically.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I wouldn't discount the fact that the Packers had already seen what the Vikes were going to be doing with AP so they were more prepared for what they were going to see and ready to stop it. And yes, getting the handful of starters back helped immensely too.

As far as bringing back Woodson I'd much rather see him return to us in the form of a position coach/ intern than as a on the field player. That way he's not a liability on the field due to injury or his pi-itis, while the locker-room still gets to benefit from picking his brain and his leadership ability.

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather go out like Woodson than go out quickly due to injury like Collins right at the top of his game. Collins was my last (definite 100%) favorite packer. All of my favorite players on either baseball or football end up getting hurt.

H

HardRightEdge

It seemed that San Fran was going to sign Woodson right away after we released him. But yesterday they signed a different younger safety Craig Dahl.

It puzzled me a bit that SF would be talking to Woodson. They must have seen the tape where Kapernick blew past his angle.

Then I recalled the time I went to a job interview and it occurred to me about 10 minutes in that there was no job opening...the interviewer was trying to mine me for info about my then employer, a competitor. You just never know.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I'd rather go out like Woodson than go out quickly due to injury like Collins right at the top of his game. Collins was my last (definite 100%) favorite packer. All of my favorite players on either baseball or football end up getting hurt.
You're never allowed to love again.

Members online

Latest posts