Any AROD news?!?

DTown SBrown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im hearing rumors of out next week to week to week basis on concussion test results due to it being the 2nd of the season for him.

Anyone track down the new concussion rules and know what the real deal is?

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
New NFL Concussion Rules Take Effect - CBS News

The new policy states, in part: "Once removed for the duration of a practice or game, the player should not be considered for return-to-football activities until he is fully asymptotic, both at rest and after exertion, has a normal neurological examination, normal neuropsychological testing, and has been cleared to return by both his team physician(s) and the independent neurological consultant."
This is all I've found on last year's new rules. It doesn't appear that there are any newer rules (other than those regarding illegal hits) and in most of the articles I've read, this is all I've seen in terms of an official statement by the NFL.

There's nothing in there about 2 concussions in one year, the cutoff is simply whether or not he is still symptomatic and he must be cleared by an independent neurologist.

EDIT: just after posting, I realized it says "in part", but I haven't found anything that lists the entire statement, just this part.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
NFL.com Blogs » Blog Archive League announces stricter concussion guidelines «

• Commissioner Roger Goodell notified NFL teams today that a new and expanded statement on return-to-play for a player who sustains a concussion will take effect with games beginning this week.

• The stricter 2009 statement on return-to-play was developed by the NFL’s medical committee on concussions in conjunction with team doctors, outside medical experts, and the NFL Players Association in order to provide more specificity in making return-to-play decisions. The new guidance supplements the 2007 statement on return-to-play that encouraged team physicians and athletic trainers to continue to take a conservative approach to treating concussions and established that a player should not return to the same game after a concussion if the team medical staff determined that he had lost consciousness.

• The 2009 statement advises that a player who suffers a concussion should not return to play or practice on the same day if he shows any signs or symptoms of a concussion that are outlined in the return-to-play statement. It further states:

• “Once removed for the duration of a practice or game, the player should not be considered for return-to-football activities until he is fully asymptomatic, both at rest and after exertion, has a normal neurological examination, normal neuropsychological testing, and has been cleared to return by both his team physician(s) and the independent neurological consultant. A critical element of managing concussions is candid reporting by players of their symptoms following an injury. Accordingly, players are to be encouraged to be candid with team medical staffs and fully disclose any signs or symptoms that may be associated with a concussion.”

• Based on the 2009 statement, a player who suffers a concussion should not return to play or practice on the same day if any of the following symptoms or signs is identified based on the initial medical evaluation of the player:

• Loss of consciousness;

• Confusion as evidenced by disorientation to person, time or place; inability to respond appropriately to questions; or inability to remember assignments or plays;

• Amnesia as evidenced by a gap in memory for events occurring just prior to the injury; inability to learn and retain new information; or a gap in memory for events that occurred after the injury;

• Abnormal neurological examination, such as abnormal pupillary response, persistent dizziness or vertigo, or abnormal balance on sideline testing.

• New and persistent headache, particularly if accompanied by photosensitivity, nausea, vomiting or dizziness;

• Any other persistent signs or symptoms of concussion.

• “The evidence demonstrates that team medical staffs have been addressing concussions in an increasingly cautious and conservative way,” Commissioner Goodell said in a memo to the NFL clubs. “This new return-to-play statement reinforces our commitment to advancing player safety. Along with improved equipment, better education, and rules changes designed to reduce impacts to the head, it will make our game safer for the men who play it, and set an important example for players at all levels of play.”

The entire press release, from NFL.com. Again, nothing in there about number of concussions in a year affecting anything.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have never heard of anything about the number in one year being a factor.

We wont have much info until Wednesday or Thursday. If he practices at all he plays.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
There is no rule that he has to sit out a week..

Just that the test might get a little harder to pass.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed with what everyone above stated. He has to pass a battery of tests and be cleared by both a physician and a private, 3rd party doctor, before he can practice.

What people are saying is, because it's his second in only a matter of months, it could be tougher to pass the test this time around.

Edit- We won't have any solid info until Wed. at the soonest.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no rule about having two in one season, but I think from Rodgers' health point of view, I'd like to see him sit next week. This is our franchise, and this season doesn't have a lot of optimism left as far as I'm concerned. Protect his health. Two in two months is scary.

Reaction score
living on the east coast here in canada i'm surrounded by patriots fans. they are licking there chops about getting to rodgers.

i'm a big Packers fan and was wondering if maybe Rodgers should sit this one out. not because of the patriots but being the 2nd concussion he could use the rest. also the last 2 games of the year may be the most important of all season. right now i think our only chance of the payoffs is to beat chicago for 3rd seed. wild card is not looking good

FiercePierce6

Cheesehead
Reaction score
right now i think our only chance of the payoffs is to beat chicago for 3rd seed. wild card is not looking good[/QUOTE]

Nah man, if we beat the Giants week 16 we could be a wild card, and if we have the same record as Philly, we have the tiebreaker. But I do think our best shot is for the division. I think it is definitely a possibility that the Bears lose out.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has to pass the written test, and he can't have any lingering symptoms. If there's any doubt, he should sit out.

Members online

Latest posts