Another twist on the Packers' "G" logo

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love stories about dad.

My uncle actually designed one of the 3 most famous logos in the world and never made much money off of it. He never even used it to drum up business. But I can't imagine designing the packers G and even the most hardcore packer historian isn't sure you did it. That would eat at me.

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
...and yet another take on the "G" ... I love Georgia's "take" on the topic. Hahaha... for cryin' out loud...they copied Yale for their "architecture", stole The Battle Hymn of the Republic as their "fight song" and copied the Pack for the design on the helmet, yet ... somehow, THEY made if better and the Packers end copying them?? Almost makes them sound like North Korea's PR department:

http://www.georgiadogs.com/ot/geo-traditions.html

The Georgia "G" Helmet
In 1963 after becoming the Bulldogs' Head Football Coach, Vince Dooley redesigned the football uniform choosing a red helmet with a black "G" on a white background as the dominant feature of the new uniform for the 1964 season.
He discussed with his staff that a forward-looking "G" would be an appropriate emblem for the helmet of the Georgia team. Dooley had just hired John Donaldson, former Georgia player from 1945 to 1948, as backfield coach. John was keen on the idea of a new image and volunteered his wife, Anne, who had a BFA in commercial art from UGA to design a logo for the new Georgia helmet with the general specifications Dooley had outlined. Dooley accepted Anne's original "G" which fit his vision for a forward look to Georgia's new emblem.
Since the Georgia "G"- though different in design and color- was similar to Green Bay's "G", Coach Dooley thought it best to clear the use of Georgia's new emblem with the NFL team. Athletic Director Joel Eaves called for permission which was granted. However, since its inception in 1961, the Green Bay "G" has been redesigned several times and now looks like Georgia's original 1964 "G." Georgia is proud that the Packers apparently liked the special nuances of the Bulldogs' forward-looking "G."
Georgia's oval "G", eventually replacing Georgia's old block "G" as the official UGA symbol, has stood the test of time. It made its first appearance in the opening game in 1964 and was an immediate hit with the Georgia fans, especially after Dooley's first three teams were so successful--highlighted by the 1966 SEC Championship."

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I kinda wish they would go back to using the football-shaped G, which was until 1970 or 1971, I'm not sure. The current oval-shaped G began in at least 1972, because all the pictures from that season - logo is the same as today's.

Latest posts