Another Packer Believer

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Big Question: Packers? Really?

By Kevin Seifert May 18
Are the Packers who we think they are?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Kirby Lee/Image of Sport/US PresswireWith nearly the entire team returning, and Aaron Rodgers at quarterback, the Packers should be elite this season.

I thought I was stepping out on a limb by suggesting the Packers should be the preseason favorites in the NFC North. This week, Sports Illustrated's Peter King took things up a notch by placing the Packers atop his spring power rankings. For the entire NFL.

Here's what King wrote:
It's not just the maturation of Aaron Rodgers. It's the carryover from a fluky end to 2009 (the weird playoff loss at Arizona) and the fact that only one team in football -- New Orleans -- had a better point differential than the Pack's plus-164 last year. I like Jermichael Finley to become a great player in his second starting season. I don't trust the pass-rush (where Clay Matthews is the only real thing), and I worry about two of the top three corners coming off ACL surgery, and aging. But the defensive front is formidable, and a very good match for the good run teams of the NFC North. I also like Weeks 2 through 5 on the schedule (Buffalo, at Chicago, Detroit, at Washington), which sets up for a strong start.​
I agree with much of King's assessment, especially the Packers' early schedule -- one that could have them 5-1 or 6-0 entering an Oct. 24 Lambeau Field showdown with the Minnesota Vikings. We've discussed Finley's projection several times this offseason. Most importantly, the Packers have every reason to believe they have an elite quarterback -- a critical ingredient for any championship-caliber team. Everything about Rodgers' first two seasons suggests he should be considered among the game's five best starters.

But that's as far as we can go. Preseason projections give us something to talk about in May -- when the regular season is a tortuous four months away -- and nothing more. Division champions? Super Bowl winners? Who knows. There are too many unpredictable hurdles in an NFL season to make any kind of serious projection.

All we can say with certainty is the Packers will return the same team that won seven of its last eight regular season games last season.They have the makings of a really good team -- and should be deeply disappointed if they aren't.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a fan I fear the hype, and am concerned with the Vikings before the playoffs. We must beat them to be a legit team IMO.

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a fan I fear the hype, and am concerned with the Vikings before the playoffs. We must beat them to be a legit team IMO.

Absolutely. We need to sweep 'em this year.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Historically we've had problems sweeping the queens even before #4 joined their ranks. If we split the series we can still win the division and that should be our main goal = winning the division.

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pugger, I think the goals are:

1) NFL Championship #13
2) Sweep Vikes, thereby ending career of certain no.4
3) Sweep Bears

No.1 is the only one really, really important.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

1) NFL Championship #13
3) Sweep Bears

Honestly, the only goal the team should have is #1

I believe that beating the rivals is always nice, but it's not really important. It is, if your team won't reach the playoffs... Then it's the consolation prize...

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The superbowl is the number 1 target for any team out there. It's not like the New Orleans Saints started off the season by saying "hey we need to crush the falcons" or the Steelers the year before saying "the ravens should not get past us." No, instead each of these superbowl winners had one thing on their mind and that was the superbowl.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

1) NFL Championship #13
3) Sweep Bears

Absolutely, #13 is the most important. I was just saying sweeping the queens isn't. :)

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score

1) NFL Championship #13
3) Sweep Bears

I like that list ........but ummmmmm...........what about the Lions? Games that we should win are usually the ones that worry me. Like Tampa Bay last year!!!

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like that list ........but ummmmmm...........what about the Lions? Games that we should win are usually the ones that worry me. Like Tampa Bay last year!!!

That's true. Every season even before they went 0-16 I was never worried about the Lions. The fact that they had a pretty good draft scares me a little. But then again it's the Lions. A million things have to go right before you can actually percieve the Lions as a "threat."

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't a team need to sweep 2 of it division rivals to really secure the division? I understand that the overall record is the most important but with six of the 16 games being the division opponents, having a 5-1 or 4-2 record for those games is many times better than just splitting them IMO.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If memory serves had we split the series with MN last season we would've won the division because we would've had a better record than MN did within the division, right?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If memory serves had we split the series with MN last season we would've won the division because we would've had a better record than MN did within the division, right?
That is exactly correct.
All we had to do was win ONE of our games against those Grape Apes.

That's partly why I remain so pissed at Johnny Jolly because of his idiotic, ghetto-ish personal foul penalty he committed after we stopped them on a key 3rd down play, giving them a 1st down deep in our territory and then they scored a TD.

Again, we failed to sack that bast*rd Farve one single time so he carved us up. We could bring in any 2 new CB's to help cover back there, but if nobody gets pressure on #4, we're dead back there. The Saints, and Bears, and Panthers, and Cardinals all showed what can happen to Farve when he gets sacked and hit and banged hard. He rushes and gets scared amd makes mistakes.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping the addition of Neal and Wilson and the return of Lee and Underwood (and eventually, hopefully, Harris) will add pressure to opposing QBs in 2010 and not allow them to pick us apart.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is exactly correct.
All we had to do was win ONE of our games against those Grape Apes.

That's partly why I remain so pissed at Johnny Jolly because of his idiotic, ghetto-ish personal foul penalty he committed after we stopped them on a key 3rd down play, giving them a 1st down deep in our territory and then they scored a TD.

Again, we failed to sack that bast*rd Farve one single time so he carved us up. We could bring in any 2 new CB's to help cover back there, but if nobody gets pressure on #4, we're dead back there. The Saints, and Bears, and Panthers, and Cardinals all showed what can happen to Farve when he gets sacked and hit and banged hard. He rushes and gets scared amd makes mistakes.
I'm pissed with Jolly because he just can't pressure the QB. That's why he got so many batted balls... Like some poster in here said, don't remember who, Jolly+Hawk=QB happiness.

That's why I liked the DL picks... Wasn't happy about our DL in the first place.

Hope Raji plays like he was drafted, too. He showed some flashes of sheer dominance last season. He needs to bring it consistantly...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts