Another Nick Collins?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is there a projected cornerback who can transition to be a great safety?

Nick Collins, Cornerback, 5-11, 206

I was looking back at the NFLDraftScout stuff and other rankings, ratings, from the 2005 Draft.
For us, it was Teddy Thompson's first draft, and his first 2 picks became Hall of Fame quality players:

Aaron Rodgers
Nick Collins

But what even I didn't know, since I never heard of him before we drafted him, was that he was a projected cornerback, out of Bethune-Cookman.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=53604&draftyear=2005&genpos=CB

Look at his numbers, no wonder.... he had elite speed.

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=Nick&l=Collins&i=7072

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/551584

{QUOTE}Negatives … More of a grabber than a striker when tackling in run support … Does not get a good jump coming back to fill the running lanes … Plays too deep in centerfield and has to hurry in order to make plays in front of him … Concentration tends to wander when he is not immediately in the play … Takes some false steps coming out of his backpedal on deep routes … Can be fooled by head fakes and play action … Struggles in run support come mostly because he takes poor angles to the ball … Despite his size, he can be overpowered by the bigger backs near the line of scrimmage … Needs to stay more alert to the receiver's double moves and will blow a coverage …. Might have problems with the mental aspect of the game (struggles to digest a complicated playbook).

Positives … Has very good overall muscle development, V-shaped upper torso, with broad shoulders and chest … Adequate in man coverage, mirroring the receiver's moves while maintaining position as the play develops … Effective jamming his man in press coverage … Allows little cushion off the line of scrimmage and shows above average straight-line speed and adequate change of direction … Shows some looseness in his hips, turning fluidly coming out of his backpedal … Will play the ball in the air, keeping eye contact on the pass and a hand on the receiver … Has the acceleration to run ball carriers down … Adjusts and times his jumps to get to the ball at its high point, showing natural hands to extend away from the body's frame in order to make the interception … Still a work in progress as a tackler, but does stay low making wrap-up tackles in space … His straight-line acceleration, leaping ability and marginal play recognition skills could see him shift outside to cornerback in the pros (plays the man better than the ball).{/QUOTE}

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Collins played Safety for most of his college career. He didn't play CB til his Senior year.

Gilbert, Fuller, Roby, Desir, McGill, Gaines, Davis, Colvin. People tell me the Florida guys, but IMO they play too much man.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dontae Johnson North Carolina state 6-2 200 4.41 40, 38.5 vert, 6.82 3 cone, 1.57 10 yard split, 4.24 shuttle, 10' 4" broad jump, 12 reps 225

D

Deleted member 6794

I think Kyle Fuller would be the perfect choice as Justin Gilbert will probably be gone by #21. But you have to realize it will take a CB some time to be productive at FS, it took Collins three years as well to become an impact player.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I think Kyle Fuller would be the perfect choice as Justin Gilbert will probably be gone by #21. But you have to realize it will take a CB some time to be productive at FS, it took Collins three years as well to become an impact player.
He wasn't a CB.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts