Announcers you hate, particularly as a Packers fan, past and present

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Not knowing your TV size is like not knowing your social security number or your own birthday... c'mon man, guy code.lol

Just adjust the aspect ratio of your tv, that may help with viewing stations that make their on screen ticker smaller than others.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not knowing your TV size is like not knowing your social security number or your own birthday... c'mon man, guy code.lol

Just adjust the aspect ratio of your tv, that may help with viewing stations that make their on screen ticker smaller than others.
You know, it should be perfectly OK to put on your resume' or job application that you know how to work a TV remote under the skills category for any job.
NASA: Application for Rocket Scientist; Any other special skills? I can work the TV remote with no problem.
Your hired!

OK thanks for the tip. I may give it a try.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
We've gotten spoiled the past 15 or so years. When the Packers again were consistently relevant, the quality of announcers went up. The bottom feeders we had to watch from the mid 70's through mid 90's make any current pair seem like all stars. I do like Bob Harlans' kid but find his tone of voice just not right..

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WINNER!!!! Chris tries to hide the fact that he hates the packers and does a **** poor job of it and troy sounds like a bumbling idiot when he speaks (to many blows to the skull I am guessing).

I miss Madden. He liked the Packers and loved coming to GB. He was entertaining. I liked the way he would get a brat or sausage and put it on the teleprompter and circle the onions and toppings...... that guy was fun to have calling a game.
That's why I like Jon Gruden.
I don't think any other broadcaster shows the passion and love for the game as he and Madden did as well as the knowledge.
You can't really do much better than to put a SB winning coach who took the time to study the game when he was coaching and then takes it into the booth.
Those guys do their homework and it shows. Other broadcasters just phone it in.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I imagine most here are too young to remember Curt Gowdy. He was the announcer for the AFL in the 60s, and was a shameless shill for the league, despised by all NFL fans. The league was a joke, we used to laugh at the pass-happy offenses, and loved it when the Packers handed it to the AFL in the first 2 interleague games, unfortunately named Super Bowl. How were we to know the NFL would become what we thought was a joke ?

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
We've gotten spoiled the past 15 or so years. When the Packers again were consistently relevant, the quality of announcers went up. The bottom feeders we had to watch from the mid 70's through mid 90's make any current pair seem like all stars. I do like Bob Harlans' kid but find his tone of voice just not right..

I like Kevin Harlan, but can anyone explain to me why he does Packer preseason games with Rich Gannon?!?! Gannon never played for the Pack and seeing him in the press box wearing a Packer polo shirt is strange to me.

Beebe82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Kevin Harlan, but can anyone explain to me why he does Packer preseason games with Rich Gannon?!?! Gannon never played for the Pack and seeing him in the press box wearing a Packer polo shirt is strange to me.

On McCarthy's resume of QBs he helped develop you'll see Aaron Brooks, Elvis Grbac, Steve Bono, Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers and former MVP Rich Gannon. I think Gannon feels he owes his career to Mike McCarthy (or McCarthy to Gannon... not sure) so he announces Packer games and is probably hoping to one day be on the list of QB coach candidates and eventually move up the ladder in McCarthy's system.

I think Gannon is actually an okay color commentator, he goes a little over the top with his "Packer Pride" and doesn't do enough research on the opposing team, but he knows how to deliver insightful comments and provides actual examples of what training camp and the preseason as an on the bubble or marginal player can be like.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
On McCarthy's resume of QBs he helped develop you'll see Aaron Brooks, Elvis Grbac, Steve Bono, Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers and former MVP Rich Gannon. I think Gannon feels he owes his career to Mike McCarthy (or McCarthy to Gannon... not sure) so he announces Packer games and is probably hoping to one day be on the list of QB coach candidates and eventually move up the ladder in McCarthy's system.

I think Gannon is actually an okay color commentator, he goes a little over the top with his "Packer Pride" and doesn't do enough research on the opposing team, but he knows how to deliver insightful comments and provides actual examples of what training camp and the preseason as an on the bubble or marginal player can be like.

Thanks that makes sense. Yeah Gannon doesn't do a bad job... Just didn't make sense to me.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Definitely Buck and Aikman. Never forget watching a game we weren't playing in last year and a receiver set a pick and Troy mentioned the Packers do it all the time and get away with it. He isn't a play by play guy but Ross Tucker on NFL radio early in the morning is so anti Packer it is pathetic. He is so dismissive to Packer fans when they call in and say they feel good about our team. I would love to turn the station but unfortunately nothing NFL specific is on early. Now on their midday show Rich Gannon loves the Packers and Mike McCarthy

The Packers do run picks all the time and get away with it.

Personally, I took that remark as a compliment because he was saying how good the Packers are at running those pick plays.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there is a consensus at all on that. As I stated none of them are really ideal. I would favor a minimalist take on announcing. BUt compared to the others, they are a much better alternative.
Like who? Half the time Aikman can't keep names straight and he contradicts himself constantly. He started out okay as an announcer, but in the past few years those concussions have been catching up with him.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
During the Super Bowl Aikmen said something along the lines of, "Richard Sherman is the best in the league, but the Seahawks don't lose much when he goes out due the guy replacing him (forget his name)."

How does a team lose the best corner in the league and not have lose much? That was really stupid to me.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I have to agree with the poster who commented that prior to the Pack returning to relevance, Packers games always drew the absolute worst team of announcers available -- and I mean bottom-of-the-barrel.

Hard to compare those days to today's game whereas now, it seems the color commentator is charged with coming up with something absolutely profound and in the process, usually ends up dumping cliches. I mean, these guys press real hard to be cutting edge, but how many "new" observations can they come up with ... "He put that ball where NOBODY else could catch it." Yeah...whatever, OK ....

Today, in my opinion only, Jon Gruden is just ... well, tedious. The guy just LOVES everyone. That's great if you're a Sunday School teacher, but loving EVERYONE is a hard scorecard to live up to. Buck and Aikman are always hard pressed to come up anything positive to say about the Packers ... always have been and I've developed something of an immunity to them -- sorta like the referee in the Budweiser commercial that gets beat like a rented mule by a head coach and then his wife ( in my best Jon Gruden voice: I just LOVE that guy!! ).

Past announcers, I'm just hard pressed to think of any one announcer who was worse than Jerry Glanville.

The elimination of the 5 second delay between the radio broadcast and the TV image probably isn't going to happen, but, I would definitely subscribe to that kind of service if available.

One thing though about Wayne Larrivee, listening to his play-by-play .... the guy can make a dive into the line sound like a 20-yard break-away run. :) It breaks my heart every time he goes through his schtick and then tacks on "...for maybe a half yard gain..." at the end of the call. Hahaha... :)

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to agree with the poster who commented that prior to the Pack returning to relevance, Packers games always drew the absolute worst team of announcers available -- and I mean bottom-of-the-barrel.

Hard to compare those days to today's game whereas now, it seems the color commentator is charged with coming up with something absolutely profound and in the process, usually ends up dumping cliches. I mean, these guys press real hard to be cutting edge, but how many "new" observations can they come up with ... "He put that ball where NOBODY else could catch it." Yeah...whatever, OK ....

Today, in my opinion only, Jon Gruden is just ... well, tedious. The guy just LOVES everyone. That's great if you're a Sunday School teacher, but loving EVERYONE is a hard scorecard to live up to. Buck and Aikman are always hard pressed to come up anything positive to say about the Packers ... always have been and I've developed something of an immunity to them -- sorta like the referee in the Budweiser commercial that gets beat like a rented mule by a head coach and then his wife ( in my best Jon Gruden voice: I just LOVE that guy!! ).

Past announcers, I'm just hard pressed to think of any one announcer who was worse than Jerry Glanville.

The elimination of the 5 second delay between the radio broadcast and the TV image probably isn't going to happen, but, I would definitely subscribe to that kind of service if available.

One thing though about Wayne Larrivee, listening to his play-by-play .... the guy can make a dive into the line sound like a 20-yard break-away run. :) It breaks my heart every time he goes through his schtick and then tacks on "...for maybe a half yard gain..." at the end of the call. Hahaha... :)
That can be taken care of: http://www.sportsyncradio.com/
Looks like I can plug it into the stereo. I never saw that option before.

Thx, I couldn't think of his name but I agree.

Bignutz

I'm a victim of coicumstances!
Reaction score
Joe Buck hands down. Just can't stand him. Loved his Dad. As a St Louis Cardinals baseball fan grew up listening to Jack Buck call the cardinals BB games. Loved him. Joe can suck it!

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rotten: Jerry Glanville, Joe Buck, Troy Aikman, Dan Dierdorf, Chris Berman, Ron Pitts, Theismann.

only scratching the surface here - Matt Vasgersian(sp), Howard Cosell, Max McGee were/are my faves.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't mind Aikman, but Buck is horrible, and I think at times he takes Troy with him. Collinsworth comes across as the knowitall that probably couldn't tell the difference between an I formation and a Wing T. I'll also ask a question here, am I the only one who likes Siragusa for a 'sideline' reporter.

Members online

Latest posts