Andre Smith

GJ85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Andre smith was supposed to be a top three selection before his combine troubles. If he falls and is available to the packers would anyone take him?

NormalSizedMidget

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still bummed about him. Not because I thought he was going to drop to us so we could take him, but that he would stay in front of our #9 so possibly another player we want would be there when we got to our pick. Now with his antics as of late who knows. I'm not one that should be analyzing Olineman but he doesn't seem like a ZBS fit at all to me anyways, at least not at LT. I think Jason Smith would be amazing at 9 but I know that's never going to happen...

NormalSizedMidget

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This seems like a big deal on ESPN today, heard about 3 or 4 different people mentioning it and even trying to calculate all the money he may possibly be losing because of it.

flyguy4ever4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say this for him, watch his tape or film, he is a surefire top 5 pick. The guy is massive with pretty light feet, project first as a left tackle, if struggles with speed then move him to right tackle where he could be dominant, or at worst he could be a pro-bowl guard inside. Perfect fit as GB's right tackle from day one. Think GB needs someone like him on the line to set the tone in the run game when they need that 3rd and 1 or short, talking about a guy you know can blow up his man and not get pushed around.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
flyguy4ever4 said:
I will say this for him, watch his tape or film, he is a surefire top 5 pick. The guy is massive with pretty light feet, project first as a left tackle, if struggles with speed then move him to right tackle where he could be dominant, or at worst he could be a pro-bowl guard inside. Perfect fit as GB's right tackle from day one. Think GB needs someone like him on the line to set the tone in the run game when they need that 3rd and 1 or short, talking about a guy you know can blow up his man and not get pushed around.
I completely agree.

I feel like we'll all be kicking ourselves 5 years from now if he's not a Packer. And I know he doesn't seem like "Packer People" or whatever, but at a certain point you have to take a chance on a guy who has less than great character, because I think in this case the payoff would be huge.

freefromwhatyouare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He came to the combine out of shape. Blew it off like nothing. He had no problem with it. He left without telling anyone.

Why would you want this guy showing up for training camp out of shape? Would be a wasted pick and never obtain his potential because he is a immature out of shape moron.

This is a weak draft for linemen and he isn't this AMAZING tackle to begin with.

You will not see Ted Thompson take this kid anywhere in this draft.

It would be a huge mistake for any team to take him in the first round.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
freefromwhatyouare said:
He came to the combine out of shape. Blew it off like nothing. He had no problem with it. He left without telling anyone.

Why would you want this guy showing up for training camp out of shape? Would be a wasted pick and never obtain his potential because he is a immature out of shape moron.

This is a weak draft for linemen and he isn't this AMAZING tackle to begin with.

You will not see Ted Thompson take this kid anywhere in this draft.

It would be a huge mistake for any team to take him in the first round.
So you pass on a player with #1 overall pick skills because of a bad combine? I know I don't. Combines often mean nothing. Remember when Chris Henry (not the Bengals one) ran like a 4.2 and vaulted himself into the first round? Where is he now? It works both ways. Good players often have bad combines, bad players often have good combines. As far as the out of shape stuff goes, it's 4 months until training camp. He'll get into shape. Like I said in that other thread, there's a reason he was thought of as the top player in this year's draft class by many many people before the combine, it's because dude's got skills. I really think you could plug him into our line and be set at whatever position he'd take for the next 10 years.

NormalSizedMidget

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was huge on him during the season, didn't think there was anyway he would possibly be available to us at 9 but......well I just personally despise players with all the talent in the world that take it completely for granted like he seems to be right now and if just for that reason I'd rather pass on him. Maybe by draft day my mind will be changed again.

freefromwhatyouare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jess,

He didn't have a "bad combine" he completely blew off the combine. It had nothing to do with numbers because he didn't have any. You say he is such a "stud" well he came to Indy fat and slow and this is why he left because he knew the combine would show this.

You don't want a player that shows up for perhaps one of the most important days of career out of shape and then ducks out without a word to anyone.

You can't trust this player at this point and you also can't afford to be wasting picks on players who may just show up to camp out of shape or not show up at all.

Aa-rodg_is_cool

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So one bad mistake takes away all of his talent and everything he did in college?? Hes a young kid who messed up but that doesnt take away all of his skills and he should still be considered a top prospect.

flyguy4ever4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many of us out there were maybe cocky and made horrible decisions when we were 21 years old or whatever the kid is, maybe 22 or 23. Warren Sapp was supposed to be top 3 pick his draft year and slipped down past pick 10 I think because of his "character". He turned out pretty good. I say you can't take him off your board at pick 9, you have to take a serious look if he turns out to be available. He would be perfect at right tackle for GB next year and eventually could move over to left tackle to take over for Cliffy. I'm leaning more towards grabbing him because the other guys just aren't jumping out for me, unless Malcolm Jenkins comes out tomorrow and lights up the combine, in which case then he probably won't be there at #9.

freefromwhatyouare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
haha.

I'm glad that at least Ted Thompson has a clue and Andre Smith is not even on his radar. Smith is a non-issue when talking about the Packers draft this year.

Aa-rodg_is_cool

Cheesehead
Reaction score
freefromwhatyouare said:
haha.

I'm glad that at least Ted Thompson has a clue and Andre Smith is not even on his radar. Smith is a non-issue when talking about the Packers draft this year.

Do you have a personal relationship with TT? and you know whos on his board?? haha jk :rofl: but really Im pretty sure that God himself doesnt even know who TT is thinkin about pickin up

freefromwhatyouare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My personal relationships have no place here.

I will say though:

Ted is still in the process of putting together a board with a list of his and others top players in this draft. I do know enough to tell you that Ted gathers information himself and from many other sources to do this. The process is long and normally isn't done even on draft day.

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am in the camp that thinks that he is a wasted first round pick waiting to happen. The guy had character and work ethic concerns long before Saturday's gaffe, and the combine fiasco is really the icing on the cake.

Words like immature and dumb don't even come close to describing showing up out of shape for the biggest job interview he will ever have and then blowing it off all together. It is like any one of us on this board getting an interview for a CEO position of a multi-million dollar business and showing up carrying a McDonald's bag in zubaz and an "I'm With Stupid" t-shirt. Then waiting in the lounge for a half an hour and leaving before the interview because we didn't want to miss Pardon the Interruption.

Aa-rodg_is_cool

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So basically everyones sayin that smiths stupidity isnt fixable and that discards all the talent this kid has.. I mean come on.. So I guess 1 screw up = complete failure? Just cause everyone couldnt see the kid lift weights and run 40 times doesnt mean that the kid cant play the game.....

freefromwhatyouare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No it doesn't mean you can't play the game. It means he can't be trusted and is immature. It means he may not show up for you on Sunday's. As a human being I support him. But when you are dealing with the life or death of a NFL franchise and millions of dollars you just can't be a "nice" person all the time.

This also is not the "only" "screw up" this player has ever made. He was known in college to be out of shape in pre-season practices. He has been called "lazy" by some. He was suspended for the Sugar Bowl for "violation of team rules" The combine was just another thing in a negative trend by this player.

This isn't anyone being ******* Andre. It's Andre being ******* himself.

Members online

Latest posts