And the Packers next QB is...

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jabbering going on in the Philadelphia press about Jeff Garcia.

He's UFA. McNabb is set to come back, so the speculation is if Favre retires, the Packers will try to sign Garcia as starter/insurance in case Aaron Rodgers does this generation's version of Don Horn.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jabbering going on in the Philadelphia press about Jeff Garcia.

He's UFA. McNabb is set to come back, so the speculation is if Favre retires, the Packers will try to sign Garcia as starter/insurance in case Aaron Rodgers does this generation's version of Don Horn.
Oh geez......Don Horn! Haven't heard that name since Zeke Bratkowski retired!!!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Garcia would be the logical choice if Favre leaves, and I think the Packers would be an attractive option for Garcia because he would have a much better chance of beating out Rodgers than beating out McNabb.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hasn't he ended up starting on each of the last 3 teams he signed with in that capacity?? Nothing against Jeff but we don't need that kind of luck if he's backing up Favre!!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hasn't he ended up starting on each of the last 3 teams he signed with in that capacity?? Nothing against Jeff but we don't need that kind of luck if he's backing up Favre!!

Nobody is suggesting he back up Favre. He would only be a consideration if Favre leaves.

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The coaching staff hasn't been afraid of letting inexperienced players start rather than getting another player from free agency. I expect that if Favre retires, we'll start Rodgers.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Nobody is suggesting he back up Favre. He would only be a consideration if Favre leaves.

Greg,

Thank You so much for getting this thread back on track.

Packinsteel, is making a great point, but the question is really (And it was a great question.)

Do we bring in a Vet like Garcia if Brett rides off into the sunset?
Would that be the best situation for Young Arron? Would it push him? Will it help him having a Vet in camp to learn from for one more year.

I would say, YES. If Brett rides off.... Bring in a proven Vet to push or help the kid, and it all depends on how one looks at it... Pushing or helping the kid is a Win-Win.

RP

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Read on pro football weekly that it's Aaron Rodgers next year unless Favre returns. Pretty much if it's not Favre, it's Rodgers.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packer's plan all along is Rodgers is the Packers starting QB after Favre retires. If Favre were to retire, I would guess the Packers would bring in a veteran QB to back up Rodgers. But we are getting ahead of ourselves, Farve has not announced he is retiring as of this date! So right now Brett Favre is the Packers starting QB for '07 season unless he says different.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Damon Huard or Trent Green will be let go by the Chiefs, either could be a good backup if Brett dosent come back.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Damon Huard or Trent Green will be let go by the Chiefs, either could be a good backup if Brett dosent come back.

Trent Green would be a great back-up, but I don't know if that is going to happen. I think he is still talented enough to get a starting job somewhere. I mean, even Kerry Collins (even though he lost it) got one.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF Favre retires, to me, you go with who you think is your long range starter. Maybe get a vet for backup. But Rodgers (if he's the guy) is the one that starts.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF Favre retires, to me, you go with who you think is your long range starter. Maybe get a vet for backup. But Rodgers (if he's the guy) is the one that starts.

I think that once Favre is gone, it's all or nothing with Rodgers. Really, I don't see GB spending any substantial amount on a FA QB. I think TT fully believes in the kid and is willing to let the franchise pretty much ride on him for at least two seasons, barring an epic bomb in his first year starting.

Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
I think TT fully believes in the kid and is willing to let the franchise pretty much ride on him for at least two seasons, barring an epic bomb in his first year starting.

I totally agree with this.

For a coaching staff to not make a change at safety when a player like Manuel played terribly, I just can't see them yanking Rodgers out at the first sign of trouble.

I expect them to mainly have a backup in case of injury, and I was originally thinking it'd be a good idea to sign Griese, but he has stated he wants to go to a place where he has a fair shot of starting and I don't see that happening in GB.

My only problem with the idea of signing Garcia is that after McNabb's injury, and given his recent injuries, I'd have to think Philly tries its hardest to keep Garcia as insurance.

OP
OP
net

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This isn't training camp.

The goal is to win the title, not "look good".

Can Rodgers win the title if Favre retires? Jury's out.

Can Garcia win the title for Green Bay? More likely.

If "Young Aaron" wins the QB COMPETITION,(should Favre retire) then he is expected to perform at the level necessary to win the title. This will be his third year on the team. The training wheels must come off.

But if he plays like a rookie,(think Grossman) get the hook and put a vet in there who can lead A. Green, Donald Driver, Bubba, Kampman, KGB, Barnett, Al Harris, Clifton and Tauscher and the rest of the long-suffering vets to the title shot.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haven't been here in a while

I think that if Brett retires, we'll have a 3 way battle between Rodgers, Troy Smith/Drew Stanton/Trent Edwards, and Damon Huard/Jeff Garcia/Matt Schaub.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Brett's gone, we need to fill that spot with someone who has a legit shot at becoming a starting QB someday.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is our quarteback of the future.
For those of you that say he can't be "that guy", don't because none of us has seen enough of him to know what he can, or can't do.
It's a tough deal to try to fill the shoes of a legend.
We all need to support him until he proves he can't do the job.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson is building a team that isn't going to rely on the QB as much as it has in years past. One problem that has been lingering with Green Bay is we always live and die with Brett Favre. Judging from the recent drafts and free agency it appears GB is building a team that can win with running the ball and playing good Defense. He's making it as easy as possible for Rodgers to come in and succeed which is why I don't think there should be any excuses made for Rodgers if he does fail. Drafted A.J. Hawk with the 5th pick. All his big free agent signings have been on the Defense. Chose to give Scott Wells a contract extension. Drafted 3 offensive linemen and 2 of them were on the 1st day of the Draft. Hired a coach that is installing the zone blocking scheme.

For those reasons it seems that Rodgers is going to step in and not be asked to do quite as much as Brett Favre did. Only thing missing is a young RB which I feel we'll be getting this off season. The next time a Quarterback starts a game for the Packers it’s either going to be Rodgers or Favre. I’m sure we’ll have a veteran backup to help Rodgers along and be there in case he does down but like him or not Aaron Rodgers is the successor to Brett Favre.

Members online