And the Beat Goes On...

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And the Beat Goes On...
By Bruce Smith
PackerChatters

And the Beat Goes on... Drums keep poundin' a rhythm to the brain... and a 37 year old competitor keeps on rollin’

Lost in all of the ga, ga regarding Peyton’s little brother Eli “toughening-it-out” and playing with a shoulder sprain, was another notch in the Iron-man streak of one Brett Lorenzo Favre.

Watching the old veteran light up like a little kid and leading this kiddy corp squad (the youngest in the NFL) to another victory it is easy to forget his incredible streak and record, that like the energizer bunny goes on and on and on....

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Of course another record fell today, perhaps the one nearest and dearest to any true competitor’s heart – the record for most wins by an NFL QB. One cannot start a game review without a tip of the hat and a clear acknowledgment of this remarkable achievement.

Yes, 149 wins is the most ever accomplished by a NFL QB, and like the Iron-man streak, it may never be matched at whatever number Brett pushes it to before hanging up his brilliant career.

It is always a pleasure to watch history being recorded.

But of course these were not the only streaks that “rolled on.”

The Green Bay Packers notched their 6th straight win, dating back to their December '06 run. The Pack also notched their 2nd consecutive conference victory in this two week old season.

Looking at the schedule rolling into the season, not too many saw GB taking down the two top teams from the NFC east - nemesis Philadelphia Eagles at home and the NY Giants in their house in New York.

But here the Packers sit two weeks into the season, undefeated and an impressive streak that belies their youthful roster.

Even more impressive, this 35 - 13 shellacking at Giants Stadium was delivered with three Packer offensive starters not playing a single down (Jennings and Morency did not even suit-up for the game). Starting WR Greg Jennings sat for the 2nd straight week with a hamstring injury; starting HB Morency’s knee is not holding up and has had him down since the 1st day of training camp, and starting RG Jason Spitz (calf injury) was down and may have lost his spot as ‘Juice’ Coston got his first NFL start.

Last week against Philly, a two headed monster (defense and special teams) stopped a different type (certainly more painful) of streak - the one that had the Eagles dominating the Packers since 2003.

This week GB showed up in New York with a third head – the offense, to put together a team win that was achieved by contributions from all three units - offense, defense and special teams.

Brett Favre was brilliant, especially in the 2nd half - going 11-for-11 in the third quarter and completed his first three passes of the fourth quarter for 14-straight completions. In doing so Brett was spreading the rock.

Brett threw to eight different players, including eight receptions combined by tight ends Donald Lee and Bubba Franks, nine receptions combined by running backs Brandon Jackson (4), Korey Hall (2), DeShawn Wynn (2) and Ryan Grant (1), and twelve to his starting WR’s Donald Driver (8) & James Jones (4).

Favre’s one blemish on his impressive passing day (112.4 QB rating) was a well thrown pass that bounced off of Donald Driver’s chest and up in the air for an interception in the 1st half.

In the 2nd half Brett was “lights-out” while throwing threw three touchdown passes and keeping NY off the field for much of the 2nd half. For the day Favre was only sacked once.

The running game looked anemic again in the 1st half, with many runs never getting going and being tackled at or behind the line of scrimmage, conjuring up visions of last week’s 47 yards rushing stinker.

However, at crunch time the RB seemed to find life. DeShawn Wynn (10 carries for 50 yards) rushed for two touchdowns, one of 6 yards and the other 38 that iced the game late. Brandon Jackson struggled but moved north south in his 17 carries for 36 yards.

The 83 yards was an improvement over last weeks 47, but that is not where the most positive signs came from this young inexperienced corp. All of the backs contributed as receivers and all picked up blitz responsibilities much better than last week.

The offensive line continued to struggle in run blocking, but were greatly improved in their pass blocking - only giving up one sack on the day, and at times giving Favre plenty of time to scan the field for 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th options in the passing game.

Some might be tempted to see this as the defense regressing and taking a step back. But when one considers that the Packers were facing a very high powered offense and only gave up their 2nd TD of the season - again on a perfectly thrown pass. Bigby was in position to make a play, but Eli’s pass was just out of his grasp and into the stretched out arms of 6-5 Plaxico Burress. Harris, with his ailing elbow let Burress run untouched off the line of scrimmage, but again that was the only big play (and TD) that the defense gave up on the day.

Barnett continued to play well, especially at key moments in the game. Bush looked great as the nickle back. The defensive line gave up a few more runs than expected, but the safeties Collins and Bigby were active and came up and kept the plays from hurting the team in any significant way. Woodson had a poor game (especially in the effort and hustle areas), but the Giants have a talented group of receivers and he did not let the team down in any big plays that hurt their chances for victory.

The special teams, were in a word special again. Mason Crosby returned to earth this week and missed a 42-yard field goal attempt, but it looked to be a poor snap and hold. Williams looked like the real deal, despite having a 46-yard kick return before half wiped away by a Colin Cole holding penalty. But came back to start the 2nd half with a 42-yard kick-off return. Charlie Peprah turned human missile to force a fumble on a kick-off that Tracy White for the second straight week came up with at the bottom of the scrum.

A nod needs to go to Mike McCarthy as the young 2nd year Head Coach called the best game of his brief career.

This young Packer squad is off to a great 2 - 0 start. Perhaps most exciting is that they are likely to keep growing, developing and improving as “the beat goes on...”

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Nice.

You know what would be awesome.
Perhaps I need sleep, but it would be cool to have you voice over your writings over a packer highlight video. Since the video's could be lengthy, there could a narrative pause between segments in which is filled with music which then fades out as you continue reading.

Anyhooters, good read! :)

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice.

You know what would be awesome.
Perhaps I need sleep, but it would be cool to have you voice over your writings over a packer highlight video. Since the video's could be lengthy, there could a narrative pause between segments in which is filled with music which then fades out as you continue reading.

Anyhooters, good read! :)

I would need to work with a video artist to do such a creation.

Meanwhile, I added a pictoral element to the post. I hope people enjoy the shots - I tried to place them fit the section of the article

Feedback would be nice :D

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Great read again Bruce. Overall great article and analysis.

He looks to be embracing the role of bringing this young team along. Watching him slap the side of Jones helmet and start laughing because it spooked him a little. A happy Brett will go along ways getting this offense to continue to gel as the season progresses.

If this becomes his last year here, I think it may become a special one. MM is turning the game over to Favre, which is something I believe he enjoys. I hope this line comes along soon, because it could be a special season if they start to click up front.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great article Bruce, seems like yours are always an enjoyable read! Thanks for always posting them on this site, too. I'm excited about Brett leading this team, I'm trying not to let myself actually believe that they can win against the Chargers next week!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the great article and great pictures. I agree that the Giants' TD was just a good pattern and a perfectly thrown ball. Sometimes that happens, and you have to tip your cap to the opposing team.

I was a little worried during the preseason when Favre made several comments about receivers running the wrong routes and even talked about the good old days when his receivers ran the right routes. But the receivers seem to have really improved in that area and maybe Favre has learned to be a little more patient as well. It was good that McCarthy talked to him about it. They all seem to be on the same page now.

mike_donnelly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that's a good read, except saying Giants and Eagles are top 2 NFC east teams, I think cowboys would have something to say about that, unless you are just going by last season's standings, then that is accurate.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce,

As usual, you have once again out down yourself with another fantastic article. Your pieces are always an enjoyment to read and the pictures are always a beautiful addition.

My thanks as always Bruce !!!

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amazing as always Bruce. I know I, along with many others, ALWAYS appreciate the work your put into your articles and thank you much for posting them here.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A nod needs to go to Mike McCarthy as the young 2nd year Head Coach called the best game of his brief career.

Once again, great write-up Bruce.

I did want to highlight one thing you mentioned though, this one about McCarthy. Lost in all the hoopla about Brett, the record, Eli Manning etc, was the fact that the Packers went into the locker room at half trailing the Giants and not playing that great on either side of the LOS. But they made the necessary adjustments and came out and blew the Giants away in the second half. That's good coaching.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you "Bruce Smith?"
If so............it just freaked me out when i saw the name.
Bruce Smith was my Dad and brother's names.
Both are gone......have been for a long time. Just freaked me out......sorry.

Members online

Latest posts