An Eagles Victory tomorrow night would help Packer's Chances

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok, so we've figured out what it takes for the packers to make the playoffs besides a win of their own against the Bears:

1)Giants loss
2)Rams loss OR Panthers win OR Falcons win

The reason an Eagles win would be nice for the packers is that it would clinch the #2 seed for the Saints, and then the saints wouldn't have anything to play for against the panthers, which might help the panthers chance of winning depending on if the saints sit their starters for ANY part of the game and the fact that mentally the saints won't be into the game very much. So, an Eagles win tomorrow would strengthen the Packers playoff chances.

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get it. The panthers are in the hunt with us. Why would we want them to win? Same for the eagles. WHY?!?!?!!?!?! please some1 clarify this for me.

OP
OP
Title Town USA

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get it. The panthers are in the hunt with us. Why would we want them to win? Same for the eagles. WHY?!?!?!!?!?! please some1 clarify this for me.
the packers can not catch the eagles due to tiebreakers, so it is a given the eagles will either win their division or be the 5 seed. The packers want the panthers to win because they own tiebreakers over them and rams if the 3 tied.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Panthers are already eliminated, I believe?
No they are not.

NFC playoff standings
Team W L T Div Conf
z -- 1. Chicago 13 2 0 5-0 11-0
z -- 2. New Orleans 10 5 0 4-1 9-2
x -- 3. Dallas 9 5 0 2-3 6-4
z -- 4. Seattle 8 7 0 3-3 6-5
5. Philadelphia 8 6 0 4-1 7-3
6. Giants 7 8 0 3-2 6-5
7. Green Bay 7 8 0 4-1 6-5
8. Carolina 7 8 0 4-1 5-6
9. Atlanta 7 8 0 2-3 5-6
10. St. Louis 7 8 0 2-4 5-6

Playoff Standings

Arizona, Detroit, Minnesota, Tampa Bay and Washington have been eliminated from playoff contention.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Cheez, that's what I was thinking.

PlayoffStatus.com reports each scenario with the Eagles losing against the Cowboys.

I'm gonna have to go with them. :|

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score

PlayoffStatus.com reports each scenario with the Eagles losing against the Cowboys.

how do you even know that site is credible?

You are correct Jennings85, an Eagles win clinches a first round for New Orleans. Meaning they wouldn't be playing for all of the game.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Re: An Eagles Victory tomorrow night would help Packer's Cha

Zero2Cool said:

You are correct Jennings85, an Eagles win clinches a first round for New Orleans. Meaning they wouldn't be playing for all of the game.

How do you know its not? You don't. Have you checked the tie breaker rules an compared them with what they have posted? Didn't think so. Go do that then come back an try implying they are not creditable ;)

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Packersfan43084 said:
Zero2Cool said:

How do you know its not? You don't. Have you checked the tie breaker rules an compared them with what they have posted? Didn't think so. Go do that then come back an try implying they are not creditable ;)

All i'm saying is that you don't know who made that site. Don't base your hopes on that site that's what i'm saying.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Zero2Cool said:
Packersfan43084 said:
Zero2Cool said:

All i'm saying is that you don't know who made that site. Don't base your hopes on that site that's what i'm saying.

And what I am saying is, instead of being cynical, check it out for yourself. Print off the standings, print off the tie breaker rules and check their accuracy.

The scenarios checked out, atleast for the Packers.

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ok, I'm not looking to argue with you. Our Packers are legitimate playoff contenders. We don't need to be negative with each other. :D

Of those scenarios, do the Giants need to lose against Washington?

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score

According to that site our beloveds have a 2% shot of getting in.

So you're tellin' me there's a chance!

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Case 5
Packers beat the Bears, and
Giants beat the Redskins, and
Eagles beat the Falcons, and
Saints beat the Panthers, and
Rams beat the Vikings

How does this one work out Zero?

If that were to happen, the standing would look like this:

Eagles 9-7
Giants 8-8
Rams 8-8
Packers 8-8

Considering we lost to both the Eagles and Rams, we would be done. Correct?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Case 5
Rams beat the Vikings

Eagles 9-7
Giants 8-8
Rams 8-8
Packers 8-8

Because the two teams have not played head-to-head, would have the same conference records (7-5) and would have the same record against common opponents (1-4), it would come down to strength of victory (the combined record of the opponents a team has beaten).

New York has a considerable lead in that department but a victory over the Bears would greatly enhance Green Bay's numbers.

There are a few scenarios in which Green Bay can overcome the Giants, but it will take some luck.

Basically, the Packers will be cheering for the Miami Dolphins to win tonight against the New York Jets and Sunday against Indianapolis. Then if the Giants beat Washington, the Packers would also want Detroit to beat Dallas, Seattle to beat Tampa Bay, Cleveland to beat Houston, Carolina to beat New Orleans, San Francisco to beat Denver and, of course, the Vikings to beat the Rams.

The Packers wouldn't necessarily need all those outcomes to occur, but a good number of them would be necessary in overcoming their deficit in strength of victory.

Three-way tie: The Packers can actually overcome a head-to-head deficit with St. Louis this way.

If the Packers tied with the Rams and Atlanta or Carolina they would win a tie-breaker based on a superior conference record over the other two.

Were they to tie with the Giants and any of the other three teams, they would wind up in the strength of victory tie-breaker with New York for the final spot.

The others would be eliminated because the Packers and Giants have a superior conference record at 7-5.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Ok, I'm not looking to argue with you. Our Packers are legitimate playoff contenders. We don't need to be negative with each other. :D

Of those scenarios, do the Giants need to lose against Washington?

I'm not arguing. You're the one who implied the site wasn't accurate ;)

Case 5
Rams beat the Vikings

Eagles 9-7
Giants 8-8
Rams 8-8
Packers 8-8

I think longtime answered this for ya

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not buying the idea that we want an Eagles win. Even ESPN's 'Last Call' reports:

America's Team, the Cowboys, will have a lot of folks in New York, Green Bay, the Carolinas, Atlanta, and St. Louis rooting for them in the nightcap. Terrell Owens may not be that popular among his peers these days but he'll certainly have fans in those cities hoping he gets the best of his former team, the Eagles.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm no expert, but I jus don't see how the Eagles winning helps the Packers more than the Cowboys beating them.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

i AM an expert, however

Cool. How does the Eagles beating the Cowboys help the Packers get in opposed to the Cowboys beating them?

Reaction score

tromadz said:
i AM an expert, however

Cool. How does the Eagles beating the Cowboys help the Packers get in opposed to the Cowboys beating them?

Have the Eagles/Giants played each other?

If so, then a win might be hurtful if it does come down to the strength of schedule.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

all about da packers said:
tromadz said:
i AM an expert, however

Have the Eagles/Giants played each other?

If so, then a win might be hurtful if it does come down to the strength of schedule.

Teams in the same division don't play one another. Silly Cannuck.

Members online

Latest posts