AmishMafia's mock draft.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Game plan: We need help on defense. We need: firey leaders; LBs who can pass rush; guys who know how - and are willing - to tackle; and DEs who can take up blockers and collapse the pocket. The DE does not need to be a pass rusher. The only sacks he needs to make are the ones where the QB tries to slip out of the collapsing pocket. We move Raji back to NT and Pickett comes in to spell Raji and spot duty at DE.

BTW - I used drafttec rankings to determine if a player was available or not.

Resigned:
Finley - Kid had a bad year with the drops. He has always been sure handed. My belief - the problem is with coaching. I remember when Bennett started coaching the WRs and some of the players have mentioned this - that they have been emphasizing run after catch. I'm not sure how much time the TEs spend with the WRs in running drills, but I wonder if the thought of YAC is even a very slight hinderance to concentrating on the catch. I think this will be corrected and he will come back in '12 and be amazing. He has 3 things: Amazing physical attributes; and a big desire to succeed; and a willingness to be coached. With that, the sky is the limit for him. He signs 3 yr/$20M deal that gives him chance to sign one more huge deal when he's at the top of his game.
Wells - Our OL has taken its lumps in the last few years and is starting to become a strength. We need some consistency here and TT resigns Wells. 5yr/$24M so he can retire a Packer. Lots of money in the last year, so we can always bail if he starts declining.

Parting ways:
Clifton - Seriously in decline, time to take our lumps with new blood. Lumps shouldn't be to bad because Newhouse looked solid for only his 2nd year (one without a full offseason)
Bush - Need these special teamers to contribute elsewhere.
Lee - Just drop off the key, lee - no need to be coy, roy - don't make a fuss, gus
Driver - The writing must be on the wall - he volunteered to take a pay cut - sounds like a hint of desperation. It sucks to let him go because he is such a great person and can still play. But we have younger players who play better and need the snaps to improve more. Sorry Donald.
Wynn - Had moments early in the year. Maybe he comes back better ready in '12 - if he doesn't impress, he will be gone. CJ Wilson gets one more year.

Expecting bigger things from young guys:
House - I just have a feeling that the Packers are counting on House for '12. Think they kept him under wraps so he wouldn't get down after rookie mistakes. I think with a full offseason the Packers will be expecting a bigger contribution next season.
Smith - Smith surpasses Hawk on the depth chart and plays 2x as many snaps as he does. The Packers need his intensity on the field. I always thought Hawk would bring that, but it just never happened.
Neal - We shall see what a full season of OTAs can do for him and an opportunity to heal up that painful knee.
Cobb - A full season of OTAs and this guy should have the offense down.

Restructure -
Woodson. I doubt that TT is going to pay an aging CB over $11M. Woodson takes a 40% cut and continues to be the Capers Wild Card our own CB/S hybrid.

TRADE: Packers tag and trade Matt Flynn to the Browns for a 2nd (#37). I think this is a little less than he is worth, I'm playing it a bit conservative. To the folks who are sure that TT will let Flynn just walk - I just can't see it. Draft picks are just too important to him and the whole '$14M risk' theory is just plain wrong - there is no risk.

DRAFT

1st Round #28 Nick Perry OLB USC - Like the skills he brings to the table. I don't know that he will light the world on fire at the combine and that may drop his stock a bit. I think there is a decent chance he is available and will be an excellent compliment to Matthews.

2nd Round #37 Brandon Thompson DE Clemson 6'2" 308. I would rather have a taller guy here - but Thompson is a very powerful disruptive force. He can collapse the pocket and was a force on the Clemson defense. He can rush the passer, but I don't think that is what we need. His disruption should help Clay and Nick to get those.

2nd Round #60 Kendall Reyes DE Conneticut 6'4" 295. I think TT is partial to the guys who perform very well at the senior bowl. Reyes helped himself with an outstanding showing. I will be a bit surprised that he is still here at this point - not as shocked as Cobb being available last year.

#3rd Round, #92: The Reggie Pick. Donnie Fletcher, CB Boston College 6'0" 200lbs - Smart player with good athleticism. Does not have the top end speed though. Plays very smart in the zone but hasn't been challenged with man coverage. Has the skills and physicallity to do it. Can play safety also.

4th #1 Tony Bergstrom G/T Utah:
Big guy that has some versatility to him. More of a RT than a LT, but he provides depth across the line.

4th #2 Brandon Taylor S LSU 5'11" 201
Good size, ball skills, and good tackler. Adding defensive players who are noted as 'good tacklers' should be stressed.

4th #3 Tyler Nielson ILB Iowa 6'3 235 :
Will be great on ST while he develops as ILB.

5th Lennon Creer RB Louisiana Tech 6' 215 - Boom/bust. Was injured last season, would have went much higher otherwise. Sounds like Starks - good gamble for the 5th round.

6th Jacory Harris QB Should push Rodgers for playing time in his 2nd year. (Playing canasta in the locker room after practice that is)
7th a Addrian Hamilton OLB Prarie View A&M 22 sacks as a senior. Draft him. Put him on the practice squad. See what he has in 2013.
7th b Caleb McSurdy ILB Montana Another practice squad player.
7th c Brandon Bostik WR Newberry. Intriguing size speed ratio - 6'4" 230lb 4.5 40

The last 4 are practice squad material. Players from small programs who have the physical tools and lots of success but did not have the coaching or the competition to fairly judge their capability. If they have the heart and desire, I would give them the chance to work on the practice squad for a year to really figure out if they belong in the NFL.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks great.
I would schit bricks if we come away with those first 3 guys.
If we come away with 2 of them, I will be happy.
I really want CB Chase Minnifield, and DE Derrick Wolfe instead of either of those other DEs would be just fine with me, think Wolfe could be had a bit later.

This draft here though is an A in my book and I like it better than what I expect I will like the real one from Teddy.

I want Hughes and Carriker added before the draft though :)

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks great.
I would schit bricks if we come away with those first 3 guys.
If we come away with 2 of them, I will be happy.
I really want CB Chase Minnifield, and DE Derrick Wolfe instead of either of those other DEs would be just fine with me, think Wolfe could be had a bit later.

This draft here though is an A in my book and I like it better than what I expect I will like the real one from Teddy.

I want Hughes and Carriker added before the draft though :)
So you are saying you want TT fired and me placed in charge? You are a wise man.

I believe we have talent already at CB although it underperformed all season. If those same palyers return to 2010 form, we are good at cb.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I don't like the idea of parting ways with Jarrett Bush just yet. The several times he was asked to come into the game and play for Woodson or whoever he did a pretty good job and unlike the rest of our corners he's not afraid to lay the lumber on opposing receivers and is starting to show good instincts and his coverage skill have improved a lot since last year. I'd like to keep him around.

As for the mock draft. IDK. I haven't really bothered to look at much past the 3rd round. And there are so many great players at the positions we need there aren't very many bad choices we can make.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That certainly would be a good scenario all across the board, but tell me, why draft 2 DE's in the second round?
I think that is our weakest position. I think Pickett is closer to being done than most think. Green probably doesn't come back. Then I can't rely on Neal due to frequent injuries. I'm hopeful Neal comes back, but I can't count on it. To me, more important than OLBs is the DEs on the line in the 3-4 - it all starts up front. If those guys can take up blockers, the OLBs have it much easier. If Brockers, Still, Cox, and maybe Poe is available at our first pick, that would have been the selection. I also had Mike Martin DT in the 4th, but went a different direction because that would be getting silly.

Also, I used Drafttec to determine who was available, and I think I took BPA on both of those picks. I would expect Reyes to be gone early in the 2nd, at the end of the 2nd, he represents a steal.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like 4 of our first 5 picks to be DEs and OLBs. You never know who's gonna pan out.
Remember the 2008 Draft when Teddy shocked everyone taking QB Brian Brohm in round 2????

Then he used another later on QB Matt Flynn?

Sometimes the first one taken doesn't pan out.
So I would like to see LOTS of DEs and OLBs drafted.
We have CRAP THERE currently!

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like 4 of our first 5 picks to be DEs and OLBs. You never know who's gonna pan out.
Remember the 2008 Draft when Teddy shocked everyone taking QB Brian Brohm in round 2????

Then he used another later on QB Matt Flynn?

Sometimes the first one taken doesn't pan out.
So I would like to see LOTS of DEs and OLBs drafted.
We have CRAP THERE currently!
True.

I'm not entirely ready to say Wynn and Wilson are not going to make it. I think there is still a chance that they come back, work hard this offseason, and make an impact in 2012. Maybe 'Impact' is too strong. I would be happy with 'solid contributer'.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts