Am I missing something, or MM is a Genius

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am just confused and have a very ill feeling going into this 49ers game. I need some help to understand why we are doing some of the things we are doing and how that puts the Pack in the best position to win

Heres how my brain thinks. We have a defense that BF, Carson Palmer, and a rookie QB had very good days all resulting in loses and have a 4-4 record with 38 points scored against us the most recent game.

Due to injuries (not a coaching decision) we are forced to play the same 4 LBs with minimal substitutions all game. We pitched a shut out (almost) to a red hot 4 game winning streak (6-2 team) Dallas Cowboys with a good QB in Romo, one of the best tight ends in the league with Witten, not to mention their receivers and running game.

As a coach your first announcement on Monday is that you are replacing one of your starting LBs with Kampman and another LB with a cast will be getting a lot of reps this week in a rotation with another. These decisions are being made on MONDAY, one day after the game. Yet this coach will spend a week and wait to the last minute to figure out who is playing where with the O-line.

Why would you go back to what you where doing against the vikings and Tampa, Yet fresh in your mind, one day later, that shut out of the Dallas Cowboys, you start to change things on the most productive part of the team. Yet he will take his time with the O-line this week.:stinker:

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kampman and Chillar were the clear starters. There is no defined starter at RT. That's why. And he mantained the same OL that gave 0 sacks to the Browns against MN, and that didn't go very well. But I agree with you, I would mantain the same units.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Yeah, those LB seemed to handle Dallas running game ok, and they brought some pressure. They got Romo rattled and that helped. I would keep those 4 in there.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kampman and Chillar were the clear starters. There is no defined starter at RT. That's why. And he maintained the same OL that gave 0 sacks to the Browns against MN, and that didn't go very well. But I agree with you, I would maintain the same units.

I probably should not have brought up the O-line, as there are no answers right now, MM can make changes and substitutions all day and get the same results. The O-line was a bad example and should be thrown out.

I just feel different on defense, just watching Clay Mathews play, he is out playing Kampman as a rookie, and both of them started to learn this defense at the same time. If anything Kampman had an advantage having played in the NFL for a number of years now.

Now we had an opportunity to see another LB with a different body type and skill set play in place of Kampman, closer to that of Mathews and look at the results of the LB play.

Now I have been critical of Hawk, but I would be tempted, after my performance against Dallas to show my *** a little if they take reps away from me with a one hand man. He is wearing a cast for pets sakes.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to keep in mind certain NFL teams match-up better with others. Romo is generally not effective against a 3-4 because he has trouble reading blitzes and flounders under pressure. As a result, I wouldn't use the Dallas game as a game to point to that Green Bay has suddenly found the Lord, if you will, on defense.

San Fran is #22 in rushing and #23 in passing - not exactly an offensive juggernaut. Based on those rankings, I'd expect the Packers defense to look good again on Sunday. If San Fran moves the ball, TT best contact a realtor.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to keep in mind certain NFL teams match-up better with others. Romo is generally not effective against a 3-4 because he has trouble reading blitzes and flounders under pressure. As a result, I wouldn't use the Dallas game as a game to point to that Green Bay has suddenly found the Lord, if you will, on defense.

San Fran is #22 in rushing and #23 in passing - not exactly an offensive juggernaut. Based on those rankings, I'd expect the Packers defense to look good again on Sunday. If San Fran moves the ball, TT best contact a realtor.

I don't think anybody is, I am not confident we are going to the promise land, we may not even be eligible. You have to admit as a team improvement was made from the Tampa game to Dallas.

I disagree with you about schemes, all defenses try to bring pressure, just in different ways. With the exception the way we played defense last year.

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anybody is, I am not confident we are going to the promise land, we may not even be eligible. You have to admit as a team improvement was made from the Tampa game to Dallas.

I disagree with you about schemes, all defenses try to bring pressure, just in different ways. With the exception the way we played defense last year.

Improvement is only made if its consistent. If the d plays that well for the rest of the season than I think you can say they made an improvement. Yes they did play well, but I see this game as one that gb wanted more and played like a team with their back to the wall. I have never seen a team turn it on in a one week span. I have to think this win was fools gold more than a step forward.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Let's see...Is it more reasonable to believe Green Bay suddenly "found Jesus" in one week, or is it more probable that Romo's inability to diagnose the blitz (specifically Woodson's blitz that Romo didn't have a clue about and he should have seen the Safeties beginning to cheat over to cover for Chucky.) played right into Green Bay's defensive scheme???

I've seen enough inconsistent and poor defensive play from various Green Bay defenses the past 35 years to pick up on trends and habits. And, what I see from the Green Bay defense is a defense that can have its way against certain offenses yet look lost and nearly collegiate against others.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's see...Is it more reasonable to believe Green Bay suddenly "found Jesus" in one week, or is it more probable that Romo's inability to diagnose the blitz (specifically Woodson's blitz that Romo didn't have a clue about and he should have seen the Safeties beginning to cheat over to cover for Chucky.) played right into Green Bay's defensive scheme???

I've seen enough inconsistent and poor defensive play from various Green Bay defenses the past 35 years to pick up on trends and habits. And, what I see from the Green Bay defense is a defense that can have its way against certain offenses yet look lost and nearly collegiate against others.

I am debating about our LB positions, and how that can help or hurt the Pack at this time. Wether a few personnel moves solves all the problems of the packers and brings us to the promise land is not my point.

My reason on Kampman is not based solely on the Dallas game. Its the only game in which we have seen Brad Jones play, but Jones did beat out Thompson who was getting good reviews early.

Based on a half season of play, Kampman is not the answer IMO. Combined with the fact IMO he will not be here next year, why are we playing him? I truly believe even if the Pack offers him a contract he will turn it down to play DE with someone else.

So we have a player playing out of position who would rather play DE somewhere else. How does that move this defense forward.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LeRoy Butler analyzes the Cowboys Game, JSOnline

Q. Coach Mike McCarthy praised the job rookie Brad Jones did at left outside linebacker in place of injured Aaron Kampman. It’s expected Kampman will be back this week. What do they do with Kampman? They need to have him on the field, but Jones seems to be a more natural linebacker.

Butler replys,

A. They could do what they did with Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila when they brought him in in passing situations. It would be a way to work him back in there because he had a concussion. But Brad Jones gives you a traditional 3-4 look, not a hybrid. He knows the position, he played it at Colorado. He’s very active. You have two active guys coming off the corner with him and Clay Matthews. They give you a lot of energy. But make no mistake about it, Aaron Kampman is still one of the best pass rushers the last three or four years. You have to find a way to get him to the passer, even if you just bring him in slowly at first on passing downs. Are you asking should you start Jones? Of course, you can. Of course, you would. You can start him for the rest of the year if you think he’s the future. That brings me to my next point: Kampman should have been traded at the trading deadline. Now they’ll have to put the franchise tag on him and try to trade him, try to get something for him. To let him go in free agency with nothing in return is not doing due diligence for getting value out of your players.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am debating about our LB positions, and how that can help or hurt the Pack at this time. Wether a few personnel moves solves all the problems of the packers and brings us to the promise land is not my point.

My reason on Kampman is not based solely on the Dallas game. Its the only game in which we have seen Brad Jones play, but Jones did beat out Thompson who was getting good reviews early.

Based on a half season of play, Kampman is not the answer IMO. Combined with the fact IMO he will not be here next year, why are we playing him? I truly believe even if the Pack offers him a contract he will turn it down to play DE with someone else.

So we have a player playing out of position who would rather play DE somewhere else. How does that move this defense forward.

Oh, I agree completely with you on Kampman. The irksome issue for me is that we all knew Kampman would struggle, but nobody wanted to admit it for fear of retribution from the PC police (sub Politically Correct or Packers' Crazies at your leisure.). Instead of moving Kampman last off season and gotten something for him, he'll now be considerably less worthy on the market. Heck, we may end up having to cut him.

Just head-scratching decisions one after the other.:shock:

Ted's Zombie Army

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That really is true and it points to a discipline issue. I don't think this is a team that can get up for games consistently. Against Tampa Bay, they were lethargic. Against Dallas, they were sky high. Against SF, I doubt that they will duplicate the emotion they played with against the Cowboys. So as ugly as that offense was in the win against Dallas, I can see it getting uglier again, like in Tampa Bay ugly. Then MM is all back to not looking so smart.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That really is true and it points to a discipline issue. I don't think this is a team that can get up for games consistently. Against Tampa Bay, they were lethargic. Against Dallas, they were sky high. Against SF, I doubt that they will duplicate the emotion they played with against the Cowboys. So as ugly as that offense was in the win against Dallas, I can see it getting uglier again, like in Tampa Bay ugly. Then MM is all back to not looking so smart.

Agreed. San Fran isn't pretty, but I watched them Stymie Favre and the Vikings, which is a pretty difficult thing to do. I still feel Green Bay has more receiving weapons than Minny, so they may play San Fran a lot better than Minny did.

I mean Sydney Rice and Berrian versus Jennings and Driver? Not terribly close. Then throw in Harvin (inexperienced rookie) versus Nelson and then Greg Lewis versus James Jones???

San Fran is 25th in the league in sacks with a whopping 17. This should be a decided advantage to Green Bay's offense.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. San Fran isn't pretty, but I watched them Stymie Favre and the Vikings, which is a pretty difficult thing to do. I still feel Green Bay has more receiving weapons than Minny, so they may play San Fran a lot better than Minny did.

I mean Sydney Rice and Berrian versus Jennings and Driver? Not terribly close. Then throw in Harvin (inexperienced rookie) versus Nelson and then Greg Lewis versus James Jones???

San Fran is 25th in the league in sacks with a whopping 17. This should be a decided advantage to Green Bay's offense.
I think the most relevant aspect is really how their offence fits our D. They basically are one-dimentional. They have only the running game. And it so happens that we're a terrific team at stopping the run. 4th in yardage and 2nd in points.

But I'm probably wrong. Just because I've said it, they'll probably just air it out...

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think they are closer than what you believe. Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor are better in the flats than Ryan Grant and Ahman Green (still giddy he is back on the team.) Jermichael Finley may be a better athletic tight end than Shiancoe but it's close.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they are closer than what you believe. Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor are better in the flats than Ryan Grant and Ahman Green (still giddy he is back on the team.) Jermichael Finley may be a better athletic tight end than Shiancoe but it's close.

I don't believe so. Berrian was never really a certifiable WR1, and he's still hampered by hamstring issues. He's kind-of slightly-built and gets dinged often. Rice is coming into his own, but he doesn't have Jennings speed or Driver's experience, but he is tall.

I think what you see in Minnesota is a QB that understands how to play the game and gets the ball to the right guys at the right time. I guess Chilly was right - Favre (or any competent, consistent NFL QB) really was the missing piece for that team.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts