Already a playermaker on roster that just needs to develop?

Reaction score
I seem to recall TT saying during this offseason that playmakers are a tricky thing, and one reason being that there may already be a playmaker on the roster that just hasn't developed. Unfortunately, I can't find the exact quote anywhere, but still it is an interesting question.

Who do you think are the players already on the roster that have playmaking potential, but haven't developed?

I can think of a couple:

TE Zac Alcorn - 6'4" and 255 LBS, Packers.com bio states he has 4.6 40 yard speed and a 34 inch vertical. Said to have earned a roster spot with his "outstanding athleticism at the TE position.

His college stats: 85 receptions for 1,220 yards (14.4 avg.) and 12 TDs. He played MLB, DE, and TE at college, so he is athetic. Has played mostly on special teams thus far.

RB Arliss Beach - 5'10" and 222 LBS, Bruce mentioned in his article that he had some explosiveness and the coaching staff liked him.

In college, he started only 7 games and finished his college career with 951 yards on 226 carries (4.2 avg.) and 14 touchdowns AND 25 catches for 194 yards (7.7 avg). He also never fumbled once in college.

What do you think about Beach and Alcorn? Any other ideas who else on the roster might have playmaking potential but hasn't developed yet?

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Already a playermaker on roster that just needs to devel

Jennings and Holiday come to my mind.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I Love Arliss Beach and thought he looked pretty good in preseason. Zac Alcorn looked pretty good in preseason, but I didn't see a lot of him (I saw the touchdown he had against the Falcons). Carlyle Holiday didn't look bad last season, and Ruvell Martin seemed to get into step.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neither will make the final roster :)

I'm actually serious. It's one thing to run over 3rd stringers like Beach did but when you play with the "big boys" the game is faster and just tougher. I think Holiday is more ready then either or to step it up. He and Martin saw a lot of action near the end of last year and came through for us.

Jennings is already one of our playmakers when healthy. He'll be alright.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
I agree with you about Jennings, hence why I didn't mention him.

Carlyle was one I missed, and now that you mention it Bodiford also comes to mind (reportedly Martz saw Issac Bruce in him). Bodiford also has decent speed.

With Martin, I just don't think he has the speed to develop into anything more than a good #4 WR.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I recall I was impressed w/Beach before the injury; but if he was going againest weak D players it would have little significance. Bodiford is interesting to me. I like Holliday's intelligence...he appears to be a fast learner. IMO, the most positive impacts could be by Underwood and Blackmon, i.e. IF they show up. We need a solid FS and nickle back. Denby and Manuel are not the answers, again MO. This team is SO young and inexperienced, anything can happen, from disaster to exciting. Starting Jenkins at DE from the get-go will make a huge difference. On a personal note, I'd like to see Kris Jenkins added to the DL since he looks to be released. Can you even imagine brothers playing hard enough to up-stage the one another? Makes me salivate. I look for Jennings to refuse to give up his #2 spot to anyone. Then if Moll, Spitz, and Colledge are, as promised, in GB working with the weights this off-season...our OL could become one of the best, which definitely gets us into the playoffs. Lots to get excited about.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i like carlyle holiday on the roster...came up thru college as a QB, silly as it sounds, he can come up with that one gimmick play that completely turns one game around...and develop into maybe a 4th reciever in the process

you have guys like Hines Ward, LaDanian Tomlinson, Kordell Stewart who play their position but sometimes have thrown teams off with one gimmick play which completely changes a way a defense schemes against your offense
Disclaimer: in NO way am i putting Holiday in this class

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

all about da packers said:
I seem to recall TT saying during this offseason that playmakers are a tricky thing, and one reason being that there may already be a playmaker on the roster that just hasn't developed. Unfortunately, I can't find the exact quote anywhere, but still it is an interesting question.

Who do you think are the players already on the roster that have playmaking potential, but haven't developed?

I can think of a couple:

TE Zac Alcorn - 6'4" and 255 LBS, Packers.com bio states he has 4.6 40 yard speed and a 34 inch vertical. Said to have earned a roster spot with his "outstanding athleticism at the TE position.

His college stats: 85 receptions for 1,220 yards (14.4 avg.) and 12 TDs. He played MLB, DE, and TE at college, so he is athetic. Has played mostly on special teams thus far.

RB Arliss Beach - 5'10" and 222 LBS, Bruce mentioned in his article that he had some explosiveness and the coaching staff liked him.

In college, he started only 7 games and finished his college career with 951 yards on 226 carries (4.2 avg.) and 14 touchdowns AND 25 catches for 194 yards (7.7 avg). He also never fumbled once in college.

What do you think about Beach and Alcorn? Any other ideas who else on the roster might have playmaking potential but hasn't developed yet?

Maybe I have a different definition of Playmaker than others. By my definition, we only have one - Driver. A playmaker is someone who can take a short gain and turn it into a TD. A playmaker is someone who can single-handedly change a game. A playmaker is someone who is dangerous at all times, and opposing teams have to focus on stopping them or else.

Green used to be a playmaker, but I've only seen him bust one last year. He's my fav RB, I just think he's no longer a playmaker.

I thought Jennings was, then he got injured and was never the same.

I was impressed by Beech, but he got hurt. Will he develop into a playmaker? I don't know. I don't think so in '07.

We desperately need at least one more playmaker on the team. I hope you're right about Alcorn. Our TE position sucks big time.

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

RICKY WILLIAMS is whod I go after through trades...Before he left he was arguably the best back in the league!!!

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From Bowling Green State University, picked up off The Bears practice squad last year, RB PJ Pope. Watch for this guy to make a splash in pre-season. He could be a real sleeper.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Arliss Beach and Shaun Bodiford were the first two names that came to mind. I truly expect big things from both this year. Underwood, too, on the other side of the ball.

Members online