all time lineup

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whats your packers all time lineup?

Its the offseason... and I miss football so I hope you guys understand the pointless threads lol

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's give it a go:

QB - Bart Starr
FB - Jim Taylor
RB - Paul Hornung
WR - Sterling Sharpe
WR - Don Hutson
WR - Donald Driver
TE - Mark Chmura
LT - Forrest Gregg
LG - Fuzzy Thurston
C - Jim Ringo
RG - Jerry Kramer
RT - Carl Hubbard

DE - Willie Davis
DT - Henry Jordan
DT - Gilbert Brown
DE - Reggie White
OLB - Clay Matthews
ILB - Ray Nitschke
OLB - Dave Robinson
CB - Herb Adderley
CB - Charles Woodson
SS - LeRoy Butler
FS - Willie Wood

Coach: Vince Lombardi
OC: Mike Holmgren
DC: Dom Capers

BTW, not sure if there isn't a thread about it already in here, Ivo...

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Let's give it a go:

QB - Bart Starr
FB - Jim Taylor
RB - Paul Hornung
WR - Sterling Sharpe
WR - Don Hutson
WR - Donald Driver
TE - Mark Chmura
LT - Forrest Gregg
LG - Fuzzy Thurston
C - Jim Ringo
RG - Jerry Kramer
RT - Bob Skoronski

DE - Willie Wood
DT - Henry Jordan
DT - Gilbert Brown
DE - Reggie White
OLB - Clay Matthews
ILB - Ray Nitschke
OLB - Dave Robinson
CB - Herb Adderley
CB - Charles Woodson
SS - LeRoy Butler
FS - Willie Wood

Coach: Vince Lombardi
OC: Mike Holmgren
DC: Dom Capers

BTW, not sure if there isn't a thread about it already in here, Ivo...

Willie Wood at two positions? Heck of a player to pull that off.:icon_mrgreen:

Looks like a combination of Lombardi, McCarthy, and Holmgren Packers. I'd not mind seeing Shurmer as DC either.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Willie Wood at two positions? Heck of a player to pull that off.:icon_mrgreen:

Looks like a combination of Lombardi, McCarthy, and Holmgren Packers. I'd not mind seeing Shurmer as DC either.
It's them meds.
Them good, but them make the brain numb. I meant Willie Davis, of course.

It's mainly Lombardi, with the dynasty and the 10 players on HoF and all that... Though of putting Wayne Simmons in there as another ILB in case of a 3-4, but have no idea how he would fare at that, and Robinson and Matthews are better players...
Really hope I can put some current guys in there in the next 3 years or so.

BTW, changed the OL. I broke up the famous Lombardi OL, but had to pay hommage to a hall of famer under Lambeau.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tried a couple different searches but couldnt find a similar thread. I thought for sure there would be. Im sure I just searched the wrong things.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i would put ryan longwell as our kicker. why not bubba franks at TE?
I don't know about ST players of the past enough.

Chris Jacke at K?
McGee at P?
Howard at KR/PR for sure.

And, at least to me, Chmura was the best TE we've ever had. Finley will be better, but he needs to perform. So far, one rookie season, and 2 seasons cut short by injury.

BTW, it's only my list. Do people really agree with me that much? I don't see any other list in there...

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's an all time line up so I didn't really think it mattered how long they play of us as long ad you judge them based on what they did with the packers and not with another team.

I would keep ray instead of Ted personally.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
BTW, it's only my list. Do people really agree with me that much?

I really like your list - at least the revised one (after reading thread). I think Hentrich would be my punter and Stenerud the K. I love the way Driver plays but he wouldn't make my all time list. Lofton would be ahead of him and Jennings at some point will be too IMO. I'd also say no to Finley - not yet anyway. He's got to put several good/great seasons together first.

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please do not lynch me for this, but seriously, no Favre? I love Bart Starr and Aaron Rodgers like everyone else here, but lets be real, while in a Packers uniform, to us Packers fans, he practically walked on water. I was five years old in 1992 when he started in Green Bay and there was no other player that I cared about more than Favre. I hate the garbage he has done with his post-Packers career, but he is THE BEST quarterback in Packers history. For that, he deserves to be on that list.

Let the bashing begin. :blackeye:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Please do not lynch me for this, but seriously, no Favre? I love Bart Starr and Aaron Rodgers like everyone else here, but lets be real, while in a Packers uniform, to us Packers fans, he practically walked on water.

Please don't include this Packers fan in this. In fact, I'll bet quite a few Packers fans would prefer you speak for yourself in this regard. I NEVER thought he "practically walked on water". Perhaps you had that perspective because you were so young during his Packers career.

Favre was more exciting that Starr but he was not a better QB. Look at their respective performance in big games: Favre was much, much more likely to throw a critical INT than Starr. Starr was not as physically gifted and he certainly had better talent surrounding him but he never threw an interception like Favre did in the playoff game in Philadelphia, for example.

This column written in March, 2008 sums it up pretty well. Here are a couple of quotes:

"After beating the San Francisco 49ers in the 1997 NFC Championship Game, Favre won just three of his last 10 playoff games."
- - -

"Favre's passer rating in his last 12 postseason games was a pedestrian 77.8. In his last five wild-card games, he went 2-3 with more interceptions (nine) than touchdown passes (seven). In his last three divisional playoff games, he went 1-2 with seven TDs and seven interceptions. That's a 3-5 record with 14 touchdown passes and 16 picks.

In two of his last four postseason appearances, Favre threw two of the most unthinkable playoff interceptions in NFL history, both in overtime … In fact, Favre is the only quarterback in NFL history to throw overtime interceptions in two playoff games. In his last nine playoff games, Favre threw 18 interceptions."
- - -

"Favre isn't even the greatest quarterback in the history of the Packers. It's not even close. Bart Starr won five NFL championships -- four more than Favre -- and retired as the NFL's most accurate passer.

Oh, you say Starr was surrounded by a Hall of Fame roster with a legendary coach. But Starr still is the NFL record holder with a 104.8 career playoff passer rating, nearly 20 points higher than Favre's. That wasn't Vince Lombardi or Ray Nitschke throwing those passes for Starr, whose career postseason passer rating, by the way, is 38 points higher than Johnny Unitas'.

Favre's career playoff record was 12-10. Starr's was 9-1 -- without the benefit of wild-card games. Favre threw 28 interceptions in 22 playoff games. Starr threw three in 10. Think about that -- just three picks in 213 postseason attempts."
(end of quotes)

BTW, Rodgers has enough playoff passes to qualify him for career playoff records. Starr no longer holds the record for career playoff passer rating, Rodgers does!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please do not lynch me for this, but seriously, no Favre? I love Bart Starr and Aaron Rodgers like everyone else here, but lets be real, while in a Packers uniform, to us Packers fans, he practically walked on water. I was five years old in 1992 when he started in Green Bay and there was no other player that I cared about more than Favre. I hate the garbage he has done with his post-Packers career, but he is THE BEST quarterback in Packers history. For that, he deserves to be on that list.

Let the bashing begin. :blackeye:
No he isn't, not by a long shot. The bolded part is why you think he is, but he isn't.

Right now, without names, who do you take?
The guy who had an amazing stretch of years and regular season wins, to go along with many passing yards and touchdowns and incredible performances, with 3 regular season MVPs but that consistantly choked in the playoffs, having won only 1 title?

Or the guy who was steady in the regular season, who also endured many years with the club, but is the winningest QB of all time with 7 championships, and the best postseason QB of all time, always coming up big when mattered, and has 1 regular season MVP and 2 SuperBowl MVPs. And that called ALL offensive plays?

If you are like me and any rational fan, you take the later.

BTW, the best postseason QB of all time is Rodgers with 112.6, but Starr is second with 104.8, and is 9-1 in postseason games. Favre is 11th with 86.3.
NFL career passer rating leaders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here are some articles to enlighten you:
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.co...definitive_list:_Top_10_NFL_quarterbacks.html
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_640_The_Lord_of_Postseason_Stats.html

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
brett2520, no bashing, but I still go with Starr. Perhaps it is a little nostalgia since I grew up with Starr, but I still believe he is the best field general the game has known. When Favre is on, he is on, no doubt, but Starr was consistently outstanding and I would go with that consistency. JMO.

Members online

Latest posts