All Time Favorite Packer Players?

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Bart Starr
Brett Favre
Aaron Rodgers
Jim Taylor (time to get off the quarterback parade I guess)
Max Magee

Stevie DK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nop, but the ones that stands out, don't wanna mention 20 players.

I don't wanna pick to many players on the current roster, because it says "All time Favorite"

D

Dan115

Nop, but the ones that stands out, don't wanna mention 20 players.

I don't wanna pick to many players on the current roster, because it says "All time Favorite"

Did you read the first post? Who and why are your top five all time Packers players?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starr for his leadership and calmness
Nitschke for his tenacity and ferocity
Butler for his great personality
Favre for his love of the game (pre-2008)
Jurkovic for his lunch pale attitude (nobody said that the top 5 needed to be great players)

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Even as a kid, I was never much of a fan of individual players, there are a few that I've met personally and had a chance to sit down and actually shoot the **** with...shoot some pool, buy drinks back and forth. The guys were willing to sit around and shake dice and stuff PROVIDED that there was limited talk about the Packers. You'd understand why if you attended games in the 70's and 80's. Anyway, my favorite "good guys" or "gentlemen":

Lofton
Mike McCoy (the Notre Dame DT, not the scrawny DB)
Paul Coffman
Ron Hallstrom
Johnnie Gray

packa7x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since I am a relatively young fan, I'll leave out the GOATs who normally would make the list, but don't because I never saw them play personally.

1. Aaron Rodgers-I have so many reasons to love this guy. I'm a stats guy and I LOVE how this guy puts up numbers like crazy. I went to the NFL Draft in 2005 for the first time and saw him get drafted. He started in 2008, the year I decided after getting laid off from my bartending job to get myself together and go to college, so he marked a new era for the Pack as I marked a new era in my life. He has done so much in such a short span of time and he won a SB while I was an adult which is so much more exciting than when you're a kid.

2. Brett Favre-As much as he's hurt us Packer fans, I can't downgrade him too much. He provided me with the spark to enjoy football and helped me turn it from a hobby to a passion. 3 MVPs and a Lombardi Trophy ending an extremely long drought.

3. Chad Clifton-No, this isn't me getting all sad because Cliffy is gone. I've loved Cliffy since he became a Packer. I worse 76 all 4 years in HS because of him. I'm a lineman and I have a soft spot in my heart for linemen.

4. Antonio Freeman-Dude was MONEY. Loved seeing him and Favre hook up. One of my least favorite off seasons was when we lost Freeman, Schroeder, and Bradford between 2001 and 2002, but on the bright side, we got Driver for a decade and a couple good seasons out of Walker and Ferguson.

5. Clay Matthews-His intensity and motor are amazing and it's an honor to have him play for the Pack. I love his game.

Stevie DK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you read the first post? Who and why are your top five all time Packers players?
Overlooked the "top 5", but if adding 2 more players makes you happy, i'm fine with that.
4. Al Harris
5. Ahman Green

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green doesn't get a lot of love for some reason, but is the all-time leader in yards (I believe), had a great attitude, and WAS the Green Bay offense during the Sherman era when teams dared Favre to beat them...which was typically a good bet for the opposing teams. Bat Man

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since I am a relatively young fan, I'll leave out the GOATs who normally would make the list, but don't because I never saw them play personally.

I don't think seeing them play is a qualifier for favorites. I never saw Hutson play, but I appreciate the stats he put up and his contributions to the NFL. He is still a source of Packer Pride in my eyes because of this.

I don't even remember the Lombardi years. One of my early memories was when he died, and Bart Starr retiring, though. But during the 70s we lived through the nostalgia years. Before any Packer game was televised - through the 80's even - the lead-in to the game was always:

"The Packers established tiny Green Bay Wisconsin as 'Title Town' during the 60's. (view bunch of lombardi era clips) Now, (Bart Starr, Dan Devine, Forrest Gregg, etc) has them back on track to regain the crown of the NFL - named after their legendary coach . . " Or something extremely similar.

I'm sure there is a good chance that Clay and Rodgers end up on this list when all is said and done. They are both great on and off the field. A few years back I would have had Brett on this list. He accomplished a lot and I don't recall anyone in all of football that was more fun to watch - at times. Other times he was excruciatingly stupid. Regardless, he joined our rivals with the expressed desire to 'stick it' to the Packers. Therefore, how can I put someone on the favorites list when he had no respect or appreciation for the franchise or us, the fans? He went from G.O.A.T. to another barn yard animal - really quickly

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

- But I digress, maybe that should be the subject of another thread as I doubt it has ever been discussed here before. ;)

PalmettoPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm 33, so I didn't really become a fan until around 86. I missed all the greats prior to my birth unfortunately. Sterling Sharpe, Reggie White, Robert Brooks, Rodgers, Driver,Ahman Green, and yes even Favre.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here you go:

Ray Nitchke
Reggie White
Brett Favre
Leroy Butler

and then....Sterling Sharpe, Donald Driver, Edgar Bennett, Paul Hornung, Bart Starr, Gilbert Brown, Don "Magic".....all get a tie-nod for the last spot.

Hype

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been a Packer fan off my life.....so i can go either way this question....

1. Brett Favre: i was there through the tough times when he was the INT king in his early years and even have a Brett Brick to prove it. But at the same time, i was the only kid in my HS wearing his jersey and took tons of abuse for doing so. I admit I own a Favre Jets jersey but i will never bring myself to own a Favre Vikings jersey

2. Charles Woodson: Not only is he is one of my favorite Packers of all time but he is one of my favorite football players of all time. I followed his career at Michigan and when he was with the Raiders so i was very happy when he came to GB. I made a bet with a friend that he would win the Heisman over Payton.

3. Reggie White: another one of my all time favorite players and an even greater human being

4. Paul Hourning: When people talk about best all-around athletes. this guy should be up.

5. Clay Matthews: a star was born when he stripd the ball away from AP on that monday nighter and ran it back for TD

Members online

Latest posts