All Capers Threads merged

12theTruth

That game was more of us getting burned by the run, this was all out burned by the pass. He may have been a difference maker more so in this game over the previous.

Yeh, I'll agree with you there. He is a big upgrade over the others we have back there. The thing is Kaepernick didn't really have to pass it when he could run at will. If anything he could have got people in the correct places, Hyde, McMillian.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Yeh, I'll agree with you there. He is a big upgrade over the others we have back there. The thing is Kaepernick didn't really have to pass it when he could run at will. If anything he could have got people in the correct places, Hyde, McMillian.

I did notice our LB's taking turns being a "spy"......just keeping a solid eye on Kap to keep him from running so much. It seemed to work, as he ran out of bounds for a loss of yards and slide down (quickly) when he saw CM3 coming in to crush his punk ***...lol. We held his running wild in check, now we just need to learn to mix in more man to man coverage.

12theTruth

Yes, the subject is very very very old.

Every team has injuries. Not every team with injuries lost on Sunday. Some teams overcame injuries to key players and still came out victorious. Injuries or not this defense led by Capers has got us throttled out of the playoffs in 3 out of the last 4 years. And what do we do in Week 1. Give up around 500 yards of total offense on defense and FAIL to make adjustments on defense to stop the bleeding.

I'm glad you think Capers is doing a good job. LOL

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

A couple of those long balls that Kap completed could have been defended against and maybe even picked off with an experienced safety back there. He certainly could have helped get everyone in position, I wager he also would have kept them calm and focused as well. Things can get chaotic when you have inexperienced players on the back end of your defense.

D

Dan115

Every team has injuries. Not every team with injuries lost on Sunday. Some teams overcame injuries to key players and still came out victorious. Injuries or not this defense led by Capers has got us throttled out of the playoffs in 3 out of the last 4 years. And what do we do in Week 1. Give up around 500 yards of total offense on defense and FAIL to make adjustments on defense to stop the bleeding.

So, You have your opinion I have mine. Just relax. The next drink is on me.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score

I agree, I think he will cause us to "bleed out" so to speak. His defensive "scheme" is SOOOO easily predictable, any team can combat what we will do, a blind man could see it coming.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not pretend that just by getting Burnett and Hayward back that all is well. Burnett started against the 49ers in the playoff devastation last January. I still don't consider giving up 400 yards to Kaepernick 'good football'.
You DO realize this was the toughest game we will play all year and they barely beat us at their place and they had help from the zebras to do it, right? If you jerk that knee any harder you're going to need surgery. Relax.

12theTruth

You DO realize this was the toughest game we will play all year and they barely beat us at their place and they had help from the zebras to do it, right? If you jerk that knee any harder you're going to need surgery. Relax.

But the real question is what is it that you're jerking? LOL

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It may be knee-jerk to say that after this game I simply do not have faith in Capers' defense, but it's a long, sustained knee-jerk. Yes, there were injuries, but would Morgan Burnett have changed the whole way the secondary played back there? I am not so sure.

It's not analytical to be sure, but this defense gets torched again and again by power offenses. One of the sole exceptions last year was Houston, but they were playing from way behind.

Reaction score
I understand Dom's plan for the game - heading into this, I think we all figured our secondary > san fran's receivers.

But their run game killed us last year, scrambling and all that - so have the front seven sort of pass rush, but play more containment - have the secondary blanket the field and hope it will all work in conjunction to put the squeeze on Kaep...make him impatient and panic - then that plan went to heck when no one decided to cover Boldin - It'd help to have Morgan & Casey - but Micah/Shields/Tramon/Jerron/MD should've stepped up and done their job.

Either way, I'm impressed the D held up when our Offense decided to keep giving the 49ers the ball in the 2nd quarter.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO it was more a matter of personnel than coaching which caused the Packers to give up about 400 yards passing and allow 10 of 19 third and fourth down conversions. From the jsonline story the secondary was the weak link:
Some of the 49ers' eight pass plays for 20 yards or more were the result of beating people. Nickel back Micah Hyde lost leverage and couldn't catch up on gains of 22 by Boldin and 37 by Davis.
How would a healthy Hayward have done? Of course there’s no way of knowing but he was a difference maker last season.
McMillian and Williams had a mixup in a classic Cover 2 sideline toss to Boldin for 22. Boldin made a fabulous catch for 22 against Sam Shields and McMillian. There was confusion between Shields and M.D. Jennings on a 30-yard pass to Boldin.
Three explosive plays where the DC had double coverage or bracketed coverage against Boldin and the players screwed up.
When the Packers took their only lead, 28-24, with 8½ minutes left, Shields and McMillian inexcusably missed the tackle on a 13-yard pass on second and 9 to Boldin that ruptured into 43 and quickly set up the go-ahead TD.
Two missed tackles on one play – Capers fault?
The 49ers drew first blood when their coaches successfully matched Davis on Jennings and the result was a 20-yard score. A few plays before that, it appeared that Brad Jones was out of position on a 25-yard strike to tight end Vance McDonald.
Now you could say the DC was at fault having Jennings cover a TE but that’s a pretty standard practice and I don’t fault Capers for having to start two backups at the safety spots. And you could say it’s the DC’s fault a fifth year vet was out of position but I put that on the player, not the coaches.

A DC can’t triple team a player and not have another receiver run free in the backfield. The best he can do is double team – or bracket a receiver and according to the jsonline article, when Capers did that, the players didn’t do their jobs.

Quotes from http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ldin-runs-roughshod-b9993280z1-222911691.html

BTW, I don’t think saying so-and-so was on the field last season in the playoff game at SF means that player wouldn’t have made a difference yesterday. There was a huge difference in the 9ers running game – holding them to 2.6 yards/carry showed obvious progress and could have affected the play of Burnett IMO, for example. The fix I would like to see at safety is trying Hyde there. Once Burnett returns that tandem, along with Hayward at nickel would give the Packers their strongest backfield IMO. Failing that, they need better talent at safety and that’s not going to happen until next off season at the earliest.

Last edited:

12theTruth

IMO it was more a matter of personnel than coaching which caused the Packers to give up about 400 yards passing and allow 10 of 19 third and fourth down conversions. From the jsonline story the secondary was the weak link: How would a healthy Hayward have done? Of course there’s no way of knowing but he was a difference maker last season. Three explosive plays where the DC had double coverage or bracketed coverage against Boldin and the players screwed up. Two missed tackles on one play – Capers fault? Now you could say the DC was at fault having Jennings cover a TE but that’s a pretty standard practice and I don’t fault Capers for having to start two backups at the safety spots. And you could say it’s the DC’s fault a fifth year vet was out of position but I put that on the player, not the coaches.

A DC can’t triple team a player and not have another receiver run free in the backfield. The best he can do is double team – or bracket a receiver and according to the jsonline article, when Capers did that, the players didn’t do their jobs.

Quotes from http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ldin-runs-roughshod-b9993280z1-222911691.html

BTW, I don’t think saying so-and-so was on the field last season in the playoff game at SF means that player wouldn’t have made a difference yesterday. There was a huge difference in the 9ers running game – holding them to 2.6 yards/carry showed obvious progress and have affected the play of Burnett IMO, for example. The fix I would like to see at safety is trying Hyde there. Once Burnett returns that tandem, along with Hayward at nickel would give the Packers their strongest backfield IMO. Failing that, they need better talent at safety and that’s not going to happen until next off season at the earliest.

We can split hairs about whether its the players fault for not making the play or whether its ultimately Capers responsibility as he runs the defense. Whether the Packers have great talent (against Cardinals in 09 playoffs)

Woodson, Collins, Williams, Cullen Jenkins, Jolly, etc. Or if we have a few less experienced safeties who, apparently weren't doing their jobs. It all boils down to one common denominator. Dom Capers.

Capers will no doubt fare better against teams with less physical lines but match him up against a GOOD, accurate, QB, then his defense turns to dust. An accurate QB who can run is even worse.

We may see a respectable defense at times this season but we have seen what will be an outlier for later contests, especially the postseason.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
We can split hairs about whether its the players fault for not making the play or whether its ultimately Capers responsibility as he runs the defense. Whether the Packers have great talent (against Cardinals in 09 playoffs)

Woodson, Collins, Williams, Cullen Jenkins, Jolly, etc. Or if we have a few less experienced safeties who, apparently weren't doing their jobs. It all boils down to one common denominator. Dom Capers.
Splitting hairs? Doesn’t Thompson and his staff bear responsibility for the talent they supply? And Capers’ 2010 D was pretty good, wasn’t it?

2012 was significantly better on D than 2011 and if this season turns out to be significantly better than last season… Is there a chance the D will get better as the season progresses? And if they play the 9ers in the playoffs, what if the Packers don’t lose the TO battle and what if someone wises Ross up so he doesn’t return KOs and the Packers at least start at their 20? What if the young OTs get better and the running game does too? It's how teams finish the season, not start it and that goes for the pass D too.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can blame and fire everyone, but the simple fact is that the 49ers are a better team right now. They've beat us three straight times and it's due to a combination of lack of talent for the Packers and lack of scheme to compensate for that. I do not at all feel that getting rid of TT or Capers will solve the problem(s) without creating new ones that are worse. There is the possibility of getting better, and to ThxJackVainisi's point, I agree.

12theTruth

You can blame and fire everyone, but the simple fact is that the 49ers are a better team right now. They've beat us three straight times and it's due to a combination of lack of talent for the Packers and lack of scheme to compensate for that. I do not at all feel that getting rid of TT or Capers will solve the problem(s) without creating new ones that are worse. There is the possibility of getting better, and to ThxJackVainisi's point, I agree.

Exaggerate much! Who said anything about firing Ted Thompson in this thread? I'd think getting a differrent coordinator that is in large part responsible for getting the Packers demolished in the playoffs 3 out of the last 4 seasons could be considered a positive especially if they choose wisely.

Besides most who condemn Capers have acknowledged that the Packers have shown improvement but will these improvements be able to hide or conceal the fact the Capers gets outmaneuvered as he does especially when it matters most.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, I don't. It's a common theme in these forums to fire everyone. Be truthful with yourself. Besides, my point is that there is blame to be spread around so are we to fire everyone that shares the blame? I think that you are educated enough to pick up on that.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Ouch, sounds like you are headed to the DL :( We didn't head up either! Candlestick is a horrible stadium, so you I saw enough of it in January. Get that knee fixed and rehabbed and we come back strong next year!!
Lets make plans to go to the opener on Thursday night a Lambeau next year as the defending champs.:D

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This topic is reactionary and succumbs to the "lynch mob" mentality that prefers a quick execution to thoughtful analysis: "The defense got torched so the coordinator should be fired." It also ignores the shortcomings of our offense that contributed significantly to the loss.

Besides the two turnovers, San Francisco dominated time of possession almost two to one. While our passing game is explosive, it doesn't do any favors for the defense when drives stall- and they stall regularly without a reliable run game. Some interesting observations from Rob Demovsky on the game here:

Feast or famine: An examination of the Packers' possession and drive chart showed it was either feast or famine for Rodgers & Co. On nearly half of their possessions, they failed to gain a first down. They had 13 total possessions in the game. On six of them, they failed to move the chains. Five of those drives ended with punts while the other was Lacy's fumble. Their inability to sustain drives was evident in the time-of-possession battle, which they lost. The 49ers had the ball for 38 minutes and 35 seconds, while the Packers had it for just 21:25. An improved running game would have helped.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed jaybadger82. My only comment about time of possession is that it's can be a misleading stat. While it appears to be a 2:1 ratio, a common inference would be that our defense was tired. Our drives were short but we also only attempted 19 rushes compared to their 34. While the clock doesn't run on a passing play, time is still ticking by so the defense still gets to rest. For example, if you assume 10 seconds for a typical pass or run play you could have only 1 minute of possession if all three are pass plays but up to 3 minutes if all three a runs. The defense is still resting for the same amount of time in either scenario.

Now total plays would be a good measure. In last night's game it was 58 for GB and 75 for the 49ers, which means that our defense was out on the field a lot more than theirs!

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can draw an analogy between Capers defensive planning and that used by the French to stem the Germans. The French always built a defense to defend against the last war i.e. the Maginot Line erected between WWI and WWII. The Germans simply went around it when they invaded France in 1940.

Yesterday, Capers plan was to stop the Read Option and running game no matter what. He was not going to let that offense bloody him again. So SF outsmarted him and threw up 400 yards through the air. Lesson, you need to address the current rather than the past and adjust. You lose when you don't.

Members online

Latest posts