alharris31's 2006 Mock Offseason and Draft

alharris31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Off season:

Guards: The guard position needs to be adressed. The mocks that i have seen have steve neal and steve hutchinson as the only viable options, but i believe that terrence metcalf(bears) and vince manuwai(jags) would be just as good and cost friendly for a non skill position.

Corners: Al harris had arguably his best season yet. He didnt have the interceptions because there was not a constant pass rush, but shut down alot of #1 wide outs. I dont think carrol is a bust, but he needs to be a nickel back for at least one season, this leads me to believe the pack should sign a vet. #2 corner i.e. Juran Bolden (Buccaneers), Jerry Azumah (Bears), or Ricky Manning (Panthers).

Safety: Nick Collins is an all-pro in the making and just needs the practice and playing time to become a monster. At the other safety spot there is Mark Roman. Although roman improved greatly upon the 2004 season he still blew some coverages and missed a few tackles in 2005 and is obviously not the safety of the future. The draft is the best place to look for romans safety spot along with a short term upgrade in free agency. The guys i like are: Adam Archuleta (Rams), Will Demps (Ravens), and Chris Hope (Steelers)..any of those guys could be a starter for the next 3-5 years when the drafted safety is developing.

Linebackers: This is our most obvious defensive need. Barnett is proggressing every year and will be an eventual pro-bowler. Diggs i believe is on his way out..his salary is inflated and he couldnt stay healthy the last two years..i dont think he will be traded but i would guess (unless he is due a roster bonus) he would be cut at the june 1st deadline.
Paris lenon showed some flashes of brilliance in coverage, but projects to be a career backup...Manning is still a project but looks like he could start years down the road. Poppinga was looking to be a very good prospect until his torn ligament..so who knows when he will be ready to play. Luckily for the packers F.A. has many good linebackers. The ones i could see being the most valuable would be: Akin Ayodele (Jaguars)(i'm not sure if he is restricted, but he looks like hes going to be a perennial pro-bowler), Cato June (Colts)(had great 05 season and will no doubt be looking for a big payday and since he is an RFA the colts probably wont be able to match what he will command), Julian Peterson (49ers)(outstanding player, but not sure if TT will pay even though we have the cap space),Tommy Polley (Ravens)(played well in ravens 3-4),Will Witherspoon (Panthers).

Defensive Tackles: Grady played well for the most part this year. He is getting older and more injury prone than ever and will be looking for pat williams money so not sure if he will be back...from what ive read the bills are interested in him. I don't think Cole, Jenkins and WIlliams will be able to get it done so a viable option is Larry Tripplett (Colts)(played well this year and is a major run stuffer).

Defensive End: The biggest story is that Kampman is up for F.A.. I think it was a mistake that TT didnt sign him to a cap friendly longer term deal last year instead of just matching his RFA offer sheet, the packers have the money to pay him, but so do alot of other teams ..so im not sure if he will be resigned. KGB had an off year, yes he did become a more complete end but didnt put up the glorious sack numbers we've become accustomed to. I dont think he will be traded because of his salary but i could see him in a reduced role. It has been rumored that Sanders is high on Mike Montegomery, who played well toward the end of the season. Is it just me or did i hear the same thing about Cullen Jenkins last year that bates loved him and then gave cole the nod to start?...There are many good ends in F.A. this year so it is a possibility that the pack could make a run at one of them. Kimo von Oelhoffen (Steelers)(solid end on a good steelers d-line..could be a bargain), Anthony Weaver (Ravens)(could be a star in years to come..but might be expecting big money although he hasnt really proven himself), Robert Mathis (Colts)(i really like this guy...had more sacks than Freeney on the colts d-line this year...could be looking for a large contract though), Darren Howard (Saints)(up and coming star who will command a huge contract), John Abraham (Jets)(i also like abraham even though he has some character issues and will be looking for a big deal which both will drive TT away), Kyle VandenBosch (Titans)(this guy is a complete D-end and is another Kampman type workhorse who will be a good value for the money).

Running Backs: This position is the toughest to determine what will happen this off-season. I dont know what Gado's contract is but i would extend it. 1 scenario is that green will be back with a 3-yr incentive laden contract and Gado and Green can double teamfor Half Back. A second scenario is that Davenport is resigned for the vet. min. and we trade our 1st down for AZ's 10th and there 2nd and 4th rounders to draft either Deangelo Williams or Lendale White( back field would be White and Gado with Davenport as 3rd Down Back). However if i am completely wrong there are many good FA backs this year. Shaun Alexander (Seahawks)(i think he will get resigned, but one can dream). Michael Bennett (Vikings)(i think hes better than people think he is, in the right system he could be very good, and probably wont be that expensive), DeShaun Foster (Panthers)( should command a big contract from a team thats willing to pay for damaged goods(i.e. busted ankle), Edgerrin James (Colts)(still got some gas left in the tank and probably wont command a gigantic contract, but who knows), Jamal Lewis (Ravens)(has some major character issues and needs to get out of baltimore, but is still young and i think would fit well in GB if he can clean up his act).

Wide Out- Rod Gardner is a Must to re-sign. Who knows if Walker will be back to his old form or if Drivers play will drop off. Other FA's Nate Burleson (Vikings), Reche Caldwell (Chargers), Joe Jurevicius (Seahawks), Brandon Lloyd (49ers), Antwaan Randle El (Steelers), Reggie Wayne (Colts).

NFl Draft-

1st Round-#5 Overall- A.J. Hawk OLB Ohio St. U- This is the safest pick at #5 the guy is could very good or he could be a perennial all-pro...i'd say unless Young is still on the board and TT is getting ridiculous trade down options this is our guy.

2nd Round #36 Overall- Darnell Bing S USc- I just cant resist thinking about Bing and Collins years down the road...he can sit and learn and develop behind a vet. F.A. and will most likely still be around at this pick. Other Options: Trade down in 2nd round and take Richard Marshall CB Fresno st. U, Antonio Cromartie(if he falls, he has great size and ballhawking capabilities).

3rd Round #67 Overall- Nick Mangold C Ohio St. University- I think FLanny will be gone in F.A. so with wells and Chris White and Junius Coston and a drafted center we could be set at center. Other Options: Greg Eslinger C Minnesota ( a little undersized but has great feet and is very intelligent..also blocked for back to back 1000 yd rushers), Joel Klopfenstein TE Colorado (looked great at the senior bowl, i know we have depth at te but if bubba gets hurt..it would help to have another legit tight end besides Donald lee...David Martin should be cut he cant stay healthy).

Possible Compensatory 3rd Round Pick- Kyle Williams DT LSU- This guy is the real deal..i think hes overshadowed by wroten but could be a future star..adds depth to young D-Line. Other Options: Greg Blue S Georgia if we dont take bing in the 2nd this guy is going to be a stud...his coverage needs a little work, but he can lay people out.

4th Round #103- Jerrious Norwood RB Miss St. U- Looked great in senior bowl..could be a steal in the 4th reminds me of Michael Bennett. Other Options: Daniel Manning CB ACU- Could be this years Nick Collins...outstanding highlight reel and could also be a great value in the 4th. Bruce Gradkowski QB Toledo- Its always nice to have depth at Qb and this guy could challenge rodgers for the #2 spot...or push rodgers for the starting job if Favre retires(heaven forbid) reminds me of Charlie Frye.

6th Round #167- Will Allen G Texas- Is a massive guard prospect(6-6, 320) second best blocker on a good texas o-line and blocked for a terrific texas running attack. Not sure if he will be here..but could be a nice pick up and TT has a liking for late round o-lineman. Other Options- Matt Bernstein FB Wisconsin- I will never forget the 2004 Penn St. game where Bernstein rushed for 130 yds..i am not a homer(you'll notice i didnt have the pack taking Calhoun in the 2nd) i think this guy is legit. He reminds me of Corey Schlesinger and a bigger less talented Mike Alstott.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I use the second pick to take a top guard. There will be guys there that we can plug into the line and not worry for the next ten years. Especially since I hear the OL will need to be more athletic in the new system. It may also entice Favre back or give Rodgers better protection if Favre is gone.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
about the new oline system, i believe I heard\read that they will fit the line around the players...so a NEED for new (athletic) players isnt a focus. but thats what i heard.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A post like that will gather critics. You think something out and someone tears it apart. Keep it up.

What happens in free agency affects the draft. It is early and we are unsure of what the Packers GM will do in free agency.

I will only mention a few things for consideration and they should not be considered criticism.

From what I am reading of GM's and draft sites is that this is a draft deep with LB's. A good one could be picked up in a later round or obtained by trading down.

LB is one of the lower paid positions in this era of football. OT is paid more than any position except QB. As OT is more valuable, and TED likes the highest value on the board, don't be suprised if he does not pick the #1 rated OT. He may play OG until he replaces Clifton or possibly Tauscher.

As I posted before the 49'er GM considers Hawk a top 10 pick and has expressed interest in drafting him. I don't think he will last past the 49'er pick. If the Packers trade down I do not think Hawk will be on the board.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Californiacheez wrote: LB is one of the lower paid positions in this era of football. OT is paid more than any position except QB. As OT is more valuable, and TED likes the highest value on the board, don't be suprised if he does not pick the #1 rated OT. He may play OG until he replaces Clifton or possibly Tauscher.

I don't believe TT would let D'Brick go by us either. Last year he took Rodgers when he was the highest rated player. There are teams in this league that would give a left nut for this guy.

Also, does anybody think Clifton is untouchable. How about drafting D'brick to play LT and getting rid of Clifton for either players or draft picks. I'm not sure of Clifton's contract ramifications, but I would think he would be valuable to someone.

I am not in favor of drafting D-Brick to play OG. His contract would demand he play the LT position.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Corners: Al harris had arguably his best season yet. He didnt have the interceptions because there was not a constant pass rush, but shut down alot of #1 wide outs."

Why do you talk about yourself in the third person? Man that bugs me ;)

Seriously though, that is a great post and waaaay too much work to ignore. I would love to see the Packers offer Cato June a contract that the Colts couldn't match and then draft AJ Hawk. Our LB's would be the best in the NFL for the next 5 years.....Barnett, June and Hawk.

OP
OP
A

alharris31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
depack-my aunt has a beach house in bethany beach, DE....is that anywhere near where u live?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
alharris31 said:
depack-my aunt has a beach house in bethany beach, DE....is that anywhere near where u live?

That's about as far away from me as you can get and still be in Delaware......which is still only about an hour and a half away. Bethany is great. I have a condo in Ocean City, MD....which is about 10 miles south of Bethany.

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Bing will be around for the Packers second round pick. He just looks like one of those guys that'll do really well at the combine and have his draft position shoot up. Some teams might even have him higher than Huff.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we get Darnell Bing at 36, i'll jump for joy, but i don't see it happening

i don't see us staying at 6 draft picks, for one we might get compensation for marco rivera (not mike wahle), also, early position in every round means that we could easily trade down and grab more picks, something i'd like to see TT do, and i think he will replicate last year's draft strategy...best player available, or else trade down

harris, a good post, welcome to the board, its too early to be too sure on this draft, pre-combine and all, this is my thoughts on the draft, in brief

1-#5) DE Mario Williams, NC State
--my opinion for this pick has been a revolving door between AJ Hawk, Haloti Ngata and Mario Williams, after seeing what the carolina defense was both with and without julius peppers this postseason, a prolific d-end like williams may very well be might be in our best interest...OR-if vince young is still on the board we could trade down to a team, such as Arizona that could make it worth our while to trade down, reminder, this is a VERY deep draft

2-#36) ILB Abdul Hodge, Iowa
--overshadowed by Chad Greenway and a plethora of other great big ten LB's, but this guy is still going to be a great player, big, athletic, and we could move barnett to OLB

3-#screw it i cant count this high) OG-C Nick Mangold, Ohio State
--Harris suggested this pick, I agree with it, could be a prospect to eventually assume duty at center, or he could be a lighter guard, and finally we would have a guard who could pull, something we missed this year with wahle gone.

3-compensatory (?)-CB Anwar Phillips, Penn State
--Al Harris isn't getting younger, Ahmad Carroll well..., hopefully we bring in a solid vet over the offseason, but regardless this position needs some re-tooling

4-RB Maurice Drew, UCLA
--I think RB should be tended to in the draft, just not early, Drew's a junior who declared, he'll have some time to develop while getting a legit number of carries

late rounds--i say another DT for depth, another LB for depth/special teams, maybe we can strike gold like with Poppinga again, and...WR?

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd have a hard time believing we'll get a compensatory 3rd round pick simply for Marco Rivera and Bawoh Jue. More like a 5th or 6th round pick.

PackFanatic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a well thought out post. One of the best I have read here and on old site. As a matter of fact i liked it so much that i copied and printed and faxed to Admin at Lambeau. I hope they will at least honor the request that the HC and TT get copies to peruse and maybe see some logic in the posting. Hope you do not mind i faxed to them your post :) just could not see why they should not look from a different perspective ( FANS) and maybe a light will go off in their heads. Thank you

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah i like hearing everyone's perspective on this

...and after the combine when the player rankings are a little more defined, i think we should have a special thread where everyone just spills what they think about our draft

OP
OP
A

alharris31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow im glad u guys liked my mock...i hope tt or mm reply to you pack fanatic. It took me a while to put together, but i liked it in the end.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol, yeah, i bet TT would love my posts, and favre would love favre66s "brett can do no wrong" posts

Members online

Latest posts