Al Harris....(sigh)......

Reaction score
McCarthy was asked about the play of cornerback Al Harris and said, "Not as consistent as he would like. It just needs to be more consistent."

Harris, who threatened a holdout this summer because he wants a new contract, was asked if that assessment was fair.

"If he feels that I'm the problem, then getting me out of here may be the way they need to go," Harris said. "If that's what he thinks, then that's the way they need to go. I'm pretty sure there's somebody out there that would like me to play for them."

SOURCE.

Something tells me Al might be a little more mad than he has been letting on.... :(

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: (sigh)......

WTF, are you kidding me?

MM didnt even say anything! he said not as consistent as HE(Al) would like, not MM.

Al sounds like he is overreacting bigtime, kinda like he has been waiting to be 'called out' on his poor play. I don't like this. I don't like this ONE bit!

It reminds me of a south park scene...that I will post in a couple hours after i upload it on youtube.com...

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uhhh, that article makes no sense "not as consistent as HE would like?"

Who is he??? Is MM putting words into Harris's mouth or is he stating himself to be unhappy?

Either way it looks like Al is pissed. I don't like it if MM was talking about Al when there are 2 dozen other guys on this team who are pretty damn inconsistent.

Maybe Al should fire back with how consistent MM is when it comes to being ready to play. Once every 3 games or so this team shows emotion.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
IMO it is quite more shocking the way Harris replied as opposed to McCarthy picking out Harris (from what I understand, a reporter asked the question about Harris and McCarthy answered).

EDIT - McCarthy could have chosen to give a different answer, that is a very viable option in this case.

It will be interesting to read the opinion of the general population here on who is more wrong in this specific matter, Harris or McCarthy.... :-?

Not to mention Harris replying the way he did blew me away.... :(

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol, they ASKED MM....MM didnt schedule a "im gonna badmouth Al Harris" press conference. lol.

im sure he woulda said the same(and might have, im gonna check this out in a bit) if they asked about Woodson...or Manuel...or Carroll(oh wait, hes god now)...

And the way he worded i thought was pretty P.C. and would normally fly if the player is a competitive player who doesnt like playing crappy(which Al is lately). He was, apparently, very wrong about how Harris would take it.

to me, it just sounds like Al isnt happy, and this was gonna happen eventually anyway...which makes me sad. :(

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats true, Harris may have overreacted but I see his point, though he seemed to state it pretty bluntly.

Harris has been inconsistent but so has every other member of the secondary. MM should have said, "none of the guys are playing real consistent"

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, its pretty clear Al wants out which means he will be gone soon. It seems to be getting pretty bitter and no way TT ponies up and pays Al what he wants. Seeing Al go would suck, but to me it looks like its in the works after this year

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Well, its pretty clear Al wants out which means he will be gone soon. It seems to be getting pretty bitter and no way TT ponies up and pays Al what he wants. Seeing Al go would suck, but to me it looks like its in the works after this year

I am getting the exact same feeling here.... :(

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe Harris has been just going through the motions hoping he will get shipped out of Green Bay.
He ain't happy and he knows he will get snapped up by someone else.

I think it's OK for the coach to call out a player if he is not performing up to standards. I don't think you say a player is doing good if he clearly isn't.

I think the door is open and if Al has any heart he will step up his play and close that door. If he just wants out of Green Bay his play may get worse.
This is not good!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I'm happy to see this from Mike.
Not so happy with how Harris responded, but not surprised. Harris isn't your best interview type guy lol

At worst here, we got a pissed off Harris going into a MNF game. He'll be out to prove he's not the weakest link.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok guys - maybe al just had a bad day & made those comments without thinking it thru.

i have no problem with MM saying what he did because it wasn't overtly confrontational.

my guess would be that al KNOWS he's not playing his top game & is probably (hopefully) as pi$$ed about it as MM.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM should have chosen his words better, but he is not really the issue here.

Al Harris, like a number of players in GB, have been unhappy with what he is seeing Ted Thompson do to the team. Woodson's contract is only a small part of it, Manuel getting paid a boat load of money when he is clearly an inferior player to Roman is another.

This is how Al sees it and he has been saying it for some time now, but he shows up to work and gives his best effort in every practice (where young players look up to him and he offers mentoring) and on the field.

I think it is kind of ironic that some of you cry, MM has the right to express his opinion, but imply that Al does not and should shut up and play.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
we badly need to draft a stud CB and sign a stud CB FA next season,

trade Harris, sign Nate Clements and draft a stud CB!!

Al Harris is a stud CB!! He hasn't been at his high level of play lately, but he's been better than some others in our secondary. On the flip side though, he's not getting as much support out there lately. Manuel is no where near as good as Roman in coverage and that leaves our CBs more exposed. Add the poor pass coverage of Poppinga to that mix and we've got two starters who are big liabilities in the passing game, which of course only puts even more pressure on the other guys.

The problem with the pass defense is not because of Harris, nor is it because of Woodson, Carroll or Collins. The other teams know where the weaknesses are and they are taking advantage. If we can get Manuel and Pop to bring their games up to the level of a Harris or those other guys, then we'd have no problem on pass coverage.

GO PACK GO!!!!

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yooperfan said:
Maybe Harris has been just going through the motions hoping he will get shipped out of Green Bay.
He ain't happy and he knows he will get snapped up by someone else.

I think it's OK for the coach to call out a player if he is not performing up to standards. I don't think you say a player is doing good if he clearly isn't.

I think the door is open and if Al has any heart he will step up his play and close that door. If he just wants out of Green Bay his play may get worse.
This is not good!

Harris usually plays better then he has, maybe he does want out of Green Bay...

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem is there are just too many f*cking media outlets and "reporters" trying to make a name for themselves. I don't trust any of them and who knows how the reporter approached Harris about MM's comment.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nail on the freakin head Depack.

too much attention to stupid crap. the situation went like this (i think)

********* Reporter with ****** grin on his face and **** fedora : So mike, how do you feel about Al harris and his below average play so far this year.
Mike: I think he isnt playing up to his standards and would like to play better.
********* Reporter with ****** grin on his face and **** fedora: Hey Al, can you believe MM called you out like that what do you have to say about this.
Al Harris: if thats the case i want outta here.
********* Reporter with evil snicker and horns beginning to appear: My job is complete... ive created a controversy where none was needed. i now have something to write about for at least a couple weeks.

I hate the media

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Bruce said:
Al Harris, like a number of players in GB, have been unhappy with what he is seeing Ted Thompson do to the team.

What other players and where would the source be? I'm already a little miffed at Teddy boy for the Wahle decision! A little more wouldn't hurt.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Bruce said:
Al Harris, like a number of players in GB, have been unhappy with what he is seeing Ted Thompson do to the team.

What other players and where would the source be? I'm already a little miffed at Teddy boy for the Wahle decision!

Bruce, I believe this is purely speculation on your part and have heard of no player, especially on the defensive side of the ball, say they were unhappy with the personnel.

Secondly, MM did not single out Harris as suggested by Pyle. The discussion itself, prompted by the reporter, was centered around the the play of Harris specifically.

What was he supposed to say? His play has been great? His play has been horrible? How about no comment? I'm sure that would have made Harris happy. He stated an obvious fact. Harris has been inconsistant. He certainly ain't going to the Pro Bowl the way he is playing.

I understand in some cases others haven't done their part in certain situations but even in one on one coverage he hasn't been as good as in the past.

These guys are taking heat as well they should. There is plenty of talent and experience back there and their play has been the biggest disappointment thus far.

I'm sorry for any player back there if their feelings are hurt by comments about the quality of play either as a group, or, individually. But they are being paid to MAKE big plays not GIVE them up.

We have had stints in the past where coverage was a problem but Harris' play was always rock solid. So far this year that has not been the case. MM probably isn't going to sugar coat any topic which is fine by me. It is what it is.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Al Harris has expressed his discontent several times to reporters -- but always off the record. When reporters have had the audacity to put some of it in print -- they have been publically dressed down by MM in a great "kill the messager" routine.

If you don't remember it caused quite a rukus in this and other forums at the time.

warhawk said:
Zero2Cool said:
Bruce said:

What other players and where would the source be? I'm already a little miffed at Teddy boy for the Wahle decision!

Bruce, I believe this is purely speculation on your part and have heard of no player, especially on the defensive side of the ball, say they were unhappy with the personnel.

Secondly, MM did not single out Harris as suggested by Pyle. The discussion itself, prompted by the reporter, was centered around the the play of Harris specifically.

What was he supposed to say? His play has been great? His play has been horrible? How about no comment? I'm sure that would have made Harris happy. He stated an obvious fact. Harris has been inconsistant. He certainly ain't going to the Pro Bowl the way he is playing.

I understand in some cases others haven't done their part in certain situations but even in one on one coverage he hasn't been as good as in the past.

These guys are taking heat as well they should. There is plenty of talent and experience back there and their play has been the biggest disappointment thus far.

I'm sorry for any player back there if their feelings are hurt by comments about the quality of play either as a group, or, individually. But they are being paid to MAKE big plays not GIVE them up.

We have had stints in the past where coverage was a problem but Harris' play was always rock solid. So far this year that has not been the case. MM probably isn't going to sugar coat any topic which is fine by me. It is what it is.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Bruce said:
Al Harris has expressed his discontent several times to reporters -- but always off the record. When reporters have had the audacity to put some of it in print -- they have been publically dressed down by MM in a great "kill the messager" routine.

If you don't remember it caused quite a rukus in this and other forums at the time.

Zero2Cool said:
Bruce said:

Okay, but what other players and what did they say and the source so I can hear or read this myself?

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why can't these players just suck it up and improve rather than being upset because someone states the truth about their performance?

ME ME ME

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts