Akeem Ayers (OLB, UCLA)

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]UCLA junior All-America linebacker Akeem Ayers has decided to forego his senior season and apply for the 2011 NFL Draft. "I want to thank my coaches, teammates and everyone at UCLA for all of their help the last few years," said Ayers. "I have had a great experience at UCLA and I am grateful that I had the opportunity to attend such an outstanding school. "I will miss playing with my UCLA teammates next year but I feel that the decision to go to the NFL is what is best for my family. I will always be a Bruin." "Akeem has been a big-play performer throughout his career at UCLA and we support his decision to move to the next level," said head coach Rick Neuheisel. "Who will ever forget his interceptions against Oregon and Temple that he turned into touchdowns or his many sacks? We will miss Akeem, but we look forward to watching him make those same types of plays on Sundays in the NFL." One of the best and most versatile defensive players in the nation, Akeem earned second-team All-America honors from the Walter Camp Football Foundation and third-team acclaim from AP in 2010. Ayers was one of five Butkus Award finalists (he finished third in voting). He was a Lott IMPACT Trophy quarterfinalist and a Phil Steele Mid-Season All-American and was on the Nagurski Trophy, Bednarik Award and Rotary Lombardi Award pre-season watch lists. He was also selected All-Pac-10 first team by the league's coaches. Ayers started all 12 games in 2010. He was fourth on the team with 68 tackles, first (tied) with 4.0 sacks, second with 10.0 tackles for loss and second (tied) with two interceptions. He was T-24th in the Pac-10 in tackles (5.67), T-14th in interceptions (0.17), T-14th in fumbles forced (0.17), T-eighth in fumbles recovered (0.17), T-16th in tackles for loss (0.83) and T-20th in sacks (0.33). - UCLA football

At 6-4, 255 Ayers is the ideal size to play OLB in the 3-4 defense. He also has close to the minimal speed to be effective with a 4.68e. His play is similar to that of Boss Bailey and he is flexible to play ILB and DE. He is our top junior OLB prospect and will most likely be top 2 at that position in the draft overall. He should be a first round prospect.
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

MelrosE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Akeem Ayers is the most over-rated prospect that I know of. If we draft him I'm going to drink my self into a coma

OP
OP
D

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Akeem Ayers is the most over-rated prospect that I know of. If we draft him I'm going to drink my self into a coma

Why do you say that? Why do you think he is so overrated that you would risk your own health if we draft him?

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do you say that? Why do you think he is so overrated that you would risk your own health if we draft him?

I wouldn't say he is completely overrated but hes very inconsistent. After watching some game tape I found thats he's not very good against the run and only takes advantage as a pass rusher when he gets a free release. Other than that hes just your average LB. I wouldn't take him until round 3.

OP
OP
D

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't say he is completely overrated but hes very inconsistent. After watching some game tape I found thats he's not very good against the run and only takes advantage as a pass rusher when he gets a free release. Other than that hes just your average LB. I wouldn't take him until round 3.

I think his versatility to play ILB or DE in addition to OLB will make him a valued commodity. You can't disagree with some of the numbers he has put up in the sack and INT departments. He has a nose for the ball as a rusher and could provide some pass rush for someone. He has the size and speed to be productive which will allow him to get a serious look as a first round talent. His ability to make plays in coverage (which we need) would also be a plus.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts