AJ Hawk

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Damn, he is not very popular here at all.

Gotta admit, not a big fan of his either.:p

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
Ok, so lots of you don't think AJ should be on the field. So who you gonna replace him with? Whats your answer to the position, keeping in mind we have alot of other priority's on the D right now, like DE, OLB, S, Depth in the secondary and D line. Maybe Hawk is doing exactly what Capers is asking him to do, Maybe he is playing his assignment. Just being the DA here no sense replacing a guy if your not upgrading the position.

Easy........Smith. He had 27 tackles and a pick in the 3 games he started. Give Bishop the headset and move on.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I think a full offeason of OTA and training camps will tell the tale on this one. If Smith is better he will get the job.

I like DJ Smith he can tackle unlike a lot of players on our defense. But with his height and stature I think he's going to get eaten up in coverage, especially by the big receiving tight ends that are going to become more commonplace in the next couple years.

God I wish we had a Patrick Willis on our team.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I like DJ Smith he can tackle unlike a lot of players on our defense. But with his height and stature I think he's going to get eaten up in coverage, especially by the big receiving tight ends that are going to become more commonplace in the next couple years.

God I wish we had a Patrick Willis on our team.
And they wish they had A-ROD:D

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think its likely Hawk's play will improve this coming season for a couple of reasons. First, because I think other starters on D will collectively play better (could hardly be worse) and second because we saw him play better in 2010 and he's got to know his job and reputation are on the line. I believe waiving or trading Hawk would result in a neutral cap situation - his 2012 salary about balances off his accelerated bonus give or take $300K or so either way if I remember correctly.

What I am really hoping for is an open competition between Hawk, DJ Smith and Francois. Each of the latter two outplayed Hawk last season IMO although both played limited snaps. Smith is short for the position, but he had one more INT than Hawk and only 2 fewer passes defended (Hawk had 0 INTs and 3 PDEFs). And at least he excelled at something. BTW, Francois had 2 INTs and 3 PDEFs and is listed at one inch taller and a little heavier than Hawk.

I don't know how the discussion went here but I remember Barnett getting criticized heavily by some Packers fans for over-running plays too often. It's a moot point now of course, just say'n…

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I think the real difference will be his new haircut. Less wind resistance. That and I remember seeing several blitzes in which Hawk would take the heat and Bishop would score the sack. Having that helmet also slows you a bit. If you go back and watch last seasons games he is sometimes just getting his head back around as the ball is being snapped. Coaches don't seem to have an issue with his play as of now, going to be an interesting off season, with all these young studs getting OTA's before camp. Should be some good competition in camp this year.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was one who thought we should've kept Barnett as well. Hawk will always be one of my favorite Buckeye bretheren but as a Packer in the pros he's average at best. He just doesn't make the impact game changing plays you need in the middle.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I’m glad to see he took a pay cut and it isn’t just a restructure for cap purposes. At least that’s what jsonline is reporting.
According to a source familiar with the dealings, Hawk accepted it as a pay cut and not a restructuring. It doesn't appear money was moved around to make it more palatable and Hawk wasn't interested in trying to portray it as anything but a pay cut.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/198523791.html

I was disappointed in the deal Hawk was offered by the Packers in 2011. It’s one thing to draft him with the 5th pick and be disappointed when he doesn’t live up to those expectations. But to extend him as if he did or as if his draft position made any difference at that time didn’t make any sense to me. I hope its a very significant reduction.

The uncertain health status of Bishop and Smith and the likely loss of Jones were probably big factors in keeping him, along with the coaching staff's apparent love affair with him.

H

HardRightEdge

I’m glad to see he took a pay cut and it isn’t just a restructure for cap purposes. At least that’s what jsonline is reporting.http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/198523791.html

I was disappointed in the deal Hawk was offered by the Packers in 2011. It’s one thing to draft him with the 5th pick and be disappointed when he doesn’t live up to those expectations. But to extend him as if he did or as if his draft position made any difference at that time didn’t make any sense to me. I hope its a very significant reduction.

The uncertain health status of Bishop and Smith and the likely loss of Jones were probably big factors in keeping him, along with the coaching staff's apparent love affair with him.

...and the dead cap hit if they cut him. The original cap hit schedule for the prorated signing bonus in the previous contract stays in place regardless of any pay cut/renegotiation/extension.

He gets one more year, probably as a 2 down player.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanted Vernon Davis instead of Hawk. I didn't like the big money extension. I'm only for this "pay cut" if it is significant and if it is necessary in terms of the dead cap issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts