AJ Hawk

The Drew

The Drew Cave
Reaction score
Yeah he had some injuries but stayed healthy this year in Buffalo and had a good season with the Bills... I love AJ but he isnt getting it done...

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I bought his jersey the day after he was drafted. Didn't get much for my $100 investment. Thought he would play like Clay.

I am too scared to buy Rookie jerseys anymore. However, I do own 2 Clay Matthews jerseys. Well, I have one and my wife has one. Mine has the Super Bowl XLV patch. I was thiiiiiiiissss close to get a Hawk one though. He is a guy like Finely, I want to like him more than I do. However, that play he made in the endzone against the Saints in week 1 was killer. I still say no penalty!

OP
OP
Rocky11

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
I agree. I also would like to like Hawk and Finley but it is tough. Too many missed tackles and too many drops for my liking. My wife ran out and bought a Jordy Nelson jersey. She liked him from the beginning. He was a good choice. Hawk however was not. Maybe I would look good in a Clay Mathews Jersey. A bigger jersey covers a larger belly better.

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alleluia to this thread! My hubby and I can't have a civil discussion when it comes to Hawk. I'm firmly in the: "he can't run, tackle or cover anyone!" camp & the hubby thinks that he has value as the defensive QB and that Hawk is assignment sure. Who the heck cares if he's assignment sure when he's running 5yds behind the RB or receiver OR he's wrapped up in a bear hug with an OL OR he's taking the "proper" angle waiting for someone else to make the damn tackle!!

More that likely we will not be able to dump his contract but please, please, please...give somebody else a fair shot at putting Hawk on the bench.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Ok, so lots of you don't think AJ should be on the field. So who you gonna replace him with? Whats your answer to the position, keeping in mind we have alot of other priority's on the D right now, like DE, OLB, S, Depth in the secondary and D line. Maybe Hawk is doing exactly what Capers is asking him to do, Maybe he is playing his assignment. Just being the DA here no sense replacing a guy if your not upgrading the position.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
gbpowner, you could tell your husband he could know the playbook backwards and forwards and know the assignments cold and it still wouldn’t make sense to have him on the field either. And you tell him he was involved in exactly the same number of turnover plays as Hawk was this past season. … Or you could opt for domestic tranquility and just think it.

Packers fans are harder on Hawk because of where he was drafted but after finally playing a decent season he stunk it up this season. According to McGinn he missed six more tackles than in any of his previous five seasons.

Who takes his place? Probably no one but I’d have Francois and DJ Smith fight it out and I’d be confident I’d get more production than Hawk provided this season. Smith hits hard and wasn’t bad in coverage. Francois played 2.5 games and had two INTs.

Reaction score
any time I see AJ Hawk, I think of Vernon Davis in a Packer uniform, I think of That Ngata guy from the ravens in a Packer Uniform, I see MJD in our uniform, heck... we make the playoffs in 2006 and probably win superbowl 42 if we had MJD, an awesome HB.... gerrrh! :mad:

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This topic should not rest until he is gone. I do not care how much money he is owed. An undrafted free agent can fill his roster spot and Smith and Francois can play in place of him. Just because he got paid does not mean he should have to be on the field completely sucking it up. If the money is spent....then it is spent. Move on and put the best product on the field, not the guy who got paid and makes the defense worse.

OP
OP
Rocky11

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
We need a Ray Nitchke. He was not afraid. Hawk would rather fall on a pile than actually put his head down and tackle someone. I get so tired of watching him. He is not a leader and that is what we need. We need a linebacker who people are afraid of. When I played high school football we were all afraid of our middle linebacker. Not just guys on the other teams but everybody was afraid of this guy. We all thought he was crazy. That is not AJ Hawk.

shield4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need a Ray Nitchke. He was not afraid. Hawk would rather fall on a pile than actually put his head down and tackle someone. I get so tired of watching him. He is not a leader and that is what we need. We need a linebacker who people are afraid of. When I played high school football we were all afraid of our middle linebacker. Not just guys on the other teams but everybody was afraid of this guy. We all thought he was crazy. That is not AJ Hawk.

The problem is that Hawk has had many chances to improve his game and hasn't all tho Finley seems raw & still young. He has much more room to improve. We have to give a chance to Finley, this guy is / will become a very dangerous TE and I hope he becomes one playing in Green Bay.

OP
OP
Rocky11

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
I agree with you shield4life. I do get frustrated with Finley but I think he does have potential. He runs good routes. He just needs to work on those untimely drops.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/a...h_who_starts_for_the_packers_in_2012/10409479

http://greenandgoldtickets.com/news/packers-might-cut-a.j.-hawk-in-2012/

Hawk has horrible this season, and it's only going to get worse. He would make a decent enough back-up though if only we didn pay him so much. Put him on the trade block, and ask for a 3 (or a 4) try the Eagles, the Steelers, or Seattle. Heck, I wanted to see Hawk on the outside with Walden, Jones, and Zombo to see if he might be worth trying to keep there

The ONLY player he might have outperformed was Peprah, and that's just because he was :poop:

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
any time I see AJ Hawk, I think of Vernon Davis in a Packer uniform, I think of That Ngata guy from the ravens in a Packer Uniform, I see MJD in our uniform, heck... we make the playoffs in 2006 and probably win superbowl 42 if we had MJD, an awesome HB.... gerrrh! :mad:
Don't remind me...

Ok, so lots of you don't think AJ should be on the field. So who you gonna replace him with? Whats your answer to the position, keeping in mind we have alot of other priority's on the D right now, like DE, OLB, S, Depth in the secondary and D line. Maybe Hawk is doing exactly what Capers is asking him to do, Maybe he is playing his assignment. Just being the DA here no sense replacing a guy if your not upgrading the position.

1. Our BACKUPS (either of them) are an upgrade from Hawk, you could say we ALREADY drafted his replacement.
2. IF (and that is one big, unlikely if) Collins returns we have a *deficiency* at safety, not a *need* just like we had a *deficiency* of interior linemen

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Vernon Davis would have succeeded in GB like he has in SF. He had some very rocky years there

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, there is some serious buyer's remorse here.

Hawk certainly has not lived up to the superstar status everyone expects from a #5 overall pick. However, he has been consistent most of his career. I'm sure that someone will chime in to say that he consistently sucks, but that's not a true statement. Yeah we all expected better and for many years he was outplayed by Barnett. After Barnett started suffering his injuries and then the big one in 2010, Hawk stepped it up. He played well that season and that prompted management to extend his contract. Unfortunately, Hawk (like the rest of the defense) collapsed last year.

I'm no homer for Hawk. I really couldn't care. I do think that many of you are being too bandwagon about how bad you think that he is. That entire defense sucked so to single out individual players at this point is unproductive.

PMAC8316

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. People can disagree or point out his issues staying healthy. But when he was on the field he was a leader, an athlete and he could lay the lumber. Something Hawk doesn't know anything about. His instincts were pretty good too. Which is a great trait for a LB.

Barnett had no issues staying healthy this year.

I agree with you on Barnett. AJ Hawk has never been even close to being consistently good. I wish they would cut or restructure his current deal. GB could look at the draft and get someone to upgrade along side Bishop. If Collins doesn't come back then they will have to look at safety but hopefully their first few picks are to upgrade the front 7 of the defense.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts