Aikman on Favre

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just thought I'd throw another log on the fire. This was just posted on Sports Illustrated's web site:

Aikman: Favre likely to retire
Hall of Fame QB says Packers' struggles are too much

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) -- Troy Aikman believes the Green Bay Packers' struggles will likely drive Brett Favre into retirement.

"I'd hate to see him retire," Aikman told The Associated Press on Sunday. "But I know that going out and having seasons like what he went through this past year is really frustrating and it just isn't much fun. So I don't know what he's going to do. I think the fact that he is having a hard time making the decision, in some ways, to me, that kind of has made the decision for him."

Favre hasn't said whether he will return to the Packers, who are coming off a 4-12 season -- their only losing season with Favre under center.

Aikman, a television analyst for Fox, hasn't spoken with Favre since the end of the season but is one of several high-profile former quarterbacks Favre has asked for advice on retirement.

"Over the years, Brett and I have talked a lot about kind of what happened at the end of my career, kind of where he's at right now," said Aikman, who was at Daytona International Speedway to oversee the debut of Hall of Fame Racing, the NASCAR team he founded with Roger Staubach. "And Brett has drawn some comparisons to what he's currently going through with what I went through at the end of my career -- not from a health standpoint, but just kind of where the team is."

Aikman said the Cowboys' downturn was more of a factor than a string of concussions in his retirement decision. Aikman said Favre is in a similar situation.

"Health was a small factor in my decision," Aikman said. "But it had more to do with, I just didn't think that we were doing what was necessary to be competitive any longer. And I know that Brett is dealing with that currently."

Favre threw a career-high 29 interceptions last season, but Aikman believes he still has top-notch skills.

"He's still playing at a high level, and I still believe he's one of the best quarterbacks in the league," Aikman said.

Favre said in an ESPN interview last month that he hasn't made a final decision on retirement, but if he had to decide right now, he would retire.

To Aikman, that signals that Favre's time as an NFL quarterback might be up.

"I don't know then if you ever get back to the level of 100 percent commitment to say, 'Yeah, this is what I want to do,"' Aikman said. "Because usually what happens is that no matter how good your season is, you always go through periods where it's a struggle. The best years we had, with our Super Bowls, we had periods where things were tight. When you're not 100 percent committed, then when you hit those periods, and you're asking yourself, 'Why am I doing this?' And I don't know if you can have your quarterback asking some of those questions."

To me, the most interesting thing Aikman said in the article was this: "I just didn't think that we were doing what was necessary to be competitive any longer. And I know that Brett is dealing with that currently."

Kind of a damning statement on Thompson, don't you think? There's no way to tell whether that's entirely Aikman's opinion or if he's had input from Favre.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've been saying that for years..dude...

Steve Young said it at the beginning of this season...

It's obvious..except to some of the "Packer faithful"...i guess...

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like that.........someone that once was an NFL QB talks up, and you'd think it was GOD talking.
It's still up to Favre, isn't it? If he says he's leaving THEN i'll believe it. Like i have been saying all along, the ones that GUESS right (and thats ALL it is, a GUESS!) will pound their chests and say "I told you so!" But those that are wrong, slink back into the darkness. It ALWAYS happens!
It's like "psychics".........if they guess ONE right, they brag, but all the wrong ones they forget about.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
aikman, collinsworth, marino = drivel, just drivel!!

i'll wait to hear it from the "horses" mouth, thank you very much!

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who said it was GOD talking? Obviously it's just Aikman's opinion, but since he was also a great QB who was in a similar situation, and he has discussed the subject with Favre, his words carry a little more weight than most people's.

It's hard to start a thread on this site without someone trying to turn it into an argument, as if every issue is absolutely black/white, right/wrong.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
come on, greg - tell me you're not sick of hearing all these "experts" & former players talking ad infinitum about favre's possible retirement. all i said was i'll wait to hear what brett has to say - nothing argumentative about that, is there??

i will say that it'd be nice to know wtf is going on sooner than later!

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You cant read into this to much I mean its just Aikman and obviously no one know not even Favre so only time will tell if favre is coming back

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4packgirl: I was replying to cheesey. Your post was made while I was writing mine. And I didn't really mean to single out cheesey anyway. It was more of a general comment.

Getting back to Favre, if people want to talk about his retirement, that's okay. He's a great player, and it's a legitimate subject. I just don't take it too seriously. If an article is silly, I'll just skim over it or skip it entirely. But Aikman's comments were thoughtful and seemed worthwhile to me, whether or not people think he's "right" or "wrong." (Which is not really the point of what he's saying, anyway.)

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
I've been saying that for years..dude...

Steve Young said it at the beginning of this season...

It's obvious..except to some of the "Packer faithful"...i guess...

That seals it!

P@ck66 and Aikman are on the same page! Brett has to retire now.
The team of Aik/P@ck have SPOKEN!!!

Farwell Brett! :(

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
4packgirl: I was replying to cheesey. Your post was made while I was writing mine. And I didn't really mean to single out cheesey anyway. It was more of a general comment.

Getting back to Favre, if people want to talk about his retirement, that's okay. He's a great player, and it's a legitimate subject. I just don't take it too seriously. If an article is silly, I'll just skim over it or skip it entirely. But Aikman's comments were thoughtful and seemed worthwhile to me, whether or not people think he's "right" or "wrong." (Which is not really the point of what he's saying, anyway.)

okey dokey - it's all good, greg. those overlapping posts can cause some misunderstandings, can't they?!? no biggie! :wink: :D

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure Favre will want to see if the Packers are really serious about improving the team before he decides. FA is the time he must decide, well before the draft. The problem is that FA will have very few difference makers that we could afford and that would please Favre. Frankly, it's a sad state of affairs IF we are seriously looking at players with Favre in mind. I hope TT isn't...and I doubt he is. Favre has been great (mostly) but he can't be considered the franchise. Green Bay will survive.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would take a little gloss off of Brett, for myself, if he retires just because we had a bad season. With our draft choices, injured players coming back, cap space, and free agency this can turn around quickly. Aikman didn't like the direction the team was going but it was OK when they mortagaged their future so he could be surrounded by stud players. He was spoiled when he came out of UCLA and he hasn't changed. He, without going into all the details, was in a much different situation than Brett. If the Packers are willing to committ to give 100% to a quick turnaround, Brett should have enough guts to make a committment with them.

Fran Tarkenton, John Brodie, Sonny Jergenson, Y.A. Tittle, Dan Fouts, Archie Manning(don't even like him), Jim Zorn, Lynn ****ey, Trent Dilfer, Kerry Collins, Vinnie Testeverde, to name a few who endured losing for years and most never got a shot at the "big one" but they kept trying. And most til they were older than Brett.

To quote Lombardi "The greatness of the Green Bay Packers in not that they have never fallen, but that they have risen after every fall."

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You've been taught your whole life to compete to win and that is the ultimate goal.

Now Ted Thompson is doing everything he can to get rid of players and coaches who are part of winning teams of the past. He claims he wants to "build for the future". Everything about that rubs a serious veteran the wrong way.

1) The Thompson Packers appear not interested in winning because that is in the mythical future.

2) Any player that Brett has learned to play with and trust will be gone.

3) All these young players haven't learned the fundementals and NFL basics yet. He has to play with a bunch of screw ups how much fun is that?

4) Being a team player he has learned that everyone must give his all for a successful team. Is Ted Thompson really giving his all to win in 2006?

5) With all these low level coaches moving up for the first time at least one of them will prove not up to the task. Especially working with the NFL's lowest Wonderlic average team.

6) Fans booing at halftime. Does Brett really want to put forth a heavy effort for a group of guys that get booed at halftime at home?

7) Playing with guys who don't want to win. They relax and slap hands on the sidelines while Brett is out on the field throwing to guys who laugh off their misses. Veteran leadership is gone.

Who can stop Ted Thompson from acting on a whim? Bob Harlan? No, he is retiring. Anyone else will be fired.

Consider if at your workplace more than 40 percent turnover in 7 months. All supervisors get fired along with the high priced high skilled employees. How much of your future would you want to invest in such an employer??

Brett knows that a lot of Packer fans want to get rid of him. He knows he stands in the way of Ted Thompson's vision of the future and really isn't wanted by the team. He wants to win. Ted Thompson doesn't.

Brett wants to find a reason to play. March signing will likely be the only thing that can tip the scales to his returning. A lot is tipping the scales to quitting.

I really want Brett to play.

Thanks Ted.

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am with you California Cheese. I really want Brett to stay, but from what I have seen I have no love for TT or MM. I think in mho they are going to ruin the Packers. The winning games might even be less than they were this year. I just don't like the way things were handled with MS this year. Sure he made mistakes, but don't we all, and then to have TT say there were personality difference s between him and MS!!! So, that was one of the reasons he was fired. Bah Humbug!!!

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
PackerTraxx said:
It would take a little gloss off of Brett, for myself, if he retires just because we had a bad season.... Aikman didn't like the direction the team was going but it was OK when they mortagaged their future so he could be surrounded by stud players. He was spoiled when he came out of UCLA and he hasn't changed. He, without going into all the details, was in a much different situation than Brett. If the Packers are willing to committ to give 100% to a quick turnaround, Brett should have enough guts to make a committment with them.

To quote Lombardi "The greatness of the Green Bay Packers in not that they have never fallen, but that they have risen after every fall."

Aikman was spoiled..??? The Cowboys mortgaged their future???

I don't know..but I seem to remember them winning 3 SB's with Aikman and that mortgaged future...so the joke was on Minnesota!!!

(And people...it's not like Aikman goes around looking for reporters to tell about what he thinks about the Brett Favre situation in GB...They ask him and he gives an "honest" answer....)

and Traxx..that's the whole point...We don't know if Lord TT is "committed to giving a 100% quick turnaround"...He doesn't say what his plans are so why sould we just "trust him"...The whole point is that Favre has been burned by Harlan and Wolf for the past 6 years for having to play under a coaching/GM infrastructure that was basically, "incompetent", and was learning on the job......Well, imo..that's not good enough for the Green Bay Packers...What makes you think this regime will be any different????

Yes..Packertraxx...that is true...

But do we have to wait 30 god blarn &*%*^ forsaken years (and the squandering of a HOF QB's remaining time in the NFL) to get there?????

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well.......i think if he does play, it WILL be in Green Bay! What, you think it will be in Oakland RP?
(Favre would have to "knock over" a gas station first! Just to qualify!) :wink:

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Well.......i think if he does play, it WILL be in Green Bay! What, you think it will be in Oakland RP?
(Favre would have to "knock over" a gas station first! Just to qualify!) :wink:

"Knock over a gas station."

He has already done that, becuase he still has the arm strength.

I think his last pass actually hit a gas station four blocks from center field.

He had to throw the ball away becuase the offensive line "Once again" did not give him any time.

RP

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some of you poeple on this forum dont' believe in being able to voice an opinion on another person. That means we can never predict what other people will do, because we aren't them.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
My feeling is Brett will play AGAIN.

But it will not be in Green Bay.

so you think favre is a liar? cuz he said he wouldnt play anywhere else. just wonding, im not trying to set you up, rp, just want your thoughts

also, this whole favre 2006 saga sucks hardcore. not only the rumors of him playing elsewhere, but favre himself. hes talking about not being there mentally. Favre?! i never thought that would be an option. i figured his body would break down 7 times over before he lost it mentally. sad days. but im sure its TTs fault favre is losing it mentally.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
TT-romadz said..

"...sad days. but im sure its TTs fault favre is losing it mentally."

Tromadz...this is the first true statement I've heard you utter...

(Favre CAN'T mentally deal with the fact that TT is f**k*** this team up...royally...)

Now walk towards the light....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts