Ahmad Carroll=Scapegoat

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before Monday's game our head coach obviously felt that Ahmad Carroll was our third best corner. After Monday's game he is cut. Could this possibly be because of the pressure TT is feeling from the media and fans?

If he felt he couldn't help the team anymore why not sit him down and try to trade him before the trade deadline? He will probably be signed today by somebody. We could have gotten at least a second day draft pick for him.

Ahmad Carroll was let go to send a signal. Unfortunately it wasn't a signal to the players that we won't accept poor performance. It was a signal that Ted Thompson is feeling the heat and he needed to do something drastic and kneejerk to get people back in his corner (so to speak). Players see right through this. The Packers have one shot at keeping this season from being one of the most embarassing of all and that is for Brett Favre to play out of his mind. It can be done despite the poor job done by the GM and head coach to date.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure he is feeling the heat. I'm sure all GM's feel the heat.

The problem isn't hanging onto him and trading him. It was nobody would give anything for him after the way he played Monday Night. Philly showed that our weakness in the secondary with Carroll being one of the weaknesses.

I think cutting him is fine. Sure it would of been nice to get something but we're not going to get a good player for him so probably a day 2 pick. Maybe a 5th or 6th rounder.

We're looking at a guy we replaced by signing Charles Woodson for and a guy who hasn't been able to get it done even as our nickel back. We're looking at a guy that the entire GB media has wanted out for about a year now. So teams no that.

In the end though whether it's releasing him or trading him, I'm glad he's gone. Schottenheimer and Manuel are next on the list hopefully. Probably not this year but hopefully the off season.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Before Monday's game our head coach obviously felt that Ahmad Carroll was our third best corner. After Monday's game he is cut. Could this possibly be because of the pressure TT is feeling from the media and fans?

If he felt he couldn't help the team anymore why not sit him down and try to trade him before the trade deadline? He will probably be signed today by somebody. We could have gotten at least a second day draft pick for him.

Ahmad Carroll was let go to send a signal. Unfortunately it wasn't a signal to the players that we won't accept poor performance. It was a signal that Ted Thompson is feeling the heat and he needed to do something drastic and kneejerk to get people back in his corner (so to speak). Players see right through this. The Packers have one shot at keeping this season from being one of the most embarassing of all and that is for Brett Favre to play out of his mind. It can be done despite the poor job done by the GM and head coach to date.

:agree: :yeah:

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No

He was the same rookie player he was in 2004.
Lack of progress and the same old problems demonstrated that he was just never going to be any better.

In a rebuilding year either a CB will develop or another with more potential will be drafted.

Carroll's potential or upside were finally accepted as zero.

If Wahle, Sharper, Thomas, Thomas, and Roman were not worth a draft pick then Carroll was not.

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:

I agree DePack about Favre having to play flawlessly, and I hope he does for various reasons, not the least of which is to shut the Packer "fans" up who are saying that Favre has "lost it", "isn't the player he used to be", and "is not a come back player anymore".

The problem though is the same as last year.

The team around him is highly suspect. A shaky offensive line and running game. Not enough talent at WR. And a defense that doesn't show up to play.

Nevertheless, I hope he defies the odds.

Go Pack Go.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i dont think it was like that at all depack. I think he knew his neck was on the line. if you watch his post game interview, he looks nervous as hell. like TT is about to bring the axe in or something.

you dont know that MM and TT didnt sit him down and told him. look: you got the potential but we cant put up with the breakdowns and penalties any more. if you have another game like that, we will be forced to cut you. And again i think its a good message and i hope charles, al, kurt and bob all hear that message too.

i dont know that TT said that. but you cant jump all over TT because you THINK that he is makin Carroll a scape goat or that this was a rash decision. This by all records has been a concern for 3 years now. and i just think after repeated reminders, he was cut.

OP
OP
D

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
i dont think it was like that at all depack. I think he knew his neck was on the line. if you watch his post game interview, he looks nervous as hell. like TT is about to bring the axe in or something.

you dont know that MM and TT didnt sit him down and told him. look: you got the potential but we cant put up with the breakdowns and penalties any more. if you have another game like that, we will be forced to cut you. And again i think its a good message and i hope charles, al, kurt and bob all hear that message too.

i dont know that TT said that. but you cant jump all over TT because you THINK that he is makin Carroll a scape goat or that this was a rash decision. This by all records has been a concern for 3 years now. and i just think after repeated reminders, he was cut.

I'm not defending Carroll my point is why the knee jerk reaction. He may have played bad for awhile but he WAS our nickel corner.....not our 45th player to suit up. Why not call your whipping boy Mike Sherman and ask him. "Hey Mike, do you want your first round draft pick back at Houston? Talk to the GM there and see if you can get us a fifth rounder for him."

Teams don't just cut a young key backup unless you are trying to make a point.

packerfanfourever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.465151+-
How do you know they didn't try to trade him? I am sure all the GM's in the league have seen film on Carroll getting beat time after time (sometimes not all his fault) and none of us know what goes on behind closed doors at 1265.

I don't even know what a 1st round bust corner is worth and what GM would give up a pick for a corner who they see and their fans see get burned time after time.

I was hoping Carroll would shape up and just play ball but the best thing he could do on the field is talk crap with the other team and the officials.

OP
OP
D

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packerfanfourever said:
How do you know they didn't try to trade him? I am sure all the GM's in the league have seen film on Carroll getting beat time after time (sometimes not all his fault) and none of us know what goes on behind closed doors at 1265.

I don't even know what a 1st round bust corner is worth and what GM would give up a pick for a corner who they see and their fans see get burned time after time.

I was hoping Carroll would shape up and just play ball but the best thing he could do on the field is talk crap with the other team and the officials.

Because I know all the GM's in the legue and not one was called. Why are you guys so defensive of this GM? What has he done? It is obvious to anyone paying attention that he didn't try to trade him.

If Carroll is picked up in the next 48 hours will you admit that somebody was interested in him?

vegOmatic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahmad Carroll:

34 games, 28 starts

33 Penalties for 256 yards

11.5 touchdowns allowed by Carroll

packerfanfourever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was not sticking up for our GM, I am not that happy with all his move's but I am willing to give him a chance before I call for his head.

and I believe Carroll will be picked up from waivers in less than 48 hours, I don't know if they tried to trade him or not , and maybe we could of got a 6 or 7.

Trading a former first round draft choice for a 5, 6, or 7 would not make me feel any better about this whole deal.

He is gone and I am going to move on and root for the Packer's this sunday.

OP
OP
D

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packerfanfourever said:
I was not sticking up for our GM, I am not that happy with all his move's but I am willing to give him a chance before I call for his head.

and I believe Carroll will be picked up from waivers in less than 48 hours, I don't know if they tried to trade him or not , and maybe we could of got a 6 or 7.

Trading a former first round draft choice for a 5, 6, or 7 would not make me feel any better about this whole deal.

Where did I "call for his head". Yes having a second day draft pick would make me feel better.....or are you forgetting the genius we have picking players? Why give him up for nothing if you might get something for him? Ego?

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
packerfanfourever said:

Where did I "call for his head". Yes having a second day draft pick would make me feel better.....or are you forgetting the genius we have picking players? Why give him up for nothing if you might get something for him? Ego?

I agree with you 100% DePack. He still had more value on this team than a Coston or a Humphrey. He also suffered from a serious lack of Safety help.

Interesting Fact - article BEFORE the Philly game

Manuel and the other safety, Nick Collins, each has given up two long touchdown passes. [now 3] Their combined total of five 20-plus pass plays allowed in three games is the exact same amount that Collins and the departed Mark Roman allowed in 16 games last season.

Another interesting Tidbit from the article

"I think those two safeties are both bad cover guys," a personnel director said Thursday after watching the Packers' first three games. "Any inside passing game, any post-corner, anything over the top they're to help with, forget it. I don't know how the hell Manuel stays on the field. He's not a good player at all."

packerfanfourever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no you did not say anything about calling for his head, that was just my thought.

We just don't know what goes on behind closed doors, did they try to trade him? I don't know do you De? Was he a cancer in the lockeroom? well I don't know for sure. Did they try to trade him earlier? don't know.
Is it the GM's Ego? I sure as hell hope not but I don't know. Is it he had not played up to his 1st round potential and he was causing some problems in and out of the lockeroom and the Packers decided to move on.

I believe its the last one but thats my opinion

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packerfanfourever said:

Why? People were happy to get that for Javon Walker, and he was an all-pro!

I don't know why people are so quick to label a young player a bust after only 2 years and poor coaching.

It will be interesting to see if the same people will be willing to label any of TT's acquisitions "busts" as time unfolds.

I think this thing is definitely split along party lines...

OP
OP
D

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are only reading parts of my posts. If you would take the time to read the entire post then you would see that we DO know.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Ahmad Carroll=Bad player

I agree. People can swing it on others or people can say things differently but in the end Carroll will never live up to his 1st round pick. He's just not a very good football player. He's a track star playing football pretty much.

Carroll was beaten twice on Monday very badly. One was for a TD. He was beaten badly against the Saints as well where he just completely took the fake. While the safeties aren't playing well right now, Ahmad Carroll is not the solution to getting the secondary better. I'm glad he's gone. I didn't care how they got rid of him. It's best for the Packers and Ahmad Carroll as well. Some times guys need a new place and a fresh start. He'll get that some where’s eventually because of his speed he'll stay in the NFL for a while but will never be anything special and that’s what we all hoped for.

packerfanfourever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
tromadz said:
Ahmad Carroll=Bad player

I agree. People can swing it on others or people can say things differently but in the end Carroll will never live up to his 1st round pick. He's just not a very good football player. He's a track star playing football pretty much.

Carroll was beaten twice on Monday very badly. One was for a TD. He was beaten badly against the Saints as well where he just completely took the fake. While the safeties aren't playing well right now, Ahmad Carroll is not the solution to getting the secondary better. I'm glad he's gone. I didn't care how they got rid of him. It's best for the Packers and Ahmad Carroll as well. Some times guys need a new place and a fresh start. He'll get that some where’s eventually because of his speed he'll stay in the NFL for a while but will never be anything special and that’s what we all hoped for.

Agreed

OP
OP
D

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
tromadz said:
Ahmad Carroll=Bad player

That wasn't the topic porky. I don't think anyone on this thread was saying Carroll "ever lived up to his 1st round pick". Nobody has said he "is the solution to getting the secondary better". The same however could be said for Manuel whom we just signed for 10 million. Now please go back to the beginning of this thread and answer the question. I expect trom to change the subject...not you.

Members online

Latest posts