Agreement on CBA on the way?

uwbadger12000

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=502864

Breaking News: Agreement on CBA on the Way?

By TFY Draft Preview

Date: Feb 25, 2006

Breaking news about the CBA and the 2006 salary cap!

An NFL source has told Scout.com that the 2006 salary cap will be announced on Monday, February 27. 2006's cap, according to this source, will be $95 million. This is on the high end of what was expected - most estimates were anywhere from $92 to $95 million.
Atlanta Falcons GM Rich McKay, who co-chairs the Competition Committee and has long been a major player in league matters, talked to the media on Saturday about the possible extension to the Collective Bargaining Agreement that would greatly affect how cap money is spent.

McKay said that the teams remain hopeful that there will be an extension, despite Player’s Association head Gene Upshaw's recent comments that agents should negotiate as if there will be no extension. McKay also said that without a new deal, the March 3 free agency deadline will not be pushed back.

McKay said that it would be "extremely difficult" to operate without an extension.

Without a cap, McKay said that the "tricks of the trade" will all drop into this year's cap, affecting cap room. Contracts would only be able to be four years long and he thinks trades will be less likely because of accelerated bonuses. He also expects free agency would be slower.

But in late-breaking news on this matter, Seahawks.NET has been informed by our Scout.com source at the Combine that members of one NFL organization are telling their staff that there is a very strong chance that the CBA will be extended by the deadline. Significant recent progress has been made, according to our source.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think they would let it happen Gopack.........too many teams would suffer. And if there is NO chance for any team but the "rich" ones to win the super bowl, the NFL would die. And NO team wants that. So i think it will all get done. Back in the 1970's and earlier, it didn't matter as much how rich you were, cause the salarys of the players were not so rediculous. You could keep a good team together for years, cause no one would pay insane amounts of cash to lure players away. Now, if you are on a super bowl team, everyone wants to "buy" you onto your team. It makes it REALLY hard to remain a winning team.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With taxpayers footing the bill for many of the new stadiums why should the players at this point think that they should get the extra revenue generated from taxpayer investment.

They put none of their capital into it they now want to extract revenue from investments they did not make.

Those who invested(the taxpayers) should reap any benefit.

Any team "needing" a new stadium like the Vikings and 49'ers now really don't know what to build. The Colts have plans based on old system and could be building a stadium for the wrong agreement. The Cardinals just built one based on the old rules.

At least for now the Packer Pro Shop and Fanfest money won't be shared with the low revenue Vikings.

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They couldn't make an agreement today, but the deadline has been extended to Sunday.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup Gopack!!! I will be there too!
You will have to watch for me. I have LONG blonde hair, and now sport a mostly grey beard. I will probably wear either my GOLD Packer jersey, or my Fan Fest shirt. If you see me, come on up and say HELLO!

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
I don't think they would let it happen Gopack.........too many teams would suffer. And if there is NO chance for any team but the "rich" ones to win the super bowl, the NFL would die. And NO team wants that. So i think it will all get done. Back in the 1970's and earlier, it didn't matter as much how rich you were, cause the salarys of the players were not so rediculous. You could keep a good team together for years, cause no one would pay insane amounts of cash to lure players away. Now, if you are on a super bowl team, everyone wants to "buy" you onto your team. It makes it REALLY hard to remain a winning team.

You hit it right on the head cheesey.
Back in the good old days the owners were rich but not filthy rich like some owners are now nor were they as foolish as some of these guys now.
There a re a select few that have more money than they know what to do with and want to live vicariously through the best players they can buy.

The old type owners like Rooney, Mara and Halas were football people that didn't believe in just throwing money around.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol and that's why they hated the AFL in those days, as Vince Lombardi said he had to pay guys more than he wanted because of the stinkin' AFL!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yooperfan said:
cheesey said:

You hit it right on the head cheesey.
Back in the good old days the owners were rich but not filthy rich like some owners are now nor were they as foolish as some of these guys now.
There a re a select few that have more money than they know what to do with and want to live vicariously through the best players they can buy.

The old type owners like Rooney, Mara and Halas were football people that didn't believe in just throwing money around.

HOW TRUE Yooper! Guys like Jones of the Cowboys, and Daniel Snyder of Washington try to BUY Super Bowls. They would push out the small market guys (like us) without a cap. If it doesn't get done, the players AND owners are slitting their own throats. I hope they arn't THAT stupid.

Members online

Latest posts