Afc Vs Nfc

whoartthou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was wondering guys... but in your opinion, which conference has better teams?

Are the pats/ravens/steelers/chargers better than the packers/saints/lions etc etc?

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I was wondering guys... but in your opinion, which conference has better teams?

Are the pats/ravens/steelers/chargers better than the packers/saints/lions etc etc?

And you left off the 49ers?

****!!!!!

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
I feel like the nfc is a bit stronger this year. Thats partly because I think the packers are far and above the best team in the league. I do believe that the saints, lions, niners are all very tough teams to beat.
From what I've seen the patriots while great offensively have a pretty bad defense, in fact last time i checked they were dead last in the league. The ravens have great defense but so-so offense. And the steelers haven't been up to par with what they've been in recent years.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I think the NFC is the strongest, and have been the last 2 years.

Hopefully we'll be seeing it the way we used to with the NFC winning the Super Bowl 3 times in a row.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I actually think San Diego could get truly battle tested for the postseason this year. They still have to play the Packers, at Detroit, Baltimore at home, at the Jets, Raiders twice and Bills at home. And they already played at NE. And even at Chicago won't be a a walk in the park.

They won't get the attention the Pats/Ravens get but they will be there.

If SD wins the West they will compete with the Pats/Ravens for a bye week. No doubt whoever wins the AFC South is the 4th seed and a lost cause.

Steelers are sadly hanging tougher then I expected so far too. They won't go down yet.

To answer the question, the NFC has won 2 of the last 3 SBs. The tide has started to turn ever since the Giants upset the Pats. There are up and coming QBs in the NFC. The AFC can't just live and die on Brady/Manning rep forever unless one of them starts winning the big one again.

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually think San Diego could get truly battle tested for the postseason this year. They still have to play the Packers, at Detroit, Baltimore at home, at the Jets, Raiders twice and Bills at home. And they already played at NE. And even at Chicago won't be a a walk in the park.

They won't get the attention the Pats/Ravens get but they will be there.

If SD wins the West they will compete with the Pats/Ravens for a bye week. No doubt whoever wins the AFC South is the 4th seed and a lost cause.

Steelers are sadly hanging tougher then I expected so far too. They won't go down yet.

To answer the question, the NFC has won 2 of the last 3 SBs. The tide has started to turn ever since the Giants upset the Pats. There are up and coming QBs in the NFC. The AFC can't just live and die on Brady/Manning rep forever unless one of them starts winning the big one again.

San Diego will once again fold in the playoffs. Living in the city I've seen it firsthand several times. The team has regressed since the firing Marty Schottenheimer after going 14-2 in the 2006 season. Norv Turner and his predictable play calling will again be the Chargers demise come playoff time.​

NFC>AFC

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the best teams in the league, Packers and Saints, are in the NFC.

The AFC has more elite teams, with Patriots, Ravens, Chargers, Steelers...

The NFC has more medium teams, like the 49ers, Lions, Giants, Redskins, Falcons, Bucs...

To sum it up, the elite talent in the NFC is better than the AFC, but the AFC has more elite teams, though the NFC has less really bad teams, like the Colts (without Manning), Chiefs, Browns, Dolphins, Jaguars...

Does any of that make sense?

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
The Pat's have Brady and a line that gives him all day to throw. The Ravens have a fearsome Defense, Chargers Have a talent but can't win the big games. Steelers are getting old. Brady and Manning are entering the autumns of their carers. The ravens and Jets are all about defense with just enough QB to win.

I think the NFC has more young Talented QB's that are on the rise than the AFC and I think the pendulum is swinging back to the NFC. I see the NFC Dominating the next ten years of football (Led of course by the Pack). Look at the Stable of young QB's in the NFC, Rodgers, Stafford, Bradford, Freeman and now Newton, plus Brees and Cutler if they ever give him protection (can't wait for the reaction to that one).

OP
OP
W

whoartthou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Pat's have Brady and a line that gives him all day to throw. The Ravens have a fearsome Defense, Chargers Have a talent but can't win the big games. Steelers are getting old. Brady and Manning are entering the autumns of their carers. The ravens and Jets are all about defense with just enough QB to win.

I think the NFC has more young Talented QB's that are on the rise than the AFC and I think the pendulum is swinging back to the NFC. I see the NFC Dominating the next ten years of football (Led of course by the Pack). Look at the Stable of young QB's in the NFC, Rodgers, Stafford, Bradford, Freeman and now Newton, plus Brees and Cutler if they ever give him protection (can't wait for the reaction to that one).

manning sure.. but i don't see brady regressing just yet.

I don't think stafford/bradford are really that good (i mean stafford has calvin johnson to throw to!). I would wager that pats/ravens are >>> than packers/saints or equals (packers being > pats... ravens being >> saints as of now).

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Interesting, I swear I have

The NFC has more medium teams, like the 49ers, Lions, Giants, Redskins, Falcons, Bucs...

To sum it up, the elite talent in the NFC is better than the AFC, but the AFC has more elite teams, though the NFC has less really bad teams, like the Colts (without Manning), Chiefs, Browns, Dolphins, Jaguars...

I think the only true elite team in the league is Green Bay. Not joking either.

There are elite players around the league on teams but are those truly elite teams?

OP
OP
W

whoartthou

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There are elite players around the league on teams but are those truly elite teams?

you have got to be joking...

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
you have got to be joking...

Why would I be joking?

The Packers are elite . And then there are a handful of very good to good teams. And then a bunch of middle of the pack teams. And a few horrible teams.

JMO of course.

I said there are elite players on several teams in this league that make those teams good enough to contend and be scary. But, as for truly elite teams I don't see much. It's weak batch out there to me.

Unless the Packers suffer major injuries or their plane goes down there is no reason why this team should not win another title this year. I know the odds are against repeat SB winners but what else is out there? Who else is good enough in January or Feb that you would bet on to beat Green Bay?

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now I think the NFC has the better set of teams. The NFC is jumping. But as I posted in another thread, I think the AFC has yet to manifest. They are kind of in sleeper mode right now. Sooner or later, one or several AFC teams will rear their heads. It may not be who you expect. I think things are kind of wide open in the AFC right now.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

100% agree.

Now which team would be better, the all afc or all nfc?

OP
OP
W

whoartthou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would I be joking?

The Packers are elite . And then there are a handful of very good to good teams. And then a bunch of middle of the pack teams. And a few horrible teams.

JMO of course.

I said there are elite players on several teams in this league that make those teams good enough to contend and be scary. But, as for truly elite teams I don't see much. It's weak batch out there to me.

Unless the Packers suffer major injuries or their plane goes down there is no reason why this team should not win another title this year. I know the odds are against repeat SB winners but what else is out there? Who else is good enough in January or Feb that you would bet on to beat Green Bay?
TO be quite honest, i will make my judgement on the packers after they face a few more good defensive teams. The saints game was the first game, and the falcons while good are not on the level of some other teams.

I wanna see how the packers games against the lions/chargers pans out before i make my decision.

As of now, however, its packers...and than the rest of the field

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
TO be quite honest, i will make my judgement on the packers after they face a few more good defensive teams. The saints game was the first game, and the falcons while good are not on the level of some other teams.

I wanna see how the packers games against the lions/chargers pans out before i make my decision.

As of now, however, its packers...and than the rest of the field

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Thats fair, I also want to see the Pack against those teams. I am not as high on the Lions as some though. They still don't run the ball well and didn't they give up over 200 yards on the ground to the Niners? The Niners can run the ball but still....I see weaknesses there that I think GB can exploit well and indoors too. Granted it's a division rival so the game might be tougher then I expect. I do have a hunch right now the Packers might take the Lions to school in Detroit though.

Chargers off a bye week for the Pack. Hmmm....it's in San Diego. With Manning out Rivers might be the only QB who would truly scare me other then Brady right now. Hate him or love him he is a player.

I am too harsh on teams I think, but I am picky. I did not even consider my Colts an elite team last year. We were falling despite having Manning. Heck even he had an off year at times with so many picks but sometimes looking back I wonder if he was hurting. Some very bad wtf throws at times. Also, our o line was awful.

Pats are impressing me more lately since they have shown more of a run game. Still not sure I trust the D though long term but they have time to grow. Wish the Pats or Ravens played the Pack in the regular season. Heck even last year with Rodgers out the Pack gave the Pats all they could handle in NE and NE was the overwhelming choice to win it all.

Ravens likely have an elite D and run game. Not sure about the passing game yet. I do think Flacco is a tad bit underrated though at times. I think he can take the next step.

I guess overall the NFC gets the slight nod due to the Pack being in it and the conference having two real true elite QBs in Rodgers and Brees. Without Manning in the AFC the elite status for QB supremacy falls on Brady with a few in the running like Rivers and dare I say it Big Ben? Ugh......hate having to put Ben up there. I think the Steelers might be my least favorite team in the AFC, yes even over NE and SD. I don't even hate the Pats as much as people think. When the Pats beat the Colts in past playoff games I always felt they were better. But, against the Steelers in 05 that game still gives me nightmares.

I was ready to count the Steelers out weeks ago but I might have jumped the gun. I know those guys won't go away, I just know it since thats how they operate, they like to torture me. I actually think they would be more dangerous as a WC too. They are hanging tough so far with all these injuries.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree.

I think there are some teams in the verge of being elite.

The Saints, if their D comes together.

The Patriots, the same.

The Ravens, if Flacco can turn into an elite QB.

But, right now, the only really elite team is the Packers.

The last game the Packers lost by more than 1 possession was week 8 of 2009 against Tampa Bay... In fact, in Rodgers' career, there has been only 4 games where the Packers lost by more than 1 possession. 2008 against NO, TB and DAL, and 2009 against TB.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
100% agree.

Now which team would be better, the all afc or all nfc?
That is a great question.

NFC: (VERY biased)

QB: Rodgers
RB: Peterson
TE: Finley
WR: Johnson
WR: Fitzgerald
WR: Jennings
LT: Jordan Gross? Not many good LTs in the NFC...
LG: Jahri Evans
C: Scott Wells (nobody is playing better than Scott Wells right now... 1 pressure allowed all season)
RG: Josh Sitton
RT: Jon Stinchcomb? Not many good tackles in the NFC...

(defense listing both 3-4 and 4-3, but it's really hard, because different teams run different systems.)
4-3:
DE: Julius Peppers
DT: Ndamukong Suh
DT: Cullen Jenkins
DE: Jared Allen
OLB: Lance Briggs
ILB: Brian Urlacher
OLB: Sean Wheaterspoon?
3-4
DE: Justin Smith
NT: BJ Raji
DE: Darnell Dockett
OLB: DeMarcus Ware
ILB: Patrick Willis
ILB: Desmond Bishop
OLB: Clay Matthews
CB: Tramon Williams
CB: Charles Woodson
CB: Asante Samuel
FS: (would be Nick Collins without a doubt...) Earl Thomas? Malcolm Jenkins?
SS: Adrian Wilson

AFC:

QB: Tom Brady
RB: Darren McFadden (not taking Fred Jackson)
TE: Antonio Gates
WR: Andre Johnson
WR: Reggie Wayne
WR: Wes Welker
LT: Joe Thomas
LG: Logan Mankins
C: Nick Mangold
RG: Marshal Yanda
RT: David Stewart

4-3
DE: Dwight Freeney
DT: Richard Seymour
DT: Haloti Ngata
DE: Terrell Suggs
OLB: Von Miller
MLB: Ray Lewis
OLB: Kamerion Wimbley?
3-4
DE: JJ Watt (this guy is just a beast, plus the AFC lacks quality 3-4 DEs)
DT: Kyle Williams
DE: Aaron Smith?
OLB: LaMar Woodley
ILB: David Harris (better than Bart Scott)? NICK BARNETT???
ILB: Lawrence Timmons
OLB: Tamba Hali
CB: Darelle Revis
CB: Champ Bailey?
CB: Antonio Cromartie?
SS: Polamalu
FS: Reed

The places where I see clear advantage are the OTs for the AFC and the CBs for the NFC. The rest I think it's pretty close...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is a great question.

NFC: (VERY biased)

QB: Rodgers
RB: Peterson
TE: Finley
WR: Johnson
WR: Fitzgerald
WR: Jennings
LT: Jordan Gross? Not many good LTs in the NFC...
LG: Jahri Evans
C: Scott Wells (nobody is playing better than Scott Wells right now... 1 pressure allowed all season)
RG: Josh Sitton
RT: Jon Stinchcomb? Not many good tackles in the NFC...

(defense listing both 3-4 and 4-3, but it's really hard, because different teams run different systems.)
4-3:
DE: Julius Peppers
DT: Ndamukong Suh
DT: Cullen Jenkins
DE: Jared Allen
OLB: Lance Briggs
ILB: Brian Urlacher
OLB: Sean Wheaterspoon?
3-4
DE: Justin Smith
NT: BJ Raji
DE: Darnell Dockett
OLB: DeMarcus Ware
ILB: Patrick Willis
ILB: Desmond Bishop
OLB: Clay Matthews
CB: Tramon Williams
CB: Charles Woodson
CB: Asante Samuel
FS: (would be Nick Collins without a doubt...) Earl Thomas? Malcolm Jenkins?
SS: Adrian Wilson

AFC:

QB: Tom Brady
RB: Darren McFadden (not taking Fred Jackson)
TE: Antonio Gates
WR: Andre Johnson
WR: Reggie Wayne
WR: Wes Welker
LT: Joe Thomas
LG: Logan Mankins
C: Nick Mangold
RG: Marshal Yanda
RT: David Stewart

4-3
DE: Dwight Freeney
DT: Richard Seymour
DT: Haloti Ngata
DE: Terrell Suggs
OLB: Von Miller
MLB: Ray Lewis
OLB: Kamerion Wimbley?
3-4
DE: JJ Watt (this guy is just a beast, plus the AFC lacks quality 3-4 DEs)
DT: Kyle Williams
DE: Aaron Smith?
OLB: LaMar Woodley
ILB: David Harris (better than Bart Scott)? NICK BARNETT???
ILB: Lawrence Timmons
OLB: Tamba Hali
CB: Darelle Revis
CB: Champ Bailey?
CB: Antonio Cromartie?
SS: Polamalu
FS: Reed

The places where I see clear advantage are the OTs for the AFC and the CBs for the NFC. The rest I think it's pretty close...

LOL I was waaaaaaay too lazy this morning for that. Its crazy to think Ray Lewis is still one of the best at his age. There have been alot of great MLBs in the history of the NFL, but none have played at such an elite level for as long as ray has. I cant think of many football players in general that have to be honest.

What about C Wake? Yeah their corners are struggling. That might be the difference maker.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL I was waaaaaaay too lazy this morning for that. Its crazy to think Ray Lewis is still one of the best at his age. There have been alot of great MLBs in the history of the NFL, but none have played at such an elite level for as long as ray has. I cant think of many football players in general that have to be honest.

What about C Wake? Yeah their corners are struggling. That might be the difference maker.
Working in Ray Lewis' favor is that the MLB position is dying and there aren't many elite MLBs out there.

I can think of Willis, then? Bishop is #3 in tackles this year, and already has 3 sacks. Bishop is really good. Would anyone call him elite? Jon Beason? Timmons? I mean, those guys are good, but they're not elite...

As for Wake, I chose Hali because his body of work is better and he is in front of Wake in sacks, but neither guy is in the level of Matthews/Ware. The guy that has that spot is James Harrison, but not hurt like he is.

I struggled with a lot of positions, I haven't watched every team closely to say how everyone is playing right now... I went a lot by recent production, but based it mostly on last year's production, and how guys play. But some positions like the other OLB opposite Briggs in the 4-3 and the 3-4 DEs in the 3-4. A lot of the really good guys are too old now, like Aaron Smith and Shaun Ellis.

Had a lot of trouble finding great corners in the AFC. Devin McCourty went a lot by names and ints last year, the guy isn't that good, he struggles covering man to man, he gets beat consistantly, and by average receivers. Brandon Flowers played well last year, but he has struggles this year. Champ Bailey is old and hurt...

One thing that I didn't do is put 4-3 players in the 3-4 and vice versa, regardless if they played it in the past. Per example, contrary to popular belief, the Ravens do not play a 3-4. When they did, a few years ago, Lewis struggled disengaging blockers.

What they play isn't a clear 4-3 either. Their base is a 4-3 over with Terrell Suggs playing DE most of the time, in fact, when Suggs was tagged, there was a big discussion whether he should get OLB or DE money... And they like to use the 46 defense a lot, as do the Jets. It's a staple of Bud Ryan's defense, and Rex has carried it over in every team he has played, but he uses it situationally, not every down like his father...

This all-conference thing is hard to do, to do it properly one would have to watch every game from every season, and focus one player at a time...

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

What about the QB just in the NFC North? IF Ponder turns out to be good, than the worst one might be Cutler. The tide has turned and the NFC is taking the lead in stronger teams. To me the division to beat the next 5-10 years will be the NFC North.

cupacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've felt the NFC has been stronger the last couple years. The NFC HAS won 3 of the last 4 SBs :)

But yeah, I feel like GB, NO, SF, DET, NYG, ATL, are better than NE, SD, NYJ, HOU, BAL, as a WHOLE.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts