AFC/NFC Championship Game - Inside the NFL

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last week, I was so sick, from the FLU bug, that I blew off making my Inside the NFL picks... --- 'sides, Cheesehog pretty much took the Title, this year, anyway - and congrats on that.

But this week --- I'm picking the AWAY Teams to win out.

Steelers win
Panthers win

Otherwise, it's a very boring Superbowl... all over again!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with the picks as well and the Steelers will come out on top giving Bettis that SB ring he's been waiting for. Steelers will control the game by running the football the way only Pitt knows how. Did anyone see the statistic about 2nd half Steeler football? They run the ball over 75% of the time when leading going into halftime. I think that stat says a lot about "smashmouth" football and how effective it can be. It'll be hard for Steve Smith and Delhomme to do anything from the sidelines as the Steelers rack up first down after first down IMO....

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, I was wrong on 1 of the picks...Seattle looks better than I thought they would. Their D did an excellent job harrassing Delhomme and keeping the ball out of Smith's hands. I stand corrected.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Comment by Troy Aikman - was that Carolina had gotten past the other teams, with having to pace themselves against mediocre (PHIL) Quarterbacks..... And, he was right! Suddenly, when faced up against a Team with a pretty darn good QB -the flaws started to show. One thing's fer sure - Tom Jackson & Co., on ESPN didn't have a clue about how bad the Panthers would show themselves to be - and (ahem) neither did I. Up to this point, I thought the Carolina D, and Steve Smith, would pull this out - Obviously, John Fox has some work to do, in the Offseason.

Now - we have the West (Left) Coast going up against the East (Right) Coast.

East meets West, smack dab in the middle - in the Midwest - Detroit City.

Will Hasselbeck fill out the dream of Paul Allen?

Or will a second year QB "shock" the Nation!

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
East meets West, smack dab in the middle - in the Midwest - Detroit City.

Detroit isn't exactly in the middle. It's abhout 2000 miles from Seattle and 200 from Pittsburgh. The middle would be somewhere in South Dakota.

showgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's another Super Bowl angle: The Steelers are an old NFL franchise that was moved to the AFC with the merger. The Seahawks were an AFC expansion team that was moved to the NFC during a reorganization a couple of years ago. While the current conference of the winner will have bragging rights this year, the old conference may take some solace in defeat.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually - it's 2561.27 miles between Seattle and Pittsburgh - according to Mapquest.

Just the same - please explain why they don't call South Dakota - the Midwest (?)

Seattle to Detroit = 2,386.20 miles (but, it's with the wind..)
Pittsburgh to Detroit = 285.66 miles

Holmgren said the whole damn Stadium was coming with him to the SuperBowl.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Seattle to Detroit = 2,386.20 miles (but, it's with the wind..)
Pittsburgh to Detroit = 285.66 miles
That's driving. Physically the cities are closer to the numbers I gave, but regardless it was still a ballpark.

IPBprez said:
Just the same - please explain why they don't call South Dakota - the Midwest (?)

Not really sure what you're saying by this. I'm just trying to say that Detroit isn't in the middle of East and West (it's much more East), not whether SD is considered a midwestern state or not.

rmayer32

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was impressed by Carolina against the Giants, not so much against the Bears because I just thought they were flat out a better team.

I'm VERY impressed though with how Seattle just shut them down.. I didn't think their Defense had it in them. :shock:

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correct - sorta how several other 'winning' teams were suddenly caught off guard by having to play equally matched personnel. Back a few weeks ago - you would have thought the Colts could have whupped the Chargers, but didn't even come close... and the Rams put on a good show at first - causing some trepidation, as well.

This SuperBowl is probably going to be one of the better ones we've had in several years.
Might as well stock up now - you won't want to be leaving the front room, hardly at all.

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've enjoyed a few of the Superbowls recently. Well, as much as I can not haivng the Packers participate. That said, I will enjoy this one the most since the Packers won if Pittsburgh rolls over Seattle.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts