Adrian Peterson

How many yards will Peterson run for Saturday night on us (closest to)

• Total voters

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we've all been having nightmares of #28 carving us up like a glacier thru the sea.
You wonder why it's so hard for our little 198 pound DB's to tackle this guy? Take a look at this Purple Hulk with Speed.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

It isn't just our DB's that he runs over & past:

Anyway, how many yards do you predict this guy gets on us Saturday night?
200+yard monster game again?

What can we do to stop or slow this guy down?
Do we have a reliable strong safety we can sneak into the box time & time again --who is capable of at least grabbing this guy and hanging into him for a half-second so teammates can get there and hammer him down, maybe knock the ball out?

Seattle has one in big safety Cam Chancellor. Troy Polamalu was famous for this, so was Nick Collins for us. Robert Griffith was the best I ever saw for the Vikings.

The thing is, and I have watched a ton of film this week of the Vikings running, against us and others: They block well, they hold well, and Peterson breaks tackles like nobody since Jim Brown. They have good designs on runs with the TE's and FB's blocking well, the OT holding the edge, and good movement from the pulling guards.

Capers can know what play is coming, and call the right defense. But our guys are going to get blocked and there aren't going to be 2, 3, 4 guys getting to Peterson within 3 yards. There's often going to be one guy only.

Do you have faith in our tackling?
How many guys are you confident in? The DL and Matthews? Woodson?

I have no faith in any of the CBs or Safeties other than Woodson, but I worry Peterson's first run into him will re-crack Woodson's collar bone.
We need to put Woodson's courage into the rest of the DB's.

Even Hawk doesn't tackle this guy well.
Brad Jones is no natural ILB. For this game (and next in SF if we make it), we really could use Desmond Bishop dammit.

I watched film of these 2 games, and their TEs and WRs block well but also get away with holding that I have seen called hundreds of times. We need McCarthy to put pressure before the game, on the refs, to call those tightly. If they get flagged early, it will force them to block legally.
If our DB's can't get off the WR's blocks, and Matthews/Walden/Moses off the TE's blocks because they are getting away with mugging them, it hurts us badly.

But if they are forced to block and not hold, it helps us a ton. McCarthy has to go after the refs to call this early.

I'll tell you what I would do to (try to) stop Peterson.

I would throw a surprise at the Vikings by playing some 4-3 defenses. All week long, and last week, they scouted our film and figured out how to block our 2 DL & our 3 DL formations. Obviously they have success against us.

But if all of a sudden they have Raji, Pickett, Wilson, and Neal there, it's gonna mess them up a bit for awhile. Show them some unscouted looks and it might pose some big problems, allow us go get some big bodies into the backfield and smother Peterson.

Is Mike Daniels the only other healthy body we have at DE/DT/NT right now, with Worthy bowing out last week? That might be a problem. Where's Daniel Muir when we need him? Philip Merling?

Hjalmar Davidson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is quite the specimen alright. I say we tackle the freakin guy ! Seriously, AP had like 35 carries less than aweek ago and hes been carrying the queens all year. We dont have to stop him. Just play good team defense this time and we will win.

If Iwas MM I would not defer the football at the opening kickoff. Take the football , go no huddle, spread em out and attack, attack, attack. AIR IT OUT ! Get a lead on them.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
He is quite the specimen alright. I say we tackle the freakin guy ! Seriously, AP had like 35 carries less than aweek ago and hes been carrying the queens all year. We dont have to stop him. Just play good team defense this time and we will win.

If Iwas MM I would not defer the football at the opening kickoff. Take the football , go no huddle, spread em out and attack, attack, attack. AIR IT OUT ! Get a lead on them.
Because tackling him is obviously so easy.

MM has already said he probably won't defer if he gets the choice next time.

APGu28

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As impressive as that pic is, I think this one says it all:

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just something unnatural about a guy that pretty much runs at guys like that and doesn't get hurt...even goes as far to say he can play 12 more games and is begging to play special teams.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't matter, as long as we focus on ponder and him turning the ball over.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Just remember, this wont be his home carpet he is running on.....it will be some frozen,stone cold, cement hard....tundra. His cuts wont be as sharp and he wont like getting tackled to the turf on the cold lonely ground.

Personally. I would play him dirty and roll over on his ankle......f*ck that guy.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't matter, as long as we focus on ponder and him turning the ball over.
With pressure on Ponder, especially on the 3rd & longs, there comes a better chance for those turnovers.
But if you just rush 3, drop 8 into so-called "coverage" (yeah I'm looking at you Hayward), then he's gonna have plenty of time, feel comfortable, not rush, and therefore make a good read and pass. That, like last Sunday, will equal no gifts from him.

We have to get pressure on him.... that was the whole focus of our draft last April, to get more pressure on QBs.

It seems most of us expect about 150 from Peterson. That would be an improvement from the last 2 games.... we could win or lose with him getting 150.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
With pressure on Ponder, especially on the 3rd & longs, there comes a better chance for those turnovers.
But if you just rush 3, drop 8 into so-called "coverage" (yeah I'm looking at you Hayward), then he's gonna have plenty of time, feel comfortable, not rush, and therefore make a good read and pass. That, like last Sunday, will equal no gifts from him.

We have to get pressure on him.... that was the whole focus of our draft last April, to get more pressure on QBs.

It seems most of us expect about 150 from Peterson. That would be an improvement from the last 2 games.... we could win or lose with him getting 150.
I'll defend that call and say if you double cover all his receivers, and don't rookie out on it, Clay will eventually find his way to Ponder

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really feel that they will keep AP under 100 yards. BJ was doing pretty good there a couple times but he can't do it by himself. I think the rest of the guys will step up this Saturday.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Just remember, this wont be his home carpet he is running on.....it will be some frozen,stone cold, cement hard....tundra. His cuts wont be as sharp and he wont like getting tackled to the turf on the cold lonely ground.

Personally. I would play him dirty and roll over on his ankle......f*ck that guy.

Already established the ground wont be frozen being held around 50 degrees...

APGu28

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll defend that call and say if you double cover all his receivers, and don't rookie out on it, Clay will eventually find his way to Ponder

Ponder also is pretty mobile so if you do that, he will take the first opening there is.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Ponder also is pretty mobile so if you do that, he will take the first opening there is.
It was pretty evident last game that Ponder was trying not to run, plus when its 3rd & 14 (thanks Phil) you have a good chance of catching him before he makes the marker. I don't expect Ponder to stay in the pocket alot this game, if he ever keeps the ball. Honestly, just direct snap it to AP and add an extra blocker lol

APGu28

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was pretty evident last game that Ponder was trying not to run, plus when its 3rd & 14 (thanks Phil) you have a good chance of catching him before he makes the marker. I don't expect Ponder to stay in the pocket alot this game, if he ever keeps the ball. Honestly, just direct snap it to AP and add an extra blocker lol

I would not be opposed to that at all. I would put Peterson to the right and Wright to the left. Peterson runs to the left, if it is covered, throw it to Wright. Better chance than Ponder repeating last week's performance.

And Ponder is making a point to not run so much because he has done it to a fault. I think he will need to this game, though.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Over/Under for yards rushing for Peterson is only 125.5 over at Bovada.lv.
I just put a little $ down on him going OVER that.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
well, all I care about now is beating the 49ers.

held AP to less than 100 yds and the purple ****** will be watching the playoffs from their couches.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

But that would be unsportsman like :eek:........pmsl

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

well, all I care about now is beating the 49ers.

help AP to less than 100 yds and the purple ****** will be watching the playoffs from their couches.

I had a nightmare last night that MOSS scored the deciding TD...........Now I cant sleep for the rest of the week :tdown:

Members online

Latest posts