About Face in the Favre Saga...yet again

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
Contrary to reports, Brett Favre does not have an appointment with Dr. James Andrews on Tuesday and doesn't consider surgery on his partially torn biceps tendon to be imminent, according to a source.

Favre discussed surgical and non-surgical options with Andrews last week, as ESPN has reported.

Citing unnamed sources, the St. Paul Pioneer Press reported that Favre was to meet with Andrews on Tuesday in Birmingham, Alabama, to discuss surgery on his throwing shoulder and that the procedure was expected to be performed later this week.

Favre, however, remains focused on non-surgical options, including cortisone injections and natural movements like light throwing and bicep curls that might cause the tendon to release naturally, the source told ESPN. If the tendon releases and the pain subsides, Favre is virtually certain to play again. If he has surgery and his arm strength diminishes or the pain remains, he will remain retired, the source said.

At 39, Favre believes the less he has to do to correct the problem the better as he believes he still possesses the arm strength he had 10 years ago. The difference now is the injury is causing pain. According to the source, Favre will return to the NFL to play for the Minnesota Vikings if the tendon ruptures and it makes him pain-free. If he submits to arthroscopic surgery and it fails to resolve the problem, then Favre intends to remain retired.

Either way, Favre is losing patience, causing the source to say the shoulder problem must be overcome soon or Favre is likely to abandon his effort to play a 19th NFL season.

Ed Werder covers the NFL for ESPN.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read this today on my Blackberry. I have a hard time believing his arm is going to magically heal without surgery. He will most likely remain retired, Vikings are not going to be getting Farve.

OP
OP
wizard 87

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
Childress leaves door open on Favre

Minnesota Vikings coach Brad Childress told reporters attending today's open OTA practice that he hasn't spoken to Brett Favre in weeks but didn't close the door on the possibility of signing the retired (for now) legendary quarterback.

Asked why he wouldn't simply end talk on the topic, Childress said, "Because I think you take every situation as it comes along. For me to stand here and say something is going to happen I don’t know. I just don’t know. It’s all hypothetical and I just think we’ve got to the point where we hypothetically ask a question that we have to have an answer to. … So the question becomes the story and you can write volumes on it one side or the other. Again, it’s not something that I’m entertaining and I’m more focused on the guys that are part of this football team."

Per the Star Tribune's report, Childress declined comment on reports the Vikings have received and reviewed Favre's medical records. It's been reported widely that the extent of the injury to Favre's throwing shoulder -- he has a partially torn biceps tendon and possibly additional damage -- is the primary roadblock in his comeback for a 19th NFL season.

Quarterbacks Tarvaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels also spoke with reporters after splitting reps in practice. Both said they're trying to ignore all the Favre talk.

Which will continue indefinitely.

Dizzle498

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Minnesota Vikings coach Brad Childress told reporters attending today's open OTA practice that he hasn't spoken to Brett Favre in weeks but didn't close the door on the possibility of signing the retired (for now) legendary quarterback.

Asked why he wouldn't simply end talk on the topic, Childress said, "Because I think you take every situation as it comes along. For me to stand here and say something is going to happen I don’t know. I just don’t know. It’s all hypothetical and I just think we’ve got to the point where we hypothetically ask a question that we have to have an answer to. … So the question becomes the story and you can write volumes on it one side or the other. Again, it’s not something that I’m entertaining and I’m more focused on the guys that are part of this football team."

Per the Star Tribune's report, Childress declined comment on reports the Vikings have received and reviewed Favre's medical records. It's been reported widely that the extent of the injury to Favre's throwing shoulder -- he has a partially torn biceps tendon and possibly additional damage -- is the primary roadblock in his comeback for a 19th NFL season.

Quarterbacks Tarvaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels also spoke with reporters after splitting reps in practice. Both said they're trying to ignore all the Favre talk.

Which will continue indefinitely.

To me the guy is just seeking attention. He likes his name in the news. Ultimately he won't return. IMO.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me the guy is just seeking attention. He likes his name in the news. Ultimately he won't return. IMO.

Even though I would like to see him return, I think you are right on him not returning. Just to much Brett Farve love... :(

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now the Vikings say he's retired ,I never thought he would return.

Members online

Latest posts