Abdul Hodge will be the steal of the draft...

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
if hes that great he can learn to play outside so we can leave nick in the middle

He doesn't have the size or speed to play on the outside. Barnett does. Now like I said Hodge is the type of player that gets faster and plays bigger come gametime.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love Hodge to and I think he would be fine at any LB position but Porky is right in due time he'l start but for Now its Taylor/Barnett/Hawk

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hodge has stood out, but he's been playing against mostly second-teamers.

Also, Hodge is a middle linebacker. Hawk's role is different.

One indicator is that NO ONE is saying Hodge is going to unseat BARNETT.
That should tell you who are saying CANTON that he hasn't won the starting middle linebacker yet, much less upping A.J. Hawk.

My take is the Packers are grooming him for next season when Barnett might go elsewhere via free agency.

Also, Saturday night was the first time the Packers have played full-contact. We'll see as the exhibition season moves forward.
The beat writers say he has the physical tools, but at times does the wrong task required in the system and tries to overcome it by being physical.

wayneweltzin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this might be a stupid thing to say.....Why wouldnt the Pack consider using a 3-4 with the linebacking group they have...or maybe even move KBG around with the 3-4 (Kinda like what they did in NY With L.Taylor). IF the linebacking group they have is going to be the core of the defense, they really could mix it up with blitz packages. Also It might give the chance to get Hodge on the field. I really feel he can be a quiet talent. That and he was the more talented Linebacker between him and Greenway (the vikes 1st round pick).
check out the stats on this guy, it is insane,,,19 tackles against Florida in the 2005 Outback Bowl (record). 16 tackles against LSU in the 2006 Capital Bowl (record). these were great offensive teams the past couple years. 158 tackles last years which ranks 2nd in school history. Why was this guy not a 1st rounder???
link:
http://hawkeyesports.cstv.com/sports/m- ... dul00.html
~Wayne

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets just hope the vikings or the bears take chris leak (please he is a good QB) but everytime he would see hodge he freeze up and or dive down. :lol:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hodge seems to be a natural football player, and will give 110% and tackle whoever has the ball if he can get near them. Im in love.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't wait to see this LB group against the other NFL teams, not just our rookie OL, which is basically a college line at this point of camp. Just being real.

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barnett is my fav Packer.

...But he does need to be moved outside.

It would free him up to over-pursue like he likes.

I haven't have the luxury to have seen Hodge quite yet...

So his skills suit inside? From what I read he's been hitting and is quite frenzy-ed...

Can he be responsible in coverage enough to play inside?

Please enlighten me.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
Hodge has stood out, but he's been playing against mostly second-teamers.

Also, Hodge is a middle linebacker. Hawk's role is different.

One indicator is that NO ONE is saying Hodge is going to unseat BARNETT.
That should tell you who are saying CANTON that he hasn't won the starting middle linebacker yet, much less upping A.J. Hawk.

My take is the Packers are grooming him for next season when Barnett might go elsewhere via free agency.

It's not about unseating Barnett. It's about playing your 3 best LB's on the field at the same time. Barnett can play outside. Many teams projected him to an outside LB when he entered the NFL. The Packers think he can play outside. They’ve talked about it before. If getting the 3 best LB's on the field at the same time means moving Barnett to SLB and Hodge in the middle, then GB should try it.

If Barnett is truly a great LB then he will have no problem making the transaction. I believe he played outside in college as well at Oregon State.

tonytokes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1 - that hit he made in the backfield in the scrimmage was massive. took a little helmet shot on that but i like what i saw... was almost as if his shorter height gives him an advantage of getting to the ball without distraction.

2 - maybe ive missed it but has there been any talk of barnett being opposed to going outside. like a jeter/a-rod sort of situation? barnett seems kinda like the guy who wants his cake and if not then he's elsewhere... like trying to play the packers a bit (his bar thing and the comments he made about it possibly affecting his decision to stay in GB).

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that Barnett will be moved to the outside eventually, as in next year or the year after, but I doubt we'll see it this year. Right now, Ben Taylor and AJ Hawk will probably be the starters, with Hodge relieving off the bench. Right now, as much as I love Hodge and Barnett, it's too late to make the changes. Hodge probably isn't quick enough to be a starting OLB in the NFL, and Barnett has spent all of camp as the starting MLB. Next season, if Hodge and Hawk play as well as we think they will, I believe we will see Hodge as the MLB and Barnett moved to the strong side. But right now, Barnett in the middle, Hawk on the weak side, and Taylor on the strong side is our best setup.

Members online

Latest posts