Abdul Hodge: Where to from here?

Reaction score
With Barnett signing an extension, it assures he will remain a Packer for the next little while.

The question now becomes: Where does Barnett's extension leave Abdul Hodge?

- Is Barnett going to be shifted over to the strong side to let Hodge man the middle?

- Is Hodge going to be developed, and take over the strong side?

- Is Hodge going to be groomed for a starters spot, with the eventual goal of switching to a 3-4 with Hawk/Barnett/Hodge/Poppinga as the LBs?

- Is Hodge going to be groomed to be the top backup at all 3 LB positions?

Personally, I'm starting to think it is quite possible that Hodge may now end up being used as trade bait, specifically in the Moss deal. I just don't think he has a future here in Green Bay long term. He seems suited to the MLB spot, and with Barnett already there I think they may choose to resign Taylor and bring in another MLB to backup Barnett.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also see him as a backup, or maybe trade bait. I don't think there could be a switch to a 3-4 unless a new DC comes in. Hodge's future in Green Bay looks cloudy, although looking on the bright side, it's a good problem for the Packers to have. I wish they had that problem at some other positions.

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no reason to get rid of Abdul Hodge now, it's important to have good backups and Hodge can be a good backup at MLB, as long as he's being payed a rookie contract that is a cheap good backup.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so far hes offered nothing more than a kick *** nick name.

keeping him here cheap wont be a problem if he rarely gets playing time in a backup role.

he was a third round pick im pretty sure, he dropped that far for a reason, so its not like teams are clamoring for him ya know. Keep him as the backup to all three spots. cant hurt to have depth anywhere. especially with a guy we all think could be big time.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy has too much talent to stay where he is, IMO. It's up to coach Moss to help Abdul get more from his talent. I know nothing about Iowa football, but surely he had to cover TEs or RBs while playing LB at Iowa. He couldn't have lost it all by just signing with the Packers. I think his chances last year were much like Rodgers in that he only got in in truly bad situations. The knock on him is that he's slow. Well, he didn't look slow returning that INT for a TD. To me, it's a no-brainer now to move Barnett to SSLB and try Hodge in the middle, at least in camp. Barnett's got his money now and the move will allow him to use his speed more effectively. If they don't change, they might just as well use him in a trade deal. He'll do well somewhere.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Abdul Hodge doesnt have a ton of value. So far he has did next to nothing and in the game were he played for Barnett we were run over by Alexander and some say he was part of the reason. He was drafted in the 3rd round if any team wants to they can go out and draft a decent LB in the 3rd.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
PL, I agree with you but that's why I think Hodge might be good trade bait especially in a deal to the Raiders for Moss.

Raiders need some LBs, and Hodge is young enough to improve and contribute. He does have some potential, and to be honest I think TT being a LB in his NFL playing careers could find it easier to identify a LB in the later rounds that may be able to provide backup the first couple of years.

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
fans think Hodge's worth is a lot more than it is.

I'm hoping he will be a solid special team player and back-up for the Pack in 2007.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Abdul Hodge doesnt have a ton of value. So far he has did next to nothing and in the game were he played for Barnett we were run over by Alexander and some say he was part of the reason. He was drafted in the 3rd round if any team wants to they can go out and draft a decent LB in the 3rd.

Hodge had 6 tackles, 2 pass deflections and a fumble recovery for a touchdown in the Seattle game. Wasn't the greatest game ever, but definitely wasn't a game that made me question his ability. He hasn't had much of a chance to show what he can do. I've been watching him play since his freshman year at Iowa, so I've seen what the guy can do, but he's not everyone's idea of an ideal MLB. Hodge was never mentioned without Chad Greenway while here at Iowa. It's one of those things were the combination of the two was what made it work. I think Hodge, Hawk and Barnett on the outside could be a great combination as well. Am I a bit bias? Yeah, maybe, but I'm also a guy who hated A.J. Hawk with a passion for four years, so I'm an equal opportunity kind of guy.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerLegend said:

Hodge had 6 tackles, 2 pass deflections and a fumble recovery for a touchdown in the Seattle game. Wasn't the greatest game ever, but definitely wasn't a game that made me question his ability. He hasn't had much of a chance to show what he can do. I've been watching him play since his freshman year at Iowa, so I've seen what the guy can do, but he's not everyone's idea of an ideal MLB. Hodge was never mentioned without Chad Greenway while here at Iowa. It's one of those things were the combination of the two was what made it work. I think Hodge, Hawk and Barnett on the outside could be a great combination as well. Am I a bit bias? Yeah, maybe, but I'm also a guy who hated A.J. Hawk with a passion for four years, so I'm an equal opportunity kind of guy.

it didn't make you question his ability? did you watch the game? sure it looks alright on paper, but he got abused in that game.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
PackerLegend said:

it didn't make you question his ability? did you watch the game? sure it looks alright on paper, but he got abused in that game.

The entire defense was abused. They didn't run at Hodge the entire game, so you can't blame Alexander's game on him alone. It was his first career start. He wasn't a first round pick. He's not A.J. Hawk. Kampman and Poppinga only had 5 tackles in that game, so why not question them too? I'm not saying Hodge is the greatest MLB ever and should have Barnett's spot. Not even close. I just don't see the point in wanting to ditch a guy after one game that wasn't the best, but wasn't the worst.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm not saying we should ditch him because of that game. i'm not even saying we should ditch him. all i'm saying is he got punished in that game.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see why he can't be a solid MLB as a backup. Plus he was a 3rd round pick and a team might see him as a nice prospect to land someday. Back in the mid 90's I remember the Packers having at least 4 or 5 quality linebackers on the roster. No problem having him here.

I will say Hodge at SLB is a bad idea. He's to small and slow in coverage. It just wouldn't work in my opinion.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It really pains me to see this guy with so little to offer the team. I can't help but wonder how he could have lost so much talent(apparently) with the move to the NFL. I know many, many players in college never could handle the NFL but his is not a "skill" position as such. I've been disappointed with many a pick(Reynolds comes to mind) but this one is one of the worst. Sad.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
are you serious grandpa???? are you freakin serious... you think this is one of the worst draft picks the green bay packers have ever made, and you think its SAD??

he was drafted in the 3rd round with the second of two picks we had in that round. Hes going into training camp as the likely backup to all 3 LB positions in competition with Ben Taylor, and this guy is on of the worst picks ever???? He made like 400 thousand dollars last year, and hes disappointing, He accounts for .46% of the packers salary cap. seriously.... .46% (THATS A DECIMAL POINT BEFORE the 46!) and he is a dissapointment??
WAY OFF in my opinion.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me this guy is the perfect example of a draft pick with a lot of potential that they can take time to develope and in the mean time he can be there if one of the LB's gets hurt.

Just because we were older than dirt and went on a youth spree doesn't mean every rookie player that doesn't start and show the potential Hawk or Jennings has is a bust.

You NORMALLY want to be able to bring the rookies along until they are ready to step in a couple years down the road. The guys going into his second year for christ sakes.

Cool your jets.

The guy starts one lousy game at a very demanding position and there are those here that have ALREADY DETERMINED the guy to be a waste .

Some of you guys crack me up.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
With Barnett signing an extension, it assures he will remain a Packer for the next little while.

The question now becomes: Where does Barnett's extension leave Abdul Hodge?

- Is Barnett going to be shifted over to the strong side to let Hodge man the middle?

- Is Hodge going to be developed, and take over the strong side?

- Is Hodge going to be groomed for a starters spot, with the eventual goal of switching to a 3-4 with Hawk/Barnett/Hodge/Poppinga as the LBs?

- Is Hodge going to be groomed to be the top backup at all 3 LB positions?

Personally, I'm starting to think it is quite possible that Hodge may now end up being used as trade bait, specifically in the Moss deal. I just don't think he has a future here in Green Bay long term. He seems suited to the MLB spot, and with Barnett already there I think they may choose to resign Taylor and bring in another MLB to backup Barnett.

This is the NFL. With injuries (knock on wood), it doesn't hurt to have solid backups at LB. I want to keep Hodge.

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hodge made some plays and some mistakes in his first game. I thought he showed flashes of what he could do. Also, the defense dominated Seattle early on but wore down as the offense couldn't keep the ball worth a damn. Hodge also played pretty well on special teams last year. In regards to the cover issue, that something he'll need to work on as the guys he covered in college aren't, as a whole, nearly as fast or talented as in the NFL. Poppinga struggled horribly in coverage early and even Hawk looked dumbfounded in the preseason but Hawk caught on pretty quick and Poppinga made large strides as the season went on. So for now enjoy the fact that as a 3rd round pick he was able to contribute a little here and there and might develop into a solid player in the not to distant future.

Members online

Latest posts