Abdul Hodge, Jon Ryan released

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
New punter?

NFL.com reported Aug. 31: "Green Bay is expected to sign former Redskins punter Derrick Frost."

NFL_GEEK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: New punter?

I heard about this over at NFL forum the other day...what? is Jon Ryan not good enough?

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2008/09/01/1/

The Green Bay Packers have signed punter Derrick
Frost and long snapper Brett Goode and released punter Jon Ryan and linebacker Abdul Hodge.Ted Thompson, Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations, announced the transactions Monday.

Derrick Frost, a fifth-year pro from Northern Iowa, spent the past three seasons with the Washington Redskins (2005-07) after beginning his NFL career with the Cleveland Browns (2004).

-

Brett Goode originally signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars as a non-drafted free agent in April 2007 and participated in training camp before being released. He re-signed with the Jaguars in March 2008 before his release in June.

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ryan and hodge both out.....

wow i cant believe this. thought Abdul Hodge was the MVP of the preseason. And didn't think ryan did to bad either after the first game. just really unexpected to see him cut for frost who is very inconsistant. of course ryan has the problem with crushing punts in the endzone but id rather have that then a shanker. hopefully frost kept his bad habbits in washington. and good news is we got a long snapper.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archi ... e-out.aspx

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Weird move to release Jon Ryan this late in the preseason. wonder what thats about.

Had to get a long snapper i suppose... but did it have to be Abdul Hodge to go. we spent a lot of time on him and he looked to be healthy and hitting again. I guess even The Butcher has to go the chopping block sometimes.

weird.

pack4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This move is definitely very surprising to me, I didn't want to see Hodge go, i was hoping at the very least we could've used our one of these LB's as trade bait for a potential DT...

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/ ... ndex.shtml

Thompson, McCarthy speak
General Manager Ted Thompson is about to make a previously unscheduled media conference to talk about the moves made earlier in the day: releasing punter Jon Ryan and linebacker Abdul Hodge, and signing punter Derrick Frost and long snapper Brett Goode.

Here's what he's saying ...

* Why change at punter? "We felt like it helps the team get better. Jon's a great guy. He's done a good job here. I think consistency might have been the overriding factor. But it's tough."

* Is hang time biggest issue? "I think Jon's really improved. He's obviously very talented, very strong athlete. He can hit punts like no one I've ever seen." But technique, get-off time, etc., were issues.

* What so attractive about Frost? "We do like his consistency. He's got very good mechanics, nice hands, good athlete. ... We think he's a pretty solid player."

* What think about second half of last year with Frost? "He had some bad wind games like we did, but he also looks like the kind of guy that can kind of adapt in those situations."

* Want more of a directional punter? "That's a very important aspect. ... We do think that Derrick brings that ability a little bit, but it's sort of the whole package." Mentions consistency again.

* Concerned about new snapper, holder and punter in opener? Thinks Frost is an excellent holder. Notes long week of practice before Monday night game.

* Try hard to trade Hodge? "We made calls on most if not all the guys that we wound up releasing." Calls it "normal stuff."

* Any intention of carrying seven linebackers? "Sure." But after added thought, "this was best way to go about it."

Coach Mike McCarthy is up next. Here's the newsiest of what he has to say:

* On Matt Flynn being No. 2 on depth chart: "Matt Flynn's going to take the No. 2 quarterback reps." Pleased with progress of both players, but reps are limited. Didn't feel splitting reps was in team's best interest. Felt Flynn was more productive in preseason, "but it's a competition that will continue. ... Brian will have a chance to get the job back." Likes that Flynn can get out and make plays in space. Plays game with edge, is aggressive. Liked film at combine -- fundamentally sound, good mechanics, good athlete.

* On whether good for Brohm to step back: Doesn't look at it that way. "He's been put in some tough spots, but that's football, it's preseason football." Ball not coming out of hand consistently. Fundamentals that were good in college haven't been that way here.

* On injured players: Will wait until end of week. Certain players will not work until end of week. Tuesday's practice will be like a normal Wednesday for those who do practice.

* On changes on special teams entering opener: Had positive experience with Ryan. "You have to trust your evaluations. That's why we grade players. ... This is just a matter of trusting your evaluations."

* Mike Stock have familiarity with Frost? Worked out in college, but did not overlap in Washington. Echoes Thompson's remark about consistency. "The No. 1 factor they felt is he has a very high level of consistency."

-- Tom Pelissero, [email protected]

NFL_GEEK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: ryan and hodge both out.....

wow! i can not believe this...i mean i can see Hodge being cut...but Ryan? wow...i always thought he was a pretty good punter? Ted...I really hope you know what your doing this season...

NFL_GEEK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
first they let williams go, then brett, then now Hodge and Ryan?....arrrg.. ****! at least Jon can run a 35 yard..so what... Ted...release Chifton and Tauscher so GB can be a chaos!

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank God TT finally addressed the punter & LS positions. They're much more important than the offensive & defensive lines.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A little surprised, not a big deal. I'm not going to second guess Thompson here. Peopled were a little upset the other year when GB decided to go with that rookie kicker Mason Crosby. How's that working out.

As for Hodge. Third string LB. It probably came down to who plays better special teams, Hodge or Bishop. Looks like Bishop, and he's consistently healthier. That's how that goes.

I don't really care. This new punter will end up doing fine. When have they done a move like this that backfired completely? Never? Ok.

Lare said:
Thank God TT finally addressed the punter & LS positions. They're much more important than the offensive & defensive lines.

Oh please...

OP
OP
B

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's amazing that I put the news about Ryan up here hours before the official word because I actually looked at nfl.com.

Do jsonline or the press-gazette do any research? Nfl.com had the news about the Pack being interested in Frost yesterday, but we heard nothing about it.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I merged the topics. Technically billv got the news first, beating out the seldom behind IronMan.

I do also find it mighty peculair that NFL.com beat any local papers to this story. That never happens unless people don't want it to happen. That's my take anyhow.

TheEngineer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
Crosby has to be nervous. He could be gone any day.

I'm just going to assume this was satire.

Anyway, once Ryan can improve on his consistency he can be one of the top punters. Hopefully someone else will pick him up, maybe he could make a decent backup HB!

I'd also like to know why Jarrett Bush, or Charlie Peprah is still worthy of a roster spot. I don't understand why we're keeping them still, perhaps we plan to use a lot of nickel and dime packages?

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, cutting Ryan was a big mistake. The gross average was well over 40 yards but, the net was under 37 so perhaps some of the blame should go to the coverage team.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CalifPacker said:
IMO, cutting Ryan was a big mistake. The gross average was well over 40 yards but, the net was under 37 so perhaps some of the blame should go to the coverage team.

Part of me thinks they looked at that and made the decision anyway.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
in my humble opinion, it has everything to do with the ability to pin a team deep, not kick touchbacks, and aim away from Devin Hester.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
in my humble opinion, it has everything to do with the ability to pin a team deep, not kick touchbacks, and aim away from Devin Hester.

thats definetly the way it looks to me. I personally don't think it was because Jon Ryan was bad at punting. Because he could boom the ball.

I think they think this was just a step up. A guy who can kick pretty hard but is also accurate and consitent. TT and MM both mentioned about how long it took for Ryan to kick. So that has something to do with his net. The longer it takes in a guys kicking stride the more time you have to block, and when you have to block you cant get down field and tackle. So i think it was more a situation where his release is faster and his kicks were more consistent so they figured it was a step up. and who are we to argue really.

and as far as Hodge goes. I think they are upset about it. I dont think they wanted to lose him, but figured having 3 MLB's was too many when they had to have a long snapper.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get too excited about a punter. I was looking at Ryan and Frost's averages over their careers and they were pretty even. Maybe this Frost fellow will be a little more consistent. I'm glad they found a long snapper but poor Hodge is the odd man out. It probably came down to a numbers game. I'm glad they kept Bishop over Hodge, frankly.

Members online

Latest posts