Abdul Hodge deserves to be cut?

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What happened to this guy. Last year he looked like the real deal. He looks awful so far this year.

Edited by AADP so people don't mistakenly believe this thread is about Hodge already having been cut.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Abdul Hodge Gone

Nah. He'll make the roster by default. You don't give up on a third round draft pick after two years.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Abdul Hodge Gone

Hodge is slow and stupid (which always loses the race). Desmond Bishop was all over the place tonight and should be the back up MLB.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Abdul Hodge Gone

Hodge is not "slow and stupid". The guy missed all of the OTAs and pretty much all of training camp because of tendonitis in his knees, and the problem hasn't gone away. Of course he's not going to look so great.

Bishop is a stud. When he was on the field, he was right in the mix on almost every play. I like the guy alot. He definitely deserves the backup job.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Abdul Hodge Gone

Hodge is not "slow and stupid". The guy missed all of the OTAs and pretty much all of training camp because of tendonitis in his knees, and the problem hasn't gone away. Of course he's not going to look so great.

So says the Hawkeyes fan.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score

nathaniel said:

So says the Hawkeyes fan.

Notice I didn't say anything about the Packers keeping him. I know he's not the best option. Bishop is, by far. That doesn't mean Hodge is slow and stupid. To expect him to be 100% is ridiculous. Tendonitis is not fun. The pain doesn't just go away.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Abdul Hodge Gone

He was slow last year before he had tendonitis and showed no instincts for the most part (football stupid maybe) as evidenced by the Seattle game. Reminds me of Torrance Marshall.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Abdul Hodge Gone

He started 1 game last year. The opposing team had huge rushing numbers. He isnt that good.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He was slow last year before he had tendonitis and showed no instincts for the most part (football stupid maybe) as evidenced by the Seattle game.

...in which he had 6 tackles and a fumble recovery for a touchdown. I'm not saying he's the greatest linebacker ever. He's not. He was spectacular in college, but not as good in the NFL. The tendonitis started his senior year at Iowa. I see your point, but your original post seemed more like an insult than an actual point. I like the guy. I'll just agree to disagree.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

TOPackerFan said:
He was slow last year before he had tendonitis and showed no instincts for the most part (football stupid maybe) as evidenced by the Seattle game.

...in which he had 6 tackles and a fumble recovery for a touchdown. I'm not saying he's the greatest linebacker ever. He's not. He was spectacular in college, but not as good in the NFL. The tendonitis started his senior year at Iowa. I see your point, but your original post seemed more like an insult than an actual point. I like the guy. I'll just agree to disagree.

...and in which the Seahawks had over 200 yards rushing (including 201 by Shaun Alexander).

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score

nathaniel said:
TOPackerFan said:

...and in which the Seahawks had over 200 yards rushing (including 201 by Shaun Alexander).

Yeah, I forgot that Hodge was the only guy in a Packers uniform on defense that game.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Abdul Hodge Gone

Seattle game last year??

That was the game that they ran EVERY freaking play to KGB side cept for one play..

but blame it all on Hodge

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What happened to this guy. Last year he looked like the real deal. He looks awful so far this year.

Could you please quit saying that players are "gone" in your headlines? Hodge is not gone. He's still on the team. You fooled me for a second.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Abdul Hodge Gone

This is the last thing I'm gonna say about Hodge, because for some reason I get in trouble when I defend him in here.

I watched Hodge dominate at LB for 4 years at Iowa. The combination of him and Chad Greenway was probably one of the best, if not THE best, combos we ever had. I am not going to sit here and say that we HAVE to keep Hodge. I know that Bishop should get the back up job. But having watched Hodge for so long, and knowing what he's capable of, I think it's something other than him being "slow and stupid". He read plays quickly in college and was in on almost every play. The NFL is a different game, but I can't help but have a little confidence in him. Is it wrong to root for the guy?

Longtimetimefan is right, too. They ran maybe 5 plays up the middle that game.

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Abdul Hodge Gone

Sorry about that, I just think he'll be gone. He's slow, doesn't react well, and doesn't look at all like I thought he could be. It could be because of the tendonitus, but he's not going to make this team in my opinion unless he improves a lot.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sorry about that, I just think he'll be gone. He's slow, doesn't react well, and doesn't look at all like I thought he could be. It could be because of the tendonitus, but he's not going to make this team in my opinion unless he improves a lot.

No need to be sorry. Hodge isn't our best option. It's not the worst problem to have. Bishop looks great, plus his dad can be the head cheerleader. Haha! He was on his feet the whole time, dancing and yelling.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Abdul Hodge Gone

after that hit from Desmond Bishop... im not so sure im worried about Hodge.

all though it would be terribly disappointing to lose his nickname.

MM : DONT CUT THE BUTCHER

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I didn't see the game last night, however I think it would be wise to hold onto Hodge by placing on IR. Let him get right and make a run @ 08. It isn't like we have outstanding depth at LB after the first 4 or 5.

"The Butcher" showed he could play last year and can bring the lumber. Let him get his knees right...

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't see the game last night, however I think it would be wise to hold onto Hodge by placing on IR. Let him get right and make a run @ 08. It isn't like we have outstanding depth at LB after the first 4 or 5.

"The Butcher" showed he could play last year and can bring the lumber. Let him get his knees right...

I agree. Stick him on IR. He has bad knees and it's hard to play with tendinitis in one knee. He's playing with TWO bad knees. He looked good against Seattle like everyone else but he has been lost out there. Stick him on IR and let him heal up and come to camp next year.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

longtimefan said:
That was the game that they ran EVERY freaking play to KGB side cept for one play..

ain't gonna be doing that with Jenkins there now! :D

and if not mistaken, the very next week is when the coaches did the switching up with KGB and Jenkins

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think that the future has Hodge in the middle with Barnett and Hawk playing on both sides.

If Hodge can produce with Chad Greenway, he'll kill with Hawk/Barnett.

His knees are bad. They'll heal.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score

"I don't think we are in Kansas/Iowa any more Toto/Abdul

Iowa is a long way from the NFL. Most college MLB do not make it in the NFL and Abdul Hodge will never be a starter in the NFL.

BTW in the game he did start they ran by him frequently and he never even got close to the play. Alexander ran between the tackles all night long.

Alexander carried the ball 21 times in the second half, Hodge didn't have a single tackle, not even an assist.

Ask yourself - how is that possible for a middle linebacker in the NFL??? I have never seen a worse 2nd half performance by a middle linebacker at any level of football.

Making things worse, in the first half (Abdul's better [sic] half) Shaun carried it an additional 19 times and our young middle linebacker didn't have a single tackle, not even an assist, within five yards of the line of scrimmage.

Hodge deserves props for alertly running untouch to the endzone when KGB popped the ball right into his gut, but that is the only highlight in an otherwise horrible debut.

This is the last thing I'm gonna say about Hodge, because for some reason I get in trouble when I defend him in here.

I watched Hodge dominate at LB for 4 years at Iowa. The combination of him and Chad Greenway was probably one of the best, if not THE best, combos we ever had. I am not going to sit here and say that we HAVE to keep Hodge. I know that Bishop should get the back up job. But having watched Hodge for so long, and knowing what he's capable of, I think it's something other than him being "slow and stupid". He read plays quickly in college and was in on almost every play. The NFL is a different game, but I can't help but have a little confidence in him. Is it wrong to root for the guy?

Longtimetimefan is right, too. They ran maybe 5 plays up the middle that game.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Surprise.. nope... in the Packer Insider from Packersnews.com

Linebacker Abdul Hodge, who sat out the second straight day with patellar tendinitis in his knees, could be placed on injured reserve, McCarthy said. He is scheduled to get a second opinion this week.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts