Aaron Rodgers update

Status
Not open for further replies.

bear7625

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers will not agree to sit if he is cleared to play. With or without him the Packer organization needs to find out who wants to coach and who wants to play! If anybody has given up, they don't belong on roster!

sundown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say Play Aaron only if he is 100 per/cent healthy otherwise forget it.from what I have read that is not likely to be the case for at least 2 more weeks .

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This season is lost. The defense is putrid. The offensive line is banged up. Special teams vary between not very good and truly awful (with the exception of Masthay, who has done well, and Crosby, who has done okay.) They have lost at home to mediocre teams. They have lost on the road to worse than mediocre teams. Key skills players (Cobb, Findley) are out. The coaching is questionable at best.

I'm sure Rodgers wants to play, but I think it's pointless to put him out there. If they have to put Newhouse in the game the line goes from bad to a positive death trap for quarterbacks.

If I were McCarthy here's how I'd manage it: if the offensive line is able to field five guys not named Newhouse I'd let Rodgers play (assuming he has FULLY healed from the collarbone.) The minute an injury forces Newhouse in the game out goes Rodgers and in comes Flynn or Tolzein or a stuffed polar bear, or Tebow. The stuffed bear would be less likely to throw interceptions and wouldn't get injured while being sacked, btw.

If I were a ticket holder I'd want Rodgers back for the home games just so I didn't feel like I had p*ssed my money away. But not if they can't protect him adequately.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'd rather he didn't play. for me there's no playing for pride. it's playoffs or bust, and if we're not going to the playoffs i'd rather protect our 100 million dollar investment.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This season is lost. The defense is putrid. The offensive line is banged up. Special teams vary between not very good and truly awful (with the exception of Masthay, who has done well, and Crosby, who has done okay.) They have lost at home to mediocre teams. They have lost on the road to worse than mediocre teams. Key skills players (Cobb, Findley) are out. The coaching is questionable at best.

I'm sure Rodgers wants to play, but I think it's pointless to put him out there. If they have to put Newhouse in the game the line goes from bad to a positive death trap for quarterbacks.

If I were McCarthy here's how I'd manage it: if the offensive line is able to field five guys not named Newhouse I'd let Rodgers play (assuming he has FULLY healed from the collarbone.) The minute an injury forces Newhouse in the game out goes Rodgers and in comes Flynn or Tolzein or a stuffed polar bear, or Tebow. The stuffed bear would be less likely to throw interceptions and wouldn't get injured while being sacked, btw.

If I were a ticket holder I'd want Rodgers back for the home games just so I didn't feel like I had p*ssed my money away. But not if they can't protect him adequately.
I disagree.
We should put in a live polar bear instead.
Cover the football with lard. Touchdown every time. Guaranteed.
D-fence player #1: Uh, you get that ball.
#2 No you do it.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is going to play when he is cleared.
Which I think is a good idea.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since nobody here knows the true extent of the fracture, it's purely guessing to predict his return. As Forget Favre says, he'll play when he's released to play, but I suspect it will be in 2014.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since nobody here knows the true extent of the fracture, it's purely guessing to predict his return. As Forget Favre says, he'll play when he's released to play, but I suspect it will be in 2014.
Ya mean in the Super Bowl?
Awright! :D

Last edited:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I'm not upset about this season with the injury to Aaron. We've been spoiled for the past 20 years with some great QB leadership. But deep in our hearts (at least mine) we knew we were only one injury away from a tough season. But that's nothing of which to be ashamed. The days of having guys like Hornung and Bratkowski to back up your star QB are long gone. So I hope Aaron takes the time to heal well and gives us some more years of watching fantastic quarterbacking.

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Good point Croak. Without salary cap considerations, Drew Brees would be our backup, hahaha...

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
We have been spoiled on two fronts. 20+ years of an elite QB. 15+ years of an iron man QB. For those that wanted to pick one QB over the other, if nothing else, playing every game for 15 years has a value that we know know is priceless.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT didn't ignore it. He went through Coleman, Harrell, Young, Wallace, Tolzein, Flynn, and Matt Brown looking for a solid back up.

Not ignoring the position at all.

Yooperpackfan
Wow! Just two more names added to that list and you've got a baseball line up. Brutal!

Any more "Tom Matte" clones available?

Alright, then which all-pro QB just waiting for a team should he have picked up? He handled the back up position just like the Packers have for 20 years and just like almost all teams do.

Reaction score
Yooperpackfan

Alright, then which all-pro QB just waiting for a team should he have picked up? He handled the back up position just like the Packers have for 20 years and just like almost all teams do.

Of course there were NONE out there available! Not saying he handled it incorrectly at all, either. That is the only thing you can do in hope of finding a diamond in the rough when you give these backups a "go." Just didn't work out for us, but not having a capable OL that could give any of those QB time sure didn't help any of their chances to succeed. I really had high hopes for Harrell, but man, was I wrong on that one.

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
Yooperpackfan

I had no idea that the Packers and "almost all teams" obtain their back up QB 6 games before the season begins.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
If Rodgers is cleared to play he will play because he is the starting QB. No team tries to lose games for the sake of draft picks and our team shouldn't sully themselves by trying it either.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers is cleared to play he will play because he is the starting QB. No team tries to lose games for the sake of draft picks and our team shouldn't sully themselves by trying it either.
The goal is to give game experience to a developing backup. I've said it before in other threads and I'll say it here too: The goal of that mindset, at least for me, is not to shoot for draft picks they are but a byproduct. No one is sullying anything; jeez. Without AR I would expect to lose the rest of the season. But I wouldn't object to being pleasantly surprised either.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
The goal of that mindset, at least for me, is not to shoot for draft picks they are but a byproduct. No one is sullying anything; jeez.
To be clear I didn't say sitting Rodgers is sullying the team, I said sitting Rodgers in order to try and intentionally lose a game in order get a higher draft pick next season is sullying the team.

In regard to developing a backup, I believe that's what pre-season is for, plus the backups will have had 5-6 games between them to get reps in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts