Aaron Rodgers Job in Danger...new QB prospect?

BrettPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys,

I've been hearing a lot about Carson Coffman...he has been moving up Mel Kipers draft board as a sleeper, potentially a 2nd to late 1st round pick!!! Check out this highlight and tell me what you think? Looks like he has a strong arm and and some poise and moxie in the pocket. Scouts have been talking about how smart of a player he is and what an exceptional leader he became over his junior and senior seasons. Would love to see him in packers green and yellow green and yellow green and yellow....:viksux:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBhDDIfhlm8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBhDDIfhlm8[/ame]

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
If we take a QB before round, oh let's say 4, I'll drive to Green Bay and hit Theodore over the head with the Lombardi Trophy he just won.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Highlight films ALWAYS make the prospect look good. I'm more interested to see his entire body of work, not just some cut together pieces of film whose sole purpose is to make sure the prospect looks his best.

That said, I agree with the above poster- Rodgers isn't going anywhere, and we're not drafting a QB this year. In fact, I can't believe you'd create a thread suggesting Rodgers job is in danger. He's a Super Bowl MVP QB with the best passer rating in NFL history. Plus we have 2 other QB's on the roster behind him. We're not taking another QB this year..

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We might draft one if we think Flynn might get a good deal to be traded. But not in the first 4 rounds for sure.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
If there is anything that is "in danger" it would have to be your sanity (or your knowledge of football) BrettPacker. Surely this is not a serious thread.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We might draft one if we think Flynn might get a good deal to be traded. But not in the first 4 rounds for sure.

I wouldn't expect us to trade Flynn this year. We have no idea when we're going to get back to football, so this off-season, training camp, etc is going to be cut short. In fact, it's already been cut short as Mike McCarthy normally holds his QB school by now. Since he can't have contact with the players, it's likely his QB school won't happen. The off-season program is absolutely crucial for rookies, especially rookie QB's. Trading Flynn is taking an awful big gamble that Harrell is the guy, but he's still too new.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh Lord have mercy on our souls!!! Don't jinx us all!!! Coffman is an excellent QB and he'd make somebody a nice starter to build around but for the love of all things Aaron Rodgers be careful what you say! I can't see for the lives of me why in the hell they would want to draft a new QB when we already have Aaron and Flynn. That sounds like a recipe for a quarterback controversy.

But perhaps BrettPacker is onto something, this does bring up an interesting question in terms of needing/ drafting QBs. It came up during the season when Aaron missed a few games with the concussion and we thought Flynn might be injured. Who is our 3rd string QB. It doesn't hurt to have 3 QBs, I'm not saying the 3rd string should be Coffman, that's too much, but I'm just saying. I don't know if we need to draft one, but as last year proved, we always need to be prepared for the unexpected. I do however think it's something we should be looking into in the future.

In the meantime, for the love of God, keep Aaron as our starter!!!

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasn't Crosby our third stringer? I'm sure he has some mad skills at the QB position.

Negative. Green_Bay_Packers will bust one if he hears you say that. We do have a 3rd stringer, but I forget who it is. Whoever it is, I don't think it wise to have him as our 3rd stringer.

Now back to the original question of this thread, Coffman. If Flynn gets traded, and to be honest, I think that is a likely possibility, we are going to need a SOLID backup at least if not a 3rd stringer. Lets consider Coffman replacing Flynn, NOT AARON, (*hold your fire, I come in peace!). I have to say this might not be a bad idea. If we keep Flynn, all bets are off, but I do see Coffman making one hell of a backup, a starter down the road under Aaron's wing.

So, hypothetically, now we have Aaron as starter, Flynn(?) or Coffman(?) as backup. Who would make a good 3rd string without upsetting the delicate balance of QB world?

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Just kidding Kitten, but I seem to recall that there was some discussion of this when Rodgers went down in the Lions game and what would happen if Flynn and Harrell were injured. As I recall, someone indicated that it would be Mason Crosby to the rescue. I'm assuming that was tongue in cheek, but it made for good forum fodder so I thought I would revive it.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just kidding Kitten, but I seem to recall that there was some discussion of this when Rodgers went down in the Lions game and what would happen if Flynn and Harrell were injured. As I recall, someone indicated that it would be Mason Crosby to the rescue. I'm assuming that was tongue in cheek, but it made for good forum fodder so I thought I would revive it.

I was one of the ones asking who the 3rd stringer was after that Lions game. I bring it up now because I think it still relevant. However the more pressing concern is the backup QB. Now this hinges on Flynn's status, but say we trade Flynn, should we go for Coffman as our backup QB? I think if Flynn is traded, one of our first priories should be a backup QB and I honestly don't think Coffman is a bad idea.

tstej

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a guy who has seen Coffman play quite a bit, I do not want him on the team. Graham Harrel would be a much better option. K-State was a running football team and had they had a better qb they would have been quite a bit better.

Members online

Latest posts