Aaron Rodgers contract

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regarding Hawk's comment, once you get up in the hundreds of millions, it all becomes a blur. A billion, yeah, that will probably need to wait a generation or so - but it will happen, maybe in my lifetime - and I'm 65 (I'm gonna live to 120+ hahaha).

I certainly don't blame Flacco for getting all he could get. I look down on Brady for allegedly taking less for the team or whatever. Aaron Rodgers not only is way better than Flacco, though; He is way better than Brees and Peyton Manning as he plays now. Ironic that people blame Flacco for affecting the market contract value for QBs, but they dismiss my more than half serious suggestion that possibly the Packers might intentionally expand that market value to make cap decisions more difficult for other teams.

H

HardRightEdge

Regarding Hawk's comment, once you get up in the hundreds of millions, it all becomes a blur. A billion, yeah, that will probably need to wait a generation or so - but it will happen, maybe in my lifetime - and I'm 65 (I'm gonna live to 120+ hahaha).

I certainly don't blame Flacco for getting all he could get. I look down on Brady for allegedly taking less for the team or whatever. Aaron Rodgers not only is way better than Flacco, though; He is way better than Brees and Peyton Manning as he plays now. Ironic that people blame Flacco for affecting the market contract value for QBs, but they regadismiss my more than half serious suggestion that possibly the Packers might intentionally expand that market value to make cap decisions more difficult for other teams.

Regarding Hawk's comment, it was to illustrate that even players can be clueless. If he thinks the "billion" Rodgers will get does not affect the "minions", he's kidding himself.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I look down on Brady for allegedly taking less for the team or whatever.
I don't get this at all. I don't think calling players greedy for maximizing their contracts makes sense either but why look down on a player who is a multi-millionaire many times over (and married to an even richer woman) who wants to leave some money and cap space on the table for other acquisitions? Perhaps his priority truly is winning another championship or two and he's putting his money where his mouth is?

One billion dollars is $1,000 millions so there is a ways to go before player contracts reach that level. For example Flacco's deal is the richest to date and league revenues are about $9B/year. For that ratio to remain about the same, league revenues would have to reach about $75B/year before a player would reach the $1B mark. That’s more than 8 times current revenues. And we really should be considering guaranteed money and likely to be earned money instead of total contract dollars.

The only way I can see that happening during texaspackerbacker’s life expectancy is if we experience the kind of hyper-inflation Germany did in the 1920s or Greece and Hungary did near and at the end of WWII, in which prices doubled in numbers of days. Or Argentina and Zimbabwe more recently. If that happens the last thing we’ll be worrying about is the compensation of NFL players – as we wheel-barrel cash to the grocery store. BTW as we print about $1T per year and borrow another $1T annually, keep in mind one trillion dollars is a million million. After a while, even for the richest nation in history, that’s real money.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree.."look down" on Brady? First of all, Brady didn't take "less". He took guaranteed money to help the team with the cap now. I can't understand looking down on him for that. Brady is a 13 year veteran with more money than he could ever know what to do with. He's won 3 SB's but hasn't won one in 9 years, and is entering the last few years of his career. As far as I'm concerned he can do what he pleases with his contract negotiations, he's certainly earned that right. Would you "look down" on Rodgers in 7 years if he was in the exact same situation and wanted to give us some extra flexibility now to help us in free agency?

Not that I look down on Flacco for it. Right place right time, but I still think the Ravens made a very foolish investment -- yet without really having much of a choice.

Also, you keep saying Rodgers is "way" better than Peyton Manning or Drew Brees, I disagree. I think he's better, but you make it sound like the disparity between them is extreme. Rodgers, Manning, Brees, Brady, those are all Tier 1 quarterbacks, I think we can all agree. There's no huge gap between the 4 of them in current production and ability.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get this at all. I don't think calling players greedy for maximizing their contracts makes sense either but why look down on a player who is a multi-millionaire many times over (and married to an even richer woman) who wants to leave some money and cap space on the table for other acquisitions? Perhaps his priority truly is winning another championship or two and he's putting his money where his mouth is?

One billion dollars is $1,000 millions so there is a ways to go before player contracts reach that level. For example Flacco's deal is the richest to date and league revenues are about $9B/year. For that ratio to remain about the same, league revenues would have to reach about $75B/year before a player would reach the $1B mark. That’s more than 8 times current revenues. And we really should be considering guaranteed money and likely to be earned money instead of total contract dollars.

The only way I can see that happening during texaspackerbacker’s life expectancy is if we experience the kind of hyper-inflation Germany did in the 1920s or Greece and Hungary did near and at the end of WWII, in which prices doubled in numbers of days. Or Argentina and Zimbabwe more recently. If that happens the last thing we’ll be worrying about is the compensation of NFL players – as we wheel-barrel cash to the grocery store. BTW as we print about $1T per year and borrow another $1T annually, keep in mind one trillion dollars is a million million. After a while, even for the richest nation in history, that’s real money.

Aaron Rodgers could easily get a $200 million + contract. A billion is 5 times that. $200 million is 5 times $40 million. How many years ago did $40 million first happen? I would guess 20-30 years - I'll leave it to somebody else to look it up - I'm old hahahaha. Or if you prefer to go with the 8 times as much model, that might take 30-40 years - how far back do we have to go to when $1 million + seemed like a lot? 30-40 seems about right. I'll discuss it with ya'all then when I'm about a hundred hahaha.

About Brady, I can't say exactly why, but something just rubs me the wrong way about that. Arguably, the Pats are skewing/cheating the cap system by taking advantage of that circumstance - the rich wife and all. What if Aaron Rodgers won the PowerBall and was willing to play for nothing? that would give the Packers a competitive advantage, and the league would probably come up with some sort of **** to regulate it.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Moment of truth now. It is April 14th and he wanted to have the contract signed by the 15th. Will it happen today, or tomorrow?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers could easily get a $200 million + contract. A billion is 5 times that. $200 million is 5 times $40 million. How many years ago did $40 million first happen? I would guess 20-30 years - I'll leave it to somebody else to look it up - I'm old hahahaha. Or if you prefer to go with the 8 times as much model, that might take 30-40 years - how far back do we have to go to when $1 million + seemed like a lot? 30-40 seems about right. I'll discuss it with ya'all then when I'm about a hundred hahaha.

About Brady, I can't say exactly why, but something just rubs me the wrong way about that. Arguably, the Pats are skewing/cheating the cap system by taking advantage of that circumstance - the rich wife and all. What if Aaron Rodgers won the PowerBall and was willing to play for nothing? that would give the Packers a competitive advantage, and the league would probably come up with some sort of **** to regulate it.

The richest contract in NFL history as of this very moment is $132M. So to say that Rodgers could "easily" get $200M I think is still a bit premature.

As far as Brady, again, to me what kind of contract he's looking for is his business and the Patriots, not ours. Peyton Manning has enough money than he'd ever know what to do with too when you consider salary and investments. Who is to say what is "enough" money? No one is going to start playing for free, nor would Rodgers if he won the Powerball.

What Brady did has been done many times before, even by Favre. Brady is not playing for the minimum salary or taking less because his wife is loaded. He received up to $57M in new guarantees with this contract. He simply helped the team out with the cap now. Not the first time, won't be the last. The NFL shouldn't and wouldn't interfere with that. If they did, you may as well having them start assigning contracts themselves based on a formula.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The richest contract in NFL history as of this very moment is $132M. So to say that Rodgers could "easily" get $200M I think is still a bit premature.

As far as Brady, again, to me what kind of contract he's looking for is his business and the Patriots, not ours. Peyton Manning has enough money than he'd ever know what to do with too when you consider salary and investments. Who is to say what is "enough" money? No one is going to start playing for free, nor would Rodgers if he won the Powerball.

What Brady did has been done many times before, even by Favre. Brady is not playing for the minimum salary or taking less because his wife is loaded. He received up to $57M in new guarantees with this contract. He simply helped the team out with the cap now. Not the first time, won't be the last. The NFL shouldn't and wouldn't interfere with that. If they did, you may as well having them start assigning contracts themselves based on a formula.

I was just using the Powerball example as a more extreme version of the same thing. As I understand, Brady did NOT just do like Favre and others - restructuring to guaranteed money for the cap benefit to the team. Brady, according to what I heard (show me if I'm wrong), actually took a lesser amount. Yeah, it's Brady's business - he can do what he damn well pleases. I'm just saying I personally don't like it. I don't have any particular respect for him trying to give his team an advantage that way. Just a little bit more extreme of the same and they'd need to regulate it.

The reason I say $200 million + is very possible is that the Rodgers contract SHOULD be long term. (see my $231 million for 10 years model in an earlier post). It is advantageous to the team to stretch it out like that, cap-wise, and it is beneficial to Rodgers both in terms of prestige and real financial security - having a contract for the big amounts in the later years even if it isn't guaranteed, as he would receive it unless the team was willing to cut him - very unlikely if he is still at or near the top of his game.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is so good if we can just keep his contract affordable and him healthy we'll be competitive every year. Great day in Packers history.

Also happens to be the exact same day 23 teams passed on him when the Pack snagged him. Now he's the highest paid player in NFL history. Ironic.

Pacal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tom Silverstein says it's 5 years, $110 million.

Rodgers would be 35 at the beginning of his last contract year and 36 when it's over.

Tom Brady is 35 now, and turning 36 before the season begins.

And Peyton Manning is 37.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow! How can he be the highest paid player in NFL history, and still seem like a bargain? (it will seem really cheap in a few years though)

Mr. Rodgers, Congrats! You have earned every penny. Very glad and proud you will be a Packer the rest of this decade!

Rodgers_Forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holy Christ on a *******, batman! What a steal for TT this is. Since it's an extension, Rodgers is only going to average 18 million over the next 7 years with 40 million front-loaded into the first year...no wonder TT didn't do jack in free agency. Brilliant, brilliant move!

-From Rotoworld
"Packers signed QB Aaron Rodgers to a five-year, $110 million extension through 2019.
The front-loaded deal pays Rodgers $40 million in the first season, which explains why GM Ted Thompson was so conservative with his 2013 cap. It's a savvy deal by Thompson, and we've come to expect nothing less. Rodgers is now under control through his age-35 season. Theoretically, he can hit free agency in 2020 at age 36. Because Rodgers had two relatively cheap years remaining on his old deal, the new contract is actually worth $130.75 million over seven seasons, for an annual average of $18.68 million; Joe Flacco received an annual average of $20.1 million. The Rodgers deal is widely being pumped up as the richest in NFL history, but in actuality it's very much not. Another steal by Thompson."

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
YES!!! We knew this was coming but it's great to see something finalized. Rodgers is arguably one of the best elite QBs in the league. We are lucky to have him!

I made this thread a stick and official as I anticipate more threads to be created on this topic.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers could easily get a $200 million + contract.
Thank goodness Thompson and Ball are in charge of the negotiations and not you. (Even you should agree with that!) $200M made no sense but there was no convincing you - now there's no need to convince you as we have the numbers.

Congrats to Aaron for being so reasonable. By any measure, although he's the highest paid player in the league, he didn't insist on a huge difference between his deal and the next richest.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What made this deal so much better than the other recent elite quarterback deals was how early we got it done. Flacco & Brees contracts were expired and Peyton was a FA. Aaron wanted security and we got him cheaper for it. Never having to pay more than 21 million a year is also huge.

Now let's get him some more weapons tonight!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts