Aaron Kampman Is Now A Jaguar

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
You guys must have missed this

"Kampman never took to the new 3-4 defense of Packers coordinator Dom Capers, and his relationship with a team and a defense where he had been a leader on and off the field took a downward turn. Previously an eternally positive force in the locker room, Kampman’s position switch robbed him of enthusiasm as he took an indifferent approach to the position change that did not sit well with the Packer coaches." - Andrew Brandt

Aaron Kampman is a wanted man | National Football Post

Yep....must have missed that

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a feeling I may end up paying a little more attention to some Jaguar games this season...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he didn't sign because of the 3-4 we'll never know.

What we do know is that Jacksonville's offer is much bigger than the Packers' one...

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So with the finality of Kampman signing with another team was the switch to the 3-4 worth it? Kampmans skills and leadership will be sorely missed, I think we defiantly saw it in the Steelers and Cardinal games already last year. It will be interesting to watch Mathews to see if he continues to be as productive in his second year, as now other teams will be game planning for him with a year of tape.

IMO we are not as far along with this defense as everyone thinks, gaining Mathews and losing Kampman we really have not gained anything, IMO next season comes down to how well Capers coaches, getting more from our current talent pool.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
So with the finality of Kampman signing with another team was the switch to the 3-4 worth it? Kampmans skills and leadership will be sorely missed, I think we defiantly saw it in the Steelers and Cardinal games already last year. It will be interesting to watch Mathews to see if he continues to be as productive in his second year, as now other teams will be game planning for him with a year of tape.

IMO we are not as far along with this defense as everyone thinks, gaining Mathews and losing Kampman we really have not gained anything, IMO next season comes down to how well Capers coaches, getting more from our current talent pool.

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that I was impressed with how much BETTER our defense was last year than it was the year before. Surely you have to have noticed that. Kampman doesn't fit in with our new system, so he had to go. We should have traded him right away. With Harris and Blackmon back and hopefully one or two more solid pieces added in the backfield and at linebacker we could have one the best defenses in the NFC. I'm not worried.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that I was impressed with how much BETTER our defense was last year than it was the year before. Surely you have to have noticed that. Kampman doesn't fit in with our new system, so he had to go. We should have traded him right away. With Harris and Blackmon back and hopefully one or two more solid pieces added in the backfield and at linebacker we could have one the best defenses in the NFC. I'm not worried.

I am not denying that the defense improved from the 2008 defensive squad, but its not a given that the 2008 4-3 defense with a new coach and draft class would not have also improved. IMO the 2009 defense (3-4) was great against the run, but woefully inadequate at times against the pass.

The data of the 2009 defense (not the final stats) are night and day at times, I believe more of a reflection of playing so many teams with losing records. The Dallas and Ravens games had the advantage of home field and pure heart and determination, not so much the technical scheme of the 3-4.

It would not surprise me if our defense either starts slow in 2010, or has a repeat of a 2008 performance as we make this transition.
IMO the continued growth and success of this defense rests with the LBs. We are not returning 4 or 5 year veterans with solid performances in this new scheme. I have high hopes for Mathews, but the possibility of a sophomore slump exists, Hawk/Chillar/Bishop had their issues last year and we are looking at a rookie or Brad Jones with only Poppinga as a back up.
Not only did Kampman not make the transition but Thompson and Poppinga don’t look like true OLBs either, considering a 7th round rookie beat them out.

I view the LBs as more important than the secondary, in a 3-4 defense they are key in stopping the run and pass, no matter who is playing in our secondary. We are on shaky ground with our LBs, even if Barnett and Mathews play well.

My prediction, unless the draft or free agents change my mind, our defense will struggle next year.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With everyone but Kampman returning and getting Harris and Blackmon back.....why would our defense take a step backwards?

Harder schedule and more performances like the Steelers and Cardinals. Hawk continues to get slower, Jolly on a 4 game suspension, Harris will be lucky to be the starter week 8.

I think the Playoff game against the Cardinals sums it up, it looked like we went back into time, back to the 2008 defense, offense doing well putting points on the board, yet the defense can't stop any body.

I can't buy the argument that the Cardinal game was a mental let down or a god like performance by Warner, the Steelers weeks before ran and passed for 500 yards also.

IMO the new 3-4 defense looked good statically early, but late in the season showed some serious deficiencies against a quality opponent as they did earlier against the vikings and the Bengals.

I think this major step forward is much smaller than everyone thinks.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The data of the 2009 defense (not the final stats) are night and day at times, I believe more of a reflection of playing so many teams with losing records.

He's got a point. I also thought our stats this season were a bit inflated.

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you go that route about the 09 defense stats being like night and day, you have to account for the injuries like Harris and Kampman and lok at their replacements, JBush, Bell and some others. So I feel like in this case it could be a "what if". What if those guys didnt get hurt and we werent picking up and playing scrub D-Backs, would the stats be consistent instead of night and day???
Injuries in the secondary had alot to do with the play of the defense in 2009. I think overall it was a great Improvement.
As far as the AZ game, dont forget the Pack scored what 48 points against the cards D? That was an all out offensive game and both defenses were down and out.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much inflated as they were, our defense with all the starters is still a top-10 defense...

I'm not going to discuss the what-ifs of staying in the 4-3 again...

Me neither, I don't want to go back to discussing Vanilla Bob's 4-3. I was just trying to hint that maybe Dilligaff was right when looking back at our schedule. We didn't really face premier competition as opposed to the team above us, the jets.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Me neither, I don't want to go back to discussing Vanilla Bob's 4-3. I was just trying to hint that maybe Dilligaff was right when looking back at our schedule. We didn't really face premier competition as opposed to the team above us, the jets.
He completely misses the point that all of our players will be one season into the new scheme, also...

I agree that we'll face steep competition, that we still need help at the Defense, that the Defense was the reason we didn't go past AZ last year.

But we have a much better D than we had in 08, and even in 07...

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He completely misses the point that all of our players will be one season into the new scheme, also...

I agree that we'll face steep competition, that we still need help at the Defense, that the Defense was the reason we didn't go past AZ last year.

I agree with the 2008 defense, but that 2007 defense went to over time in the NFC Championship game, never giving up numbers in any game like the 2009 defense did twice.

I guess everyone is assuming we will make great improvements on defense this year as a given, I don't by that and that all our woes on defense were the secondarys fault. Bush did not help, but the true flaw on our defense was lack of pressure on the QB, which was no different when we played the vikings/Bengals earlier in the year healthy.

I don't agree calling our defense top 10, as a true fan I want to boast about it but I can't say that with a straight face with the performance against the Steelers and Cardianals.

The way I look at it we had 7 quality opponents last year, the rest were bad teams that we should have won with losing records. We went 2-5 against the better teams, ones above .500. How is that superior to the 2007 season??? Top 10 defense, if so our offense must be really bad. Something has to give, and that was our defense.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with the 2008 defense, but that 2007 defense went to over time in the NFC Championship game, never giving up numbers in any game like the 2009 defense did twice.

I guess everyone is assuming we will make great improvements on defense this year as a given, I don't by that and that all our woes on defense were the secondarys fault. Bush did not help, but the true flaw on our defense was lack of pressure on the QB, which was no different when we played the vikings/Bengals earlier in the year healthy.

I don't agree calling our defense top 10, as a true fan I want to boast about it but I can't say that with a straight face with the performance against the Steelers and Cardianals.

The way I look at it we had 7 quality opponents last year, the rest were bad teams that we should have won with losing records. We went 2-5 against the better teams, ones above .500. How is that superior to the 2007 season??? Top 10 defense, if so our offense must be really bad. Something has to give, and that was our defense.
Kurt Warner was 31/43, 377 yards, 3 tds and 1 int against the #1 Steelers in 08.

Early in the season, our team was getting used to the defense. Derrick Martin was our STARTING S.

Late in the season, the backup of the backup of the backup was playing CB. Pickett spent a lot of time injuried, so we didn't have rotation at DL.

How did our defense fare against the Cowboys, in a game that it was more used to the scheme, and that everybody was healthy???

Not a top 10 defense? Name 10 defenses better than ours...

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Kurt Warner was 31/43, 377 yards, 3 tds and 1 int against the #1 Steelers in 08.

Early in the season, our team was getting used to the defense. Derrick Martin was our STARTING S.

Late in the season, the backup of the backup of the backup was playing CB. Pickett spent a lot of time injuried, so we didn't have rotation at DL.

How did our defense fare against the Cowboys, in a game that it was more used to the scheme, and that everybody was healthy???

Not a top 10 defense? Name 10 defenses better than ours...

Well put. I was just going to bring up Kurt Warner's numbers against the best defense in football in the Super Bowl, but you beat me to it. Great points. I like our defense a lot this upcoming season.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last season we struggled against teams that had multiple options at WR, Pitt and AZ. If that trend continues the only trouble I see next season (I dont count Minn until I know the starting QB) is the eagles. Maybe the Giants if those young wrs develop. Redskins, Cowboys, Jets, Patriots, 49ers, Bills, Dolphins, Bears, and Lions dont have the personal to stretch our D like Pitt and AZ did. Not saying we couldnt lose any of those games, a la Bucs, but it was a trend I noticed in the 2nd half of the season. Thankfully there are few teams in the league we really have to worry about having that personal. I will just say 11-5 next season.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If Jolly & Cole were available against NYG in the '07 NFC Championship game the GB D-line rotation stays fresher & doesn't get pushed around as badly, Harris doesn't get burned as often by Burress 'cause the pressure doesn't allow Eli the time to find him & a Packers/Patriots SB rematch is a reality.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Jolly & Cole were available against NYG in the '07 NFC Championship game the GB D-line rotation stays fresher & doesn't get pushed around as badly, Harris doesn't get burned as often by Burress 'cause the pressure doesn't allow Eli the time to find him & a Packers/Patriots SB rematch is a reality.
I agree with that in part.

We didn't play the run as well as we did in 09, and that was a greater reason than Harris.

Though in the minute I blamed Harris for getting killed constantly, and Harris and Favre were the most blalant factors.

But if we play them with the 09 defense, considering they didn't have much weapons in the passing game, but were terrific in the running game, I believe we win that game.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score

I have to agree with this. Not having Jolly or Cole really hurt us down the stretch that season.

Members online

Latest posts