A Ray of Light !!!

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The two losses we had came against teams who are now 3-0. This is not a grasping at straws through Green and Gold glasses post but a simple fact.
Besides the fact that both those teams are 3-0:

The New Orleans Saints just ripped apart the Atlanta D today and held them to three points. We may have a long way to go but I think we might be a little better than it looks at the moment. Time will tell though !!!

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:
The two losses we had came against teams who are now 3-0. This is not a grasping at straws through Green and Gold glasses post but a simple fact.

The New Orleans Saints just ripped apart the Atlanta D today and held them to three points. We may have a long way to go but I think we might be a little better than it looks at the moment. Time will tell though !!!

The Saints looked pretty damn good.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:
WinnipegPackFan said:

The Saints looked pretty damn good.

Yes, and we lost better than the Falcons, if that's saying anything. ;)

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, Vick and Dunn were shut down. And the Falcons were supposed to be one of the premier NFC teams...

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gopackgo said:
I agree, Vick and Dunn were shut down. And the Falcons were supposed to be one of the premier NFC teams...

I think they still are. The Saints were just nuts on defense though.

It was like Jesus was making the tackles out there.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly, and we really should have beat the Saints if not for a Green fumble in the 4th qtr. and the unfortunate interception of Favre early in the 3rd qtr. when he got hit as he was throwing in the endzone. "Cough: Green Fumble" - "Cough: Saints touchdown"

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The saints played possessed because they were back in their own house, just like the packers tore apart Oakland the day after Favre's dad passed away. I still don’t think the Saints are a force to be reckoned with, not just yet anyway...

The team just came together for a bigger reason.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:

I was thinking the same thing....

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Saints are good end of story. As well as our O played on its home field and us still losing tell me that that team has some talent. Remember how everyone said how good we'd be if we got Bush, well it seems as though he's had that impact in NO.

sorry if this doesn't make sesne but I drank an entire bottle of wine and two martinis tonight.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the saints are decent...but ryan is correct...big emotion of the superdome return probably helped a lot...

if i'm not mistaken they beat up on carolina during the katrina last year, yet were 4-12 last year. They won't be 4-12 this year, but i doubt they're more than a playoff fringe team

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan said:
The saints played possessed because they were back in their own house, just like the packers tore apart Oakland the day after Favre's dad passed away. I still don’t think the Saints are a force to be reckoned with, not just yet anyway...

The team just came together for a bigger reason.

I agree with Ryan!!! We almost beat the Saints and should have beat the Saints, so what does that tell you?? A team that is now 3-0, we aren't as bad as people think we are..we just have to go out and win close games and make NO mistakes...

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heatherthepackgirl said:
..we just have to go out and win close games and make NO mistakes...

Just make the easy catches. Just DONT fumble the ball. Seems simple. Easier said than done i guess. Kurt Warner got benched for fumbling in key situations. The Cardinals have a chance to win with Warner throwing back there. They have NO chance to win with Leinart but they still benched Warner. They showed backbone by making him accountable for his mistakes. I think its time that we hold our guys accountable as well. It will send a message to the entire team that stupid mistakes will not be forgiven time and time again. At least bench him for one game. Then start him after that and if he still keeps fumbling like theres no tomorrow, just cut him.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holmgren dumped his but off5 or 6 years ago. Is Holmgren an idiot? I dont think so. Maybe we can trade him to a team for a decent solid running back who isnt as explosive but is still good.

YERCELL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's get a RB that's not as explosive, but hey, he's still good. I'm not saying anything about Ahman, but what kind of idea is that?

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahman is very explosive, but for which team??

His fumbles which turn opposition points is what i call explosive. Getting 80 - 90 yards per game is not what i call explosive. I mean he has had 1 above average game this year and it was in a game we lost 26 - 0 when the bears were in a pass defense mode. Easy to run the ball when the defense is in a Nickel or Dime package.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
flapackfan said:
Ahman is very explosive, but for which team??

His fumbles which turn opposition points is what i call explosive. Getting 80 - 90 yards per game is not what i call explosive. I mean he has had 1 above average game this year and it was in a game we lost 26 - 0 when the bears were in a pass defense mode. Easy to run the ball when the defense is in a Nickel or Dime package.

You are not acknowledging the fact that he plays a big part in the short passing game which teams must game plan for.

On Sunday he accounted for 131 yards which is not a bad days work. I don't put Green in the catagory of "explosive anyways. He goes in there and bangs away and when he catches it heads down hill for as many yards as he can get.

Explosive? Probably not. Effective, especially in this scheme? Yes.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I watched Zero's video, it seemed to me that Ahman is still getting his legs under him. I thought his jukes seemed a little less powerful and decieving than before his injury. Anybody else think this or am I just imagining it?
Hammer
Oh yeah, let me add that I still thought he really followed the blockers well and looked pretty good on those highlights.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
From what the guys in the booth were saying after the game, it seemed that getting around the outside is harder on him now...He just didnt seem to have the speed to do that like he used to...

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the o line plays a big part in makeing a running back successful.

the o line didnt really make any holes.

alaxander got alot of yard last year because of the o line.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I commented in another thread along the lines of where we stand and are we really as bad as some say or are there signs that might not be so?

We know that the teams that beat us are currently undefeated. Yes, our win is against the lowly Lions but they also gave Seattle all they wanted in a 9-6 loss and many have that team back in the SB this year.

So it's not like they are so bad they cannot compete.

Is our running game so woeful because we don't have the players or does the teams we have faced have something to do with it?

The Saints, Lions, and Bears are ranked 5th, 7th, and 8th against the run and in nine games collectively given up 100+ yards rushing ONCE. Packers vs. Bears.

Against the pass which is obviously the really big problem needing to get fixed the Bears, Saints, and Lions are 5th, 8th, and 9th in passing yards.

IMO cutting down on allowing the big play on defense is the only thing holding us back from being a team other teams won't want to play.

We've got their attention offensively.

The defensive backs and LB's have got to start getting it together. No better opportunity for improvement than Monday night. The Eagles are #1 in passing yards.

Hopefully the second half Sunday showed signs this is heading in the right direction. Detroit tried to hit the big play often but the guys were where they were supposed to be for once and didn't allow the receivers to get behind them on the deep patterns. Encouraging.

But they have to prove they can do it consistantly cause you know teams are going to go for the big play more often than they may normally would until we show it won't work.

Getting back to the theme of the thread I think the only area we are "bad" is in giving up the big play and that the teams we have played enter into some of the reasons we seem weak in areas like the running game.

So I see the ray of light and our running game becoming more proficient as the season moves along. I think Philly is like 15th against the run. Maybe getting a team outside the top ten will give us something to grin about in the running game.

And if we keep Philly under 5 or six big plays and none or one for touchdowns we win the game

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts