A New Reason Why Brett May Have Retired.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it possible that Brett knew that the best thing to do was to move forward because of how impressed he is with young Aaron?

Was that at all a minor factor in his decision? Would he have retired if there was no one that he felt was ready to step in?

Is it possible, that even after one of his best years last year, he said to himself... The "Kid's" time has come, he is ready, and I need not stand in his way?

Brett knows what it was like to be under pressure as a young high draft pick.

Of course he is not going to put the pressure on Aaron by announcing that Arron is ready. Getting that endorsement from Brett Favre would basically put Aaron in a glass bowl of media attention and expectations. The Packers as a team would not want to but that pressure on the kid.

But.... Could Brett knowing that Aaron is ready have been a factor in walking away from the game after one of his best years in the N.F.L.?

I do not know? I am asking all of you?

But if it is the case I shall sleep easier this evening.

R.P.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know Favre personally, but my personal guess is he was sick of all the crap that comes before and after the game. It's a lot of work being an NFL QB and I think he was burned out and decided he'd rather see his daughters grow up than deal with all that.

I'm sure when he saw Aaron developing though, it helped him sleep better knowing the Packers could continue their winning ways with Aaron. After all, Favre is a Packer fan as well as a Packer player.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For what it is worth R.P. I think you may be on to something. However, I think it was more like ... "Wow I see this kid play, as soon as everyone else does we have a QB controversy. I would rather fish."

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Is it possible that Brett knew that the best thing to do was to move forward because of how impressed he is with young Aaron?

Was that at all a minor factor in his decision? Would he have retired if there was no one that he felt was ready to step in?

Is it possible, that even after one of his best years last year, he said to himself... The "Kid's" time has come, he is ready, and I need not stand in his way?

Brett knows what it was like to be under pressure as a young high draft pick.

Of course he is not going to put the pressure on Aaron by announcing that Arron is ready. Getting that endorsement from Brett Favre would basically put Aaron in a glass bowl of media attention and expectations. The Packers as a team would not want to but that pressure on the kid.

But.... Could Brett knowing that Aaron is ready have been a factor in walking away from the game after one of his best years in the N.F.L.?

I do not know? I am asking all of you?

But if it is the case I shall sleep easier this evening.

R.P.

I've actually thought this same thing. Perhaps in the back of his mind somewhere that although he was still playing great, Aaron's motivation, dedication, young body, and young personality were overall a better fit for the team at this point. Yeah, he could come back and probably still play well, but perhaps time and his team have just moved past him a bit and that it was time to pass the torch on to the young guy on a young team that's not really going for any older guys.

You've got to think he at least acknowledged the thought and that Aaron might be more fair to his team since Favre was getting burnt out.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know Favre personally, but my personal guess is he was sick of all the crap that comes before and after the game. It's a lot of work being an NFL QB and I think he was burned out and decided he'd rather see his daughters grow up than deal with all that.

I'm sure when he saw Aaron developing though, it helped him sleep better knowing the Packers could continue their winning ways with Aaron. After all, Favre is a Packer fan as well as a Packer player.

I agree with your 1st part, and have to add..

I "THINK" dealing with front office choices past 3 years may not have led to the final decision, but it did irritate him to where he had some concerns

As far as Rodgers being ready highly doubt that HAd anything to do with it

OP
OP
R

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Exactly the point of the thread Zombie.

We all know WHY HE RETIRED, but the question I am asking is: "Is it posible the decision was HELPED ALONG by knowing Aaron was ready, and he could leave with some comfort about not leaving the Packers high and dry?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think R.P.'s theory could be true, but it is most likely a minor factor compared to Favre just getting worn out.

Also, it's not so much that Favre felt Rodgers was ready, it's that the Packer organization is ready for Rodgers to take over. I think Favre could sense that he is not as badly needed as he has been in the past, and yes, that may have contributed to his decision. The retirement of a great player is always a sad thing, but this was better than most.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

Exactly the point of the thread Zombie.

We all know WHY HE RETIRED, but the question I am asking is: "Is it posible the decision was HELPED ALONG by knowing Aaron was ready, and he could leave with some comfort about not leaving the Packers high and dry?

I hope it is.

We need an insider.

packedhouse

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This could be the most honorable thing Favre has done for this team, turn the reins over to AR because Favre has got this team to where it needs to be for a young QB to take over and succeed. (the future will only tell)

Another class act move by Brett Favre, although I would of loved it if he would of came back this year.

Vince_Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow.

If Rodgers tanks this year, a distinct possibility, there are going to be alot of dejected Packer fans around here. There is alot of hype about this Rodger's kid with very little to back it up, imo.

To answer your question. It is most decidedly a big no.

Favre didn't want to train or school Rodgers in how to be an NFL QB, and he's not going to retire because he thinks he's so great.

That is a wish fulfillment fantasy to the nth degree.

Brett retired because the Packers weren't doing anything to put this team over the top. He was disappointed because this team played like a bunch of rookies against the Giants, or in other words, as the young team that they truly are, and Favre knew that Thompson wasn't going to go out and improve this team by adding any veterans period.

It was time for him to move on because of this fact.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vince_Favre said:
Wow.

If Rodgers tanks this year, a distinct possibility, there are going to be alot of dejected Packer fans around here. There is alot of hype about this Rodger's kid with very little to back it up, imo.

To answer your question. It is most decidedly a big no.

Favre didn't want to train or school Rodgers in how to be an NFL QB, and he's not going to retire because he thinks he's so great.

That is a wish fulfillment fantasy to the nth degree.

Brett retired because the Packers weren't doing anything to put this team over the top. He was disappointed because this team played like a bunch of rookies against the Giants, or in other words, as the young team that they truly are, and Favre knew that Thompson wasn't going to go out and improve this team by adding any veterans period.

I was right there with you until you told us why Brett retired. Did you listen to his press conference? If you did, you obviously didn't believe a word he said.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the record, i think Rodgers will be fine. I am one of those "delusional" fans. perhaps not quite as "delusional" as Cal2GreenBay, but not too far off.

favre2driver

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That definetly played a role, but I don't think it's the whole reason. After all, wouldn't you be tired after 16 NFL seasons?

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Ted not being active in free agency did play a part in Brett's decision. Not a very big part, but it was a small factor I think. I don't think he would ever admit that publicly, because he wanted to go out with class.

As for him retiring because he thought Aaron was ready; I don't think thats the case. And to be bluntly honest, I think Brett cares more about whats best for Brett, than he does whats best for the Packers. As he should. Sure he wants to see the Packers do well, but I don't think the fact that the Packers had a good young QB like Aaron in the waiting made a difference either way. Brett retired because he just didn't want to deal with the pressure of being an NFL QB. I don't think he would have retired just so Aaron could get his shot. Brett has to do whats best for him and his family; as would Aaron.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I myself don't think A-Rod played into it at all. If Favre wasn't beat tired, he would have come back reguardless of who the #2 was.
If Craig Nall was next in line, i'm sure Favre's decision would have been the same. He did it all because he knew he couldn't do it anymore, period.
I'm sure he wants the Packers to still do well, but we have to remember, it was his JOB. We are fans, we have the love of "our" team. Now, i'm NOT saying that Favre doesn't love the Packers organization, what i mean is it was his employer, and he had a much different view of everything then we do. It's entertainment to us, to him it was his work.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Ted not being active in free agency did play a part in Brett's decision. Not a very big part, but it was a small factor I think. I don't think he would ever admit that publicly, because he wanted to go out with class.

As for him retiring because he thought Aaron was ready; I don't think thats the case. And to be bluntly honest, I think Brett cares more about whats best for Brett, than he does whats best for the Packers. As he should. Sure he wants to see the Packers do well, but I don't think the fact that the Packers had a good young QB like Aaron in the waiting made a difference either way. Brett retired because he just didn't want to deal with the pressure of being an NFL QB. I don't think he would have retired just so Aaron could get his shot. Brett has to do whats best for him and his family; as would Aaron.

I myself don't think A-Rod played into it at all. If Favre wasn't beat tired, he would have come back reguardless of who the #2 was.
If Craig Nall was next in line, i'm sure Favre's decision would have been the same. He did it all because he knew he couldn't do it anymore, period.
I'm sure he wants the Packers to still do well, but we have to remember, it was his JOB. We are fans, we have the love of "our" team. Now, i'm NOT saying that Favre doesn't love the Packers organization, what i mean is it was his employer, and he had a much different view of everything then we do. It's entertainment to us, to him it was his work.

Great minds think alike? :shock: (Waits for Vikesrule's reply) :lol:

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MidwestFavreFan said:

Great minds may think alike, but fools seldom differ! :rotflmao:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MidwestFavreFan said:
MidwestFavreFan said:

THAT explains why all Viking fans postings here are so much the same!!!
NOW i get it!!! :lol:

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MidwestFavreFan said:
MidwestFavreFan said:

Oh man! I was waiting big time for your reply, thinking fo shizzle you'd have a funny picture. Where's the funny picture?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vince_Favre said:

:sniffs you to try and detect familiar scent:

:D

Members online

Latest posts