A Need?? To Play A ROD

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey all first off this is not a blast on Brett. LOVE THE GUY

As a trucker I get the pleasure and sometimes the disdain of listening to SIRIUS satelite radio. There has been alot of talk that as the season wears on and the losses rack up that the Packers should play Rodgers.

I say why. Has Brett unequivicably stated that he is not playing next year. Has he requsted a trade?? No then why play Rodgers. Starting positions in my mind are earned and then lost.

Has Rodgers earned the right to start. Has he beat out Brett?? Many forget that Brett has maintained his position as starter because he was better than anyone else who came along. He has had some nice back ups who became starters elsewere

I would also like to point out that no rule says you have to start your 1st round draft pick??? And honestly A Rod fell into our laps as he fell on the draft boards.

So what I would like to say is until Brett hangs it up or is straight up beat out by A Rod why talk about it. It is a BS solution to a BS argument. A Rod is were he needs to be.

Oh and BTW I am a big critic when it comes to his play at times. He has not adapted well to a new consruct that his team is younger than he likes. But that is ok he is doing better as is the team. Bottom line is he is the best we got at that position.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i have such mixed feelings about this. while i agree that favre gives us the best chance of winning, i think at some point, they've got to let rodgers take some snaps. when? i have no idea. it's gonna be tough when it happens. :(

btw, shell - has your new addition to the family arrived yet?? :D

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as Brett is a Packer and healthy, he will start every game.

I can see A-rod getting some time late (although I don't think it's necessary), but nobody will put an end to Brett's streak while he is healthy.

OP
OP
J

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4packgirl said:
i have such mixed feelings about this. while i agree that favre gives us the best chance of winning, i think at some point, they've got to let rodgers take some snaps. when? i have no idea. it's gonna be tough when it happens. :(

btw, shell - has your new addition to the family arrived yet?? :D

OCT 17th just a few more days

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yay!! do you know what you're having yet?

sorry to take this off topic - please feel free to discuss a-rod, everyone else. ;)

OP
OP
J

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4packgirl said:
yay!! do you know what you're having yet?

sorry to take this off topic - please feel free to discuss a-rod, everyone else. ;)

We are having another girl. (Cant say name yet wife's rule) then again she doesnt check this site.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well let's be honest here, consider the fact that Favre is 5-16 in the last two seasons thus far. Does that indicate he gives us the best chance of winning?

Probably not, but the fact is that nobody has the balls to pull Brett Favre from the lineup, including Brett Favre himself. So it isn't going to happen regardless of how many games we lose this season. As long as Brett wants, he'll be the QB of the Green Bay Packers.

Sure, it's sad to see Brett go out this way after meaning so much to the organization over the last decade and a half. But until he realizes that his declining skills is one of the main reasons why this team can't win football games, not much is going to change in the current fortunes of the Packers organization.

OP
OP
J

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare regardless obviosly you did not read my stated points. I was not talking about the best chance to win I was refering to he is the best player at that position.

As Far as his declining skills naaaa not so much that as these teams cannot save him from himself like in the past. If A Rod beas him out fine let A Rod play. If not seee thee pine

And Brett is not the whole team therefore he himself is not 5 and 16.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:
Well let's be honest here, consider the fact that Favre is 5-16 in the last two seasons thus far. Does that indicate he gives us the best chance of winning?

Probably not, but the fact is that nobody has the balls to pull Brett Favre from the lineup, including Brett Favre himself. So it isn't going to happen regardless of how many games we lose this season. As long as Brett wants, he'll be the QB of the Green Bay Packers.

Sure, it's sad to see Brett go out this way after meaning so much to the organization over the last decade and a half. But until he realizes that his declining skills is one of the main reasons why this team can't win football games, not much is going to change in the current fortunes of the Packers organization.

Have you ever watched a football game?

sbp_387

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JbShell said:
Hey all first off this is not a blast on Brett. LOVE THE GUY

As a trucker I get the pleasure and sometimes the disdain of listening to SIRIUS satelite radio. There has been alot of talk that as the season wears on and the losses rack up that the Packers should play Rodgers.

I say why. Has Brett unequivicably stated that he is not playing next year. Has he requsted a trade?? No then why play Rodgers. Starting positions in my mind are earned and then lost.

Has Rodgers earned the right to start. Has he beat out Brett?? Many forget that Brett has maintained his position as starter because he was better than anyone else who came along. He has had some nice back ups who became starters elsewere

I would also like to point out that no rule says you have to start your 1st round draft pick??? And honestly A Rod fell into our laps as he fell on the draft boards.

So what I would like to say is until Brett hangs it up or is straight up beat out by A Rod why talk about it. It is a BS solution to a BS argument. A Rod is were he needs to be.

Oh and BTW I am a big critic when it comes to his play at times. He has not adapted well to a new consruct that his team is younger than he likes. But that is ok he is doing better as is the team. Bottom line is he is the best we got at that position.

the reason some people think that we should start a rod is if we are going to suck this season then we might as well give a rod some time to paly so we know if we need to look else where for another qb without wating for bret to retire and then wasting a season to see how good a rod is...

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:

I agree Lare. Could Favre probably win elsewhere? Yes but not with the Packers. Sooner or later Rodgers needs to get experience and start to grow as a QB. He can't do it on the bench.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Lare said:

I agree Lare. Could Favre probably win elsewhere? Yes but not with the Packers. Sooner or later Rodgers needs to get experience and start to grow as a QB. He can't do it on the bench.

Then maybe TT should have traded him to another team in the off season but he didn't. Since he didn't and since Brett is still our #1 QB; he starts and Rodgers learns from the bench unless we are getting blown out !!!

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky is right...if the time comes where this team is 2-8, the season would obviously be lost, and you might as well use a lost season to evaluate what needs to be replaced in the offseason.

With that said, and admitting that I'm a huge Favre critic, with the exception of his accuracy v. St. L, I think he's played fairly well this year, esp. in comparison to last season.

Bottom line, though, if brett is here, let him play, but if the season becomes a lost one, AR has to take some snaps somehow.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at the guys who backed up Brett in the past..

Mark Brunell
Ty Detmer
Matt Hasslebeck
Aaron Brooks
even Doug Peterson

Every one of these guys proved they could be an NFL QB playing in the pre-season!!! Some better than others but they all were wanted by other teams and Packer fans knew that if Brett went down they would be able to run the offense.
A-Rod showed a lot of improvement this past pre-season, If Brett retires or gets hurt I have confidence he can step in.

There is no reason to sit Brett, because the season isn't going well, unless he just can't cut it anymore, there are a few on this forum that thinks that is the case, but most Packer fans who watch the games know that Brett isn't what he was 10 yeaars ago, but with a supporting cast, he can still give us the best chance to win.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:

ITYM its the TEAM'S declining skills (starting with upper management) that is one of the main reasons this tean can't win a football game. One mam can't do it all, for better or for worse. However, it would be far easier to argue that TT (and MS before him) are the main reasons why this team is looking at two consecutive losing seasons.

You can bash Brett and his "declining skills" all you want. Just don't be practicing revisionist history once he's gone, and start crying the blues that our QB doesn't measure up to his standard.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anubis, where have you been? Your anti TT stance didn't get you suspended did it?

Anyway, I agree with you. Rodgers will get a series here or there in a blowout but unless Favre is injured these ungrateful Packer "fans" are going to have to put up with watching a first ballot hall of famer for a little longer. Life's a *****.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, can we 86 the "you're not a real packer fan if you say something that might be considered to be non-complimentary of Brett Favre" comments? He's 1/52 of the team for pete's sake!

Someone can blast brett to kingdom come...maybe they're right, maybe they're totally off their rocker, but it doesn't make them any less of a packer fan.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm not trying to be a mod, just voicing my frustration, depack. Sometimes the brett butt kissing gets old. I honestly think he's been having a pretty solid season, so I like seeing him at the helm, but I just think ppl take the Favre praise a little too far.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
i'm not trying to be a mod, just voicing my frustration, depack. Sometimes the brett butt kissing gets old. I honestly think he's been having a pretty solid season, so I like seeing him at the helm, but I just think ppl take the Favre praise a little too far.

So what? You don't think people should appreciate what he has done and continues to do. I get ripped as a nonfan or "negative nancy" if I don't agree with everything our GM does.

Personally, I get frustrated when people continuously rip Brett. To me he is above criticism. He has earned that. What do you want me to say?

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:

IMO, the TT is who is completely undeserving of praise, yet I get questioned as a fan whenever I point that out. Favre has accomplished many great things in the last 15 or so years (not the least of which was bringing home the Lombardi trophy), yet many people seem to want to bash him endlessly. TT on the other hand, has done exactly squat since coming to Green Bay yet many people here act like he walks on water.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anubis said:
musccy said:

IMO, the TT is who is completely undeserving of praise, yet I get questioned as a fan whenever I point that out. Favre has accomplished many great things in the last 15 or so years (not the least of which was bringing home the Lombardi trophy), yet many people seem to want to bash him endlessly. TT on the other hand, has done exactly squat since coming to Green Bay yet many people here act like he walks on water.

Yeah, TT , what a blessing he has been :roll:

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack, then I guess we agree to disagree...IMO, no matter what you've done in the past, I still feel that at the professional level it's "what have you done for me lately." Not that i'm saying brett, or whomever, haven't been getting it done, I'm just saying that's why i don't feel someone is above criticism. What Brett, Henderson...did in 1997 has little to no influence on what's happening in 2006.

I guess this whole "fan" think applies across the board. I don't know why it irks me, but I just think it's a very lame and juvenille comment to say someone's not a fan because they're dissatisfied w/ w/e TT, BF, Green, Woodson...is doing. If anything, I'd say you're more of a fan because you care that much and aren't satisfied.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts