A Multiple Part Look at the Packers Roster: QBs and RBs

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A Multiple Part Look at the Packers Roster: A Look in the Backfield…

Quarterback is perhaps the only position on offense with no suspense and no question marks.

Brett Favre is… well Brett Favre. #4 is a first ballot hall of fame lock, and even at his advanced age has the tools to be a high quality NFL QB, capable of getting the job done on any Sunday and on any down. His health and ability to continue his iron man streak is essential to this team having any shot (even a long one) at competing in the NFC North this season.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Aaron Rodgers entered this season with as much to prove as any man on this roster. After all of the hype (consideration for being the top Pick) last season, he opened the door of doubt by struggling mightily, and frankly stinking up the field in his only NFL regular season action as a rookie. This season Aaron has pushed back against the many nay-sayers by staying in Green Bay during the off-season and working tirelessly with staff to learn and grow in the areas it takes to play QB at the professional level. His hard work has resulted in a far more confident and competent QB playing behind Favre. If #4 is the hope for the present (and the darling of the past), #12 is one of its hopes for the future. Aaron has the physical tools to be a quality NFL QB, but seems to have learned that it also takes hard work, health, opportunity, and a lot of luck to be anything more than another QB wannabe footnote in the NFL.

Ingle Martin is last season’s Aaron Rodgers without the hype. Despite having the size, arm strength, quick release, and athletic ability to play in the NFL, Ingle looked lost in the early days of camp, and looks like the rookie that he is. Unlike Aaron, Ingle has the benefit of being able to be a #3 QB and to watch and learn with out the bright lights in his face and a microphone shoved in his mask before and after every practice. If he can develop (there is no reason to think he cannot) the Packers may have found another QB to grow with Rodgers for the future.

Brian Wrobel, has all of the ingredients of a good camp QB. He is quick footed and a quick study. His intelligent and guts are what gets him the opportunity that few get, but his lack of passing talent will having him searching and praying for a developmental player assignment and a trip to NFL-E next season.

Running Back is the opposite of QB – because it is filled with question marks and double jointed, crossed fingers.

For many years Green Bay struggled to find a competent RB. Then along came current Running Back Coach, Edgar Bennett as a FB who swung over to HB, starting a string of running back treats that included Dorsey Levens and Ahman Green and the 1000 yards plus seasons that were taken for granted.

A healthy Ahman Green is an elite NFL running back; unfortunately the Pack has nothing solid to hang hopes of health on, other than this man’s extreme hard work and desire. He has Father Time and serious injury (torn thigh tendon) last season working against him, two major obstacles to overcome if he is to provide this young squad with the running game that is critical to its offensive success. Even if he can return to his pre-05 form, his staying healthy will depend upon finding depth to spell and rotate with this talented veteran running back.

While Najeh Davenport has always been a tease as a change of pace big back capable of moving the pile (especially late in the 4th quarter), he has never been able to shake the injury bug. Given Greens questionable health, it is very risky to go with a big man who runs too upright and absorbs too many big hits as your #2 HB. Further, Najeh has never demonstrated the hands to be a primary back in a WCO, and his lack of blocking ability and assignment reliability render him a poor choice to be a swing back between HB and FB – especially on 3rd down.

Perhaps the greatest story of the disastrous 2005 season was the discovery of Samkon Gado. This med student came off the street and electrified Lambeau field with some spectacular running when it seemed that GB running game was done for the season due to injuries. Unfortunately 2005’s glimmering hope has failed to sparkle so far in 2006. Samkon’s explosive style ironically may have been assisted by his lack of knowledge about the offense, resulting in his not thinking and getting up the field. Thus far this season, he is thinking far too much, which will not cut it (pun intended) in a one-cut-and-go zone blocking scheme until he begins to know the offense and trust his instincts.

Noah Herron reminds me of Tony Fischer. He is not the most physically gifted guy, but you can always count on him to know where to be on blitz pickups and check down passes, and to never be outworked. Like Fischer, he has good hands, runs patterns like a receiver and squeezes the most out of his physical ability on every down.

Arliss Beach is the kind of raw athlete that makes a good practice squad player, but is not ready to play on Sunday at this point in his career – even as s #3 RB.

Fullback is another position that has been stable for many years, but now has become somewhat concerning. William Henderson is a workhorse who puts his bonnet into every block and has provided stability at fullback by being a sure blocker in both the running and passing game for years. Add to that his sure hands, strong work ethic and veteran leadership and it is easy to understand why Sir William is a fan favorite. Unfortunately, he is at a point in his career where he should be rotating and sharing the load with a younger stud – especially on early downs – but looking at the roster it is hard to imagine who that other FB might be.

Vonta Leach is chiseled with size and strength to be a great NFL fullback, but sadly seems to have hands that are chiseled too – from rock – and his decision-making is questionable at best. Cooper looked great until they put the pads on and should be an early cut. Undersized Herron may steal his job assisted by the health uncertainty at HB making his ability to swing between positions invaluable.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: A Multiple Part Look at the Packers Roster: A Look in th

Heatherthepackgirl said:
yooperfan said:
Great post!
Thanks Bruce, it's these informative posts that I look forward to.

Me too...:) I learn so much on this site..

Thanks yooper and Heather :D , I plan to do a 7 part series looking at the team. Wide receivers are next.

Reaction score
Re: A Multiple Part Look at the Packers Roster: A Look in the Ba

Nice to see you continue your analysis of the team before the season starts, a nice tradition of sorts that dates back to NC. Always worth a read.

I agree with you about Davenport, and it disgusts me at the lack of willingngess and interest he showed has showed in blocking thus far.

Look forward to the WR and O-line part of the series.

BTW - I edited the title, the old one didn't fit, and looked akward on the forums.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Much thanks for taking the time to write that, Bruce. This is an example of how I often find better material on this forum than I do in the newspapers.

I agree pretty much everything here, and in particular, I share your concerns about Davenport. I'm surprised that he got the start against San Diego and apparently will get the start again tonight against Atlanta. But then, if he is not capable of excelling as a starter when Green is injured he will most likely be cut in favor of one of the younger, less injury-prone guys. Let's hope he gets enough blocking that we can give him a fair assessment.

I'm not a Vonta Leach fan, either, though I would feel better about the fullback position if he looked even close to being ready to replace Henderson.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Much thanks for taking the time to write that, Bruce. This is an example of how I often find better material on this forum than I do in the newspapers.

I agree pretty much everything here, and in particular, I share your concerns about Davenport. I'm surprised that he got the start against San Diego and apparently will get the start again tonight against Atlanta. But then, if he is not capable of excelling as a starter when Green is injured he will most likely be cut in favor of one of the younger, less injury-prone guys. Let's hope he gets enough blocking that we can give him a fair assessment.

I'm not a Vonta Leach fan, either, though I would feel better about the fullback position if he looked even close to being ready to replace Henderson.

He (Vonta Leach) better get ready because with Henderson going down the Pack is going to need him to step up -- though a trade is certainly not out of the question.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: A Multiple Part Look at the Packers Roster: A Look in th

yooperfan said:
Great post!
Thanks Bruce, it's these informative posts that I look forward to.

I agree, it is always great to read these well thought out posts of yours Bruce. Thanks !!!

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thanks Bruce, glad to see you mentioned Ingle Martin I was thrilled when we drafted him. In the NFL tryouts they kept talking about Cutler and Whitehurst but Ingle was throwing as well as anyone. I think we have a hidden gem.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thanks for the post bruce, it was informative and a entertaining. Hope to see some other ones.