A look at realistic ILB options-- link provided

D

Deleted member 6794

No Neal or Perry then I'm good. They can come off the bench but as starters I don't wanna see either . Perry should be a pass rushing d-end only.

Perry should have never been drafted by the Packers in the first place.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score

At the time the pick made a lot of sense. We badly needed an OLB and he was one of the best players (player with most potential) on the board. Obviously didn't really work out the way the Packers (and the fans) hoped. Part of it because the transition to from DE to OLB turned out to be tougher than expected for Perry and part of it because of the injuries. I believe that Perry can become a solid situational pass rusher for us, but he will never become the 3 down guys the Packers envisioned when they drafted him.

So long story short, I believe its to early to call Perry a bust.

D

Deleted member 6794

At the time the pick made a lot of sense. We badly needed an OLB and he was one of the best players (player with most potential) on the board. Obviously didn't really work out the way the Packers (and the fans) hoped. Part of it because the transition to from DE to OLB turned out to be tougher than expected for Perry and part of it because of the injuries. I believe that Perry can become a solid situational pass rusher for us, but he will never become the 3 down guys the Packers envisioned when they drafted him.

Perry said before the draft that he only wanted to play in a 4-3 defense. The pick didn´t make any sense at the time he was drafted.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry was also leading the team in sacks and pressures before he broke his foot. He only played 152 snaps in the next 11 games (222 in the first 5), the guy was injured.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Neal led the team in QB pressures last season, think he will improve playing the position for another season. I´m not excited about Perry either, never was. I think the position will be improved though with Peppers lining up there as well and at least they tried to do something to improve it by drafting Bradford. In addition Hubbard was projected to be at least a mid-round pick and it seems they really like Elliott.
I don't know how much you can "like" an edge rusher when your equipment manager hasn't so much as dusted off the pads, much less your players.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Why is it to early to call him a bust? If he were a qb ppl would. The guy is playig out of position and it's hurting his production not to mention the fact he can't stay healthy. It wouldn't shock me if he went somewhere else and turned out to be above average. He reminds me a lot of Dwight Freeney with the athletic ability., difference is Freeney actually got to play d end for a long stretch of his career and it worked out. Perry is stuck playing a position he's just not that good at...do we blame him? Or TT? I mean he didn't draft himself. He mentioned before the draft something about not really wanting to play olb. Maybe he knew something the "experts" didn't.

OP
OP
D

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Expecting all three of Perry/Neal/Datone to step up? I will not hold my breath. Clay, Daniels and Peppers I expect will be themselves, barring injury. I just wish I had the same optimism about the other 3. If 1 of them does, I'll call that 50-50. If 2 of them do, I'll call that a victory.

Neal really wasn't bad last year and that was while being forced to play out of position a lot. A healthier defense should benefit him as much as anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Perry is a good player if he can stay healthy for full season he would be a 10 sack guy. You can't ask for much more than that, he also is strong against the run. He plays much better on the right side rushing against the left tackle than he does on the left side rushing against the right tackle which is a bit odd. Perhaps he's just more comfortable because he played on the right side during his college career.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There weren't really many options the Packers had a #28 in the 2012 draft. The best defensive players were all gone: Clairborne, Kuechly, Barron, Gilmore, Poe, Cox, Brockers, Coples, Kirkpatrick, Ingram, Chandler Jones and Hightower, all gone before the Packers were on the board. The only other player who was worth considering at that point was Courtney Upshaw, who went to the Ravens at #35. Packers probably would have traded back if they had the chance.

Packers also reportedly wanted Kendall Reyes in round 2, but San Diego picked him 2 places earlier. If only we could have drafted Reyes rather than Worthy :(

D

Deleted member 6794

Perry is a good player if he can stay healthy for full season he would be a 10 sack guy. You can't ask for much more than that, he also is strong against the run. He plays much better on the right side rushing against the left tackle than he does on the left side rushing against the right tackle which is a bit odd. Perhaps he's just more comfortable because he played on the right side during his college career.

A lot of 3-4 OLB get most of their sacks playing on the right side as they can rush most of the QBs from the blind side and don´t have to beat a blocking TE as well. Perry´s obviously one of the guys being way more effective playing on the weak side, he won´t get a lot of snaps there though as Matthews playing there most of the time.

The main reason why I didn´t like drafting Perry in the first place is that he was clear about not wanting to play in a 3-4 before the draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

There weren't really many options the Packers had a #28 in the 2012 draft. The best defensive players were all gone: Clairborne, Kuechly, Barron, Gilmore, Poe, Cox, Brockers, Coples, Kirkpatrick, Ingram, Chandler Jones and Hightower, all gone before the Packers were on the board. The only other player who was worth considering at that point was Courtney Upshaw, who went to the Ravens at #35. Packers probably would have traded back if they had the chance.

The Vikings took safety Harrison Smith with the next pick. He would have been a huge upgrade to our secondary.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Before the 2012 draft, there was talk about the Packers selecting Shea McClellin with their first round pick. Of course the Bears took him with pick #19 so the Packers never got the chance. McClellin has been a disappointment in Chicago and the Bears are switching him from DE to LB. According to some on Bears radio, this is his “last” chance. Interesting to me that both would have probably fared better if McClellin had gone to the Packers and Perry to the Bears (and Rodgers would have fared better last season). Sacks aren't the end-all stat but as a comparison McClellin recorded 6.5 sacks in 28 regular season games while Perry has recorded 6 sacks in 17 games and has 3 forced fumbles to his credit to none for McClellin.

But IMO we should keep in mind Perry is only going into his third season and because of injury he’s only played about one season’s worth of regular season games (17). The acquisition of Peppers may reduce his chances for snaps and I see Neal as ahead of him as well (how fans lump Neal and Perry together in a negative way is beyond me). If where Clay lines up is much more varied than it’s been in the past, that could help Perry see snaps. I have a higher opinion of Perry’s ability than some, but he has to turn those flashes we've seen into consistent performance and, of course, avoid injury. Perry's been around long enough now that I won't buy the 'more comfortable on the right side' excuse.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry's been around long enough now that I won't buy the 'more comfortable on the right side' excuse.

Perry played 231 snaps from the left. In these snaps he recorded 2 sacks and had 22 total pressures (including sacks and hits) according to PFF. He played 62 snaps from the right side. In these snaps he recorded 4 sacks and 13 total pressures.

In other words, he pressured the QB on 21% of his snaps from the right side and only 9.5% of his snaps from the left side. So it seems that Perry is more effective from the right side.

For comparison:
Matthews played 832 career snaps from the left and 990 career snaps from the right:
> He pressured the QB on 15% of the snaps from the left and 12,5% of the snaps from the right.

Neal played 290 snaps from the left and 89 snaps from the right this year (since only OLB-snaps matter):
> He pressured the QB on 13% of the snaps from the left and 10% of the snaps from the right.

McClellin played 366 career snaps form the left and 248 career snaps from the right:
> He pressured the QB on 9,5% of his snaps from the left and 11% of his snaps from the right.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
His goal should be to become equally comfortable on the left. As the stats show, he's got more reps there and he'll no doubt get more in TC. He's a pro and if there are more snaps available to him on the left, he needs to take full advantage of them. IMO the only scenario in which he should be catered to (lining up exclusively on the right) is if he were the best pass rusher from that spot; and no one can credibly make that argument.

D

Deleted member 6794

Too bad the Packers weren't looking for a safety at the time. It was the pre-Burnett flop-out.

I'll bet you that TT had Perry rated higher than Smith.

Well, they took a safety in the fourth round, so there was some need there. It´s obviuos Thompson had Perry rated higher than Smith, in hindsight that wasn´t a good decision though.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Not when you consider that a big part of that is blindside. He's the same player on both sides, he just gets noticed by the QB more often on one of them

D

Deleted member 6794

Not when you consider that a big part of that is blindside. He's the same player on both sides, he just gets noticed by the QB more often on one of them

He still has to get by the LT playing on the right side though. He´s not the same player lining up on the left side, there are some guys getting most of their snaps rushing the QB from that side as well.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
He still has to get by the LT playing on the right side though. He´s not the same player lining up on the left side, there are some guys getting most of their snaps rushing the QB from that side as well.
He has a nice bull rush/speed rush combination where he uses the bull to set up the speed. He gets by both the RT and the LT. The only difference is that the QB notices him faster on one side, and the other side he gets that extra half a second before the QB goes O S*! Put him against a Lefty QB, and he'll get those sacks against the same RT. He says he feels more natural on the right side, because he HAS been playing it longer, and back in college he relied heavily on his power game, which translates better against a LT, and that's all the credit I can give you on that one.

D

Deleted member 6794

He has a nice bull rush/speed rush combination where he uses the bull to set up the speed. He gets by both the RT and the LT. The only difference is that the QB notices him faster on one side, and the other side he gets that extra half a second before the QB goes O S*! Put him against a Lefty QB, and he'll get those sacks against the same RT. He says he feels more natural on the right side, because he HAS been playing it longer, and back in college he relied heavily on his power game, which translates better against a LT, and that's all the credit I can give you on that one.

I don´t buy it´s that much harder for 3-4 OLB to rush the passer from the left side as approximately 44% of all sacks came from guys lining up on that side.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I don´t buy it´s that much harder for 3-4 OLB to rush the passer from the left side as approximately 44% of all sacks came from guys lining up on that side.
It's not technically "that much harder" its really only "slightly harder" and in this case it's "just hard enough." Also remember that LT and RT play two different games. RT is there to stop power rushers, LT is there to stop speed rushers (generally).

Members online

Latest posts