A look at realistic ILB options-- link provided

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I expect the defense to be better than last year as well, but ILB is by far the weakest link on it.
I'm not sure I agree with this assessment. Safety is pathetic until anybody at that position shows us that they can play. D-line is full of questions as well in that we know we can't trust Raji, and D. Jones &Worthy are totally unproven.

Hawk is and always has been extremely reliable. If B. Jones injures his hamstring in week 14 instead of week 4, no one is saying he is garbage. He was playing well before his injury. Burnett and Raji were the problems last year. They were counted on to perform and they both stunk.

OP
OP
D

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure I agree with this assessment. Safety is pathetic until anybody at that position shows us that they can play. D-line is full of questions as well in that we know we can't trust Raji, and D. Jones &Worthy are totally unproven.

Hawk is and always has been extremely reliable. If B. Jones injures his hamstring in week 14 instead of week 4, no one is saying he is garbage. He was playing well before his injury. Burnett and Raji were the problems last year. They were counted on to perform and they both stunk.

Really? So MD Jennings wasn't a problem? Jones had like 3 good games all year. Burnett was playing, IMO, out of position. He's not a centerfield guy. I understand your concern with raji. But he was also playing out of position IMO as he should be a pure NT. And I think were more loaded on the DLine than people think. Guion isn't just a camp body, he's a possible starter. Don't forget about him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Really? So MD Jennings wasn't a problem? Jones had like 3 good games all year. Burnett was playing, IMO, out of position. He's not a centerfield guy. I understand your concern with raji. But he was also playing out of position IMO as he should be a pure NT. And I think were more loaded on the DLine than people think. Guion isn't just a camp body, he's a possible starter. Don't forget about him.

Yes Jennings was a problem but there were not high expectations for him. Burnett was re-signed and is being paid to be a top 20% safety in this league and performed like a bottom 10% last year.

Raji has stunk for last two years and been unproductive wherever he has played.

B. Jones played three good games before getting injured in 4th game. I'm not sure why I need to repeat that.

OP
OP
D

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes Jennings was a problem but there were not high expectations for him. Burnett was re-signed and is being paid to be a top 20% safety in this league and performed like a bottom 10% last year.

Raji has stunk for last two years and been unproductive wherever he has played.

B. Jones played three good games before getting injured in 4th game. I'm not sure why I need to repeat that.

Hope you're right about jones. But I will always disagree about raji. He can be a productive NT, he has been for us before.

D

Deleted member 6794

Clinton-Dix will be a huge upgrade at the safety position and Burnett will benefit from playing alongside a solid starter as well. The defensive line has more depth than over the last few seasons and Peppers could provide a much needed pass rusher opposite Matthews. We need an upgrade at ILB, but once again I expect the defense to improve.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't say that. I just think if he started there in camp, by week 4 or 5 he would be ready. I'll find a link

I agree. I think Bradford is our best option for now. Also think that they need to do this from the start, giving him snaps at ILB. Maybe he stays with ST for awhile, or competes directly with Jones during camp for a starting spot. I don't think that's unrealistic, and unless Joe Thomas proves to be something very special, there aren't many other options.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree. I think Bradford is our best option for now. Also think that they need to do this from the start, giving him snaps at ILB. Maybe he stays with ST for awhile, or competes directly with Jones during camp for a starting spot. I don't think that's unrealistic, and unless Joe Thomas proves to be something very special, there aren't many other options.

Brian Gutekunst has already come out and said that Bradford will start at OLB and that he hasn´t any experience playing ILB. There´s no reason to believe the Packers are thinking about moving him inside.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Hope you're right about jones. But I will always disagree about raji. He can be a productive NT, he has been for us before.

Yes. Raji has shown he can be a productive NT. Unfortunately, he's also shown he can't be relied upon to be a productive player. I don't trust and have faith in his work ethic, mental toughness and professionalism. I would put him on a max 30 snap per game limit and see how he handles that. If he shows up for camp fat, sloppy and out of shape, I hope Thompson releases him immediately. Imo, Raji should be on a very short leash.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Clinton-Dix will be a huge upgrade at the safety position and Burnett will benefit from playing alongside a solid starter as well.
I suspect you're right about CD but I don't expect to see that in the first month or two of the season. I'm really interested to see how well Hyde adapts. My guess is that he will be ahead of CD when they break camp.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes. Raji has shown he can be a productive NT. Unfortunately, he's also shown he can't be relied upon to be a productive player. I don't trust and have faith in his work ethic, mental toughness and professionalism. I would put him on a max 30 snap per game limit and see how he handles that. If he shows up for camp fat, sloppy and out of shape, I hope Thompson releases him immediately. Imo, Raji should be on a very short leash.

I agree that I don´t trust Raji´s work ethic either. With that being said I would let his play decide how many snaps he´s going to play in 2014. No way I would sign him to a long-term deal afterwards though, even if he has a great season.

D

Deleted member 6794

I suspect you're right about CD but I don't expect to see that in the first month or two of the season. I'm really interested to see how well Hyde adapts. My guess is that he will be ahead of CD when they break camp.

After drafting Clinton-Dix I´m not sure the Packers plan on moving Hyde to safety permanently. Even if they do, I expect Clinton-Dix to be ahead of him on the depth chart.

OP
OP
D

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After drafting Clinton-Dix I´m not sure the Packers plan on moving Hyde to safety permanently. Even if they do, I expect Clinton-Dix to be ahead of him on the depth chart.

Do you really think they'll have him at #1 on the first release of the depth chart? I don't think that would happen with any rookie. Don't know that it ever has.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Im rootin for Joe.

D

Deleted member 6794

Do you really think they'll have him at #1 on the first release of the depth chart? I don't think that would happen with any rookie. Don't know that it ever has.

It doesn´t matter who the team ranks at #1 on the depth chart released to the media. Last year the Packers had DuJuan Harris listed ahead of Eddie Lacy on it when everybody knew Lacy was going to be the starter.

Clinton-Dix will be the starter day 1 at Seattle.

OP
OP
D

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn´t matter who the team ranks at #1 on the depth chart released to the media. Last year the Packers had DuJuan Harris listed ahead of Eddie Lacy on it when everybody knew Lacy was going to be the starter.

Clinton-Dix will be the starter day 1 at Seattle.

I think so too. But actually, last year, McCarthy made it clear that he viewed Harris as their number 1.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Except for injury, I expect Clinton-Dix to start at safety at Seattle. There's not an established vet he has to beat out for the job. I hope Hyde and Richardson give him a run for his money, competition can't hurt, but it's unclear whether or not Hyde will practice at safety full time and Richardson is a question mark too.

OP
OP
D

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except for injury, I expect Clinton-Dix to start at safety at Seattle. There's not an established vet he has to beat out for the job. I hope Hyde and Richardson give him a run for his money, competition can't hurt, but it's unclear whether or not Hyde will practice at safety full time and Richardson is a question mark too.

Richardson isn't going to compete for the same job. SS and FS is like comparing ILB to OLB in a 3-4. That like saying I hope AJ Hawk gives nick perry a run for his money.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Richardson isn't going to compete for the same job. SS and FS is like comparing ILB to OLB in a 3-4. That like saying I hope AJ Hawk gives nick perry a run for his money.
No, it's not and it's not even close. No coach calls ILB and OLB interchangeable, but McCarthy, Capers and others insist their safeties are. Also, they believe (not me, they) that Burnett can play both.

OP
OP
D

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't know if many people have looked into Richardson but the guy is actually an ex LB. If you expect an ex linebacker to be playing centerfield, you're crazy. He's a good run stuffer and a good in the box guy but don't expect him to play any deep zones, just not that kind of player.

OP
OP
D

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, it's not and it's not even close. No coach calls ILB and OLB interchangeable, but McCarthy, Capers and others insist their safeties are. Also, they believe (not me, they) that Burnett can play both.

It's the same thing when the player noted is a PURE strong safety like Richardson. Put him back there at FS and I don't think he'd be barely better than hawk at FS. In a single high formation anyway.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I thought it was obvious: If Richardson plays safety next to Burnett, Richardson would be the SS and Burnett the FS. For example, this is what McGinn wrote in his review of the Packers 22-21 win against the Falcons: "At free safety, M.D. Jennings fanned trying to tackle Davis on the TD. It was his 17th play, and after another four-play series he was pulled in favor of Sean Richardson. In 38 snaps, Richardson broke down nicely against Rodgers in a one-on-one situation but didn't show enough thrust and the little man still gained 3. Morgan Burnett (58) moved from strong safety to free safety so the 219-pound Richardson could play near the line."

OP
OP
D

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought it was obvious: If Richardson plays safety next to Burnett, Richardson would be the SS and Burnett the FS. For example, this is what McGinn wrote in his review of the Packers 22-21 win against the Falcons: "At free safety, M.D. Jennings fanned trying to tackle Davis on the TD. It was his 17th play, and after another four-play series he was pulled in favor of Sean Richardson. In 38 snaps, Richardson broke down nicely against Rodgers in a one-on-one situation but didn't show enough thrust and the little man still gained 3. Morgan Burnett (58) moved from strong safety to free safety so the 219-pound Richardson could play near the line."

So what you're saying is, for Clinton Dix to be beat out, Burnett would have to still be playing out of position at FS, and Richardson at strong? Burnett is a horrible FS. He's proved that many, many times. I understand what you're saying but saying "Richardson to give Clinton Dix a run for his money"
That's not possible. It's more like of Clinton Dix fails, Burnett is the back up plan with Richardson taking his place. All I'm saying is there is no competition between Richardson and Clinton Dix.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think so too. But actually, last year, McCarthy made it clear that he viewed Harris as their number 1.

That´s what he told the media, there was absolutely no chance Harris would have started over Lacy at any point during last season.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don´t think there´s another safety on the roster capable of challenging Clinton-Dix at FS. Burnett should be fine at SS playing alongside him.

Members online

Latest posts