A.J. Hawk's value grows for limping Packers

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he gave the bird as well as the shocker haha. This guy has been in the league how long and hasn't figured out you're on camera after you make a play... still funny though!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That might be a broad brush to paint him with. He does seem to lack instinct at times but I also think that his athletic talent (build like a robot) limits his ability to make the instinctive plays. I do think that Hawk plays best with his back against the wall. In 2010 when Barnett went down, AJ had his best season. Most assumed that he was playing for his contract. Now with Bishop and Smith out, he again seems to be playing arguably his best again. We'll see how the season plays out for him.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Team tackle leader....always seems to be near the ball.....been reading the run pretty damn well....and he does not give up on a play.....seems like he took a page out of Clay Matthews book. He is a valuable asset to our team and we really need him to stay in good health.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When injuries decimated the defense around him in 2010, he stepped up and became a leader for our top rated defense. With injuries decimating the team around him in 2012, he has so far stepped up for a much improved defense. Coincidence?

Reduced snaps and less pass coverage have also improved his value.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawk must stay healthy and do what he does. I'm not expecting him to play his mind out, just play the run like he has been, tackle well and often and I'll be very happy, so will everyone else.

H

HardRightEdge

I think he gave the bird as well as the shocker haha. This guy has been in the league how long and hasn't figured out you're on camera after you make a play... still funny though!

I don't think it was a "shocker", and I'd say he wanted it on camera for the Commish to see. It looked to me like middle finger down, all other fingers up...sort of a reverse image of the "bird". Kinda clever. Since it is not commonly thought of as an obscene gesture, it might be hard to fine.

I'm gratified to see he's elevated his level of play over last season's invisibility, hand gestures aside.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
When injuries decimated the defense around him in 2010, he stepped up and became a leader for our top rated defense. With injuries decimating the team around him in 2012, he has so far stepped up for a much improved defense. Coincidence?

Thats what I thought of too

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it was a "shocker", and I'd say he wanted it on camera for the Commish to see. It looked to me like middle finger down, all other fingers up...sort of a reverse image of the "bird". Kinda clever. Since it is not commonly thought of as an obscene gesture, it might be hard to fine.

I'm gratified to see he's elevated his level of play over last season's invisibility, hand gestures aside.
It could also be a reverse shocker, with 2 in the stink.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
No....he definately tossed out the ol' shocker.....my wife and I bust out laughing after that one. Doubt he would get in trouble because TT probably does not know what the hell the shocker is.

H

HardRightEdge

No....he definately tossed out the ol' shocker.....my wife and I bust out laughing after that one. Doubt he would get in trouble because TT probably does not know what the hell the shocker is.

I stand corrected, and I entirely misjudged Hawk's cleverness. It was a "shocker", and he pointed at someone/something, but it does not appear to be the camera. One wonders if he'll be fined, or if the NFL would prefer not to bring this unfamiliar obscenity to the attention of fans.

http://www.totalprosports.com/2012/10/15/aj-hawk-sack-shocker-celebration-gif/

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ I was told that last year when he flipped the ol' bird to our sideline it was because the guys in the locker room were betting him that he couldn't get a sack that game, and returned them a flip of the bird to kinda say "up yours, I got a sack". If he had done that to the opposing team he would have gotten a taunting flag and a fine most likely. Either way, his sacks are so rare that he needs to come up with a sack celebration more clever than the shocker, that is just not that cool.

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
I am usually an avid Hawk basher but this year he seems to have more aggression than usual. He is actually making stops instead of falling on the pile. He is a big help this year. I hope he keeps it up.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
AJ's value has grown over the course of this season for reasons far beyond others getting hurt... his aggressive play has been the most notable change on the defense to date.. IMO.

This is closer to the AJ of OSU then the AJ of the Packers after his rookie year, he isn't sitting as much and reacting, in turn he is attacking the play and using instincts to smother plays at or behind the LOS this season.

Now.. that is not to say that Hawk wasn't very good prior to this season, as I think he is about as consistent as they come, it is just that he is sticking his nose in the play sooner and starting to make impact statements more often.

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
I don't know where his new found aggressiveness came from but I like it. You are right, he reminds me of the Buckeye A.J. Hawk.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts