A.J. Hawk

• Thread starter I asked LT to delete my acct
  • Start date
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Is it just me or is anybody else concerned about the fact that Hawks helmet got knocked off on at least three plays yesterday ??? What kind of protection is that giving him ? I got to a point were I was closing one eye closed watching every time he tackled.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
LOL.....Bill you are a funny guy.

Not concerned by any means, it does not happen every game for him. Think he may have lost his helmet and had to use one from BJ Raji as a backup. That think looked to big on him. That and he was sweating like a work mule and the helmet kept popping loose.

Funny post indeed billy boy.

OP
OP
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Yep, I`m a real barrel of laughs......WTH was so funny about expressing concern about protective gear obviously not doing what its supposed to do ?? Will it be funny if we lose him to a concussion ?

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe he's got a MIPS liner in the helmet. Supposed to be the real deal in reducing concussions.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a huge critic of Hawk, but I have to hand it to him, yesterday - he was very good. Maybe his straps were too loose. Bill you need to watch some old clips of Conrad Dobler...lol

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ Hawk is solid, yet unspectacular. It all has to do with his draft position. If Hawk was a third round pick instead of #5 overall he wouldn't get as much bad press.

Hawk played a great game yesterday against Detroit. And he seems to be the only linebacker who isn't constantly being tended to on the sideline.

H

HardRightEdge

AJ Hawk is solid, yet unspectacular. It all has to do with his draft position. If Hawk was a third round pick instead of #5 overall he wouldn't get as much bad press.

Hawk played a great game yesterday against Detroit. And he seems to be the only linebacker who isn't constantly being tended to on the sideline.

He's playing like the solid guy approximating what we saw in 2010, not shy about sticking his nose in it. The grief some of us had been dishing the last couple of years was deserved, as reflected in his pay cut this off season.

His post-SB year contract was a bet on a breakout to Pro Bowl caliber, not unlike Burnett's deal this past off season. Hawk's breakout did not happen. He's just not an impact player. He's generated few turnovers or sacks, or even tackles for loss, over his career. To repeat, he's playing a solid game this year with a contract more in line with his performance.

As for the helmet thing, perhaps he may have had had a fresh buzz cut and needs a minor adjustment. Who knows. Whatever the problem, it's correctable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
He's playing like the solid guy approximating what we saw in 2010, not shy about sticking his nose in it. The grief some of us had been dishing the last couple of years was deserved, as reflected in his pay cut this off season.

His post-SB year contract was a bet on a breakout to Pro Bowl caliber, not unlike Burnett's deal this past off season. Hawk's breakout did not happen. He's just not an impact player. He's generated few turnovers or sacks, or even tackles for loss, over his career. To repeat, he's playing a solid game this year with a contract more in line with his performance.

As for the helmet thing, perhaps he had a fresh buzz cut and needs a minor adjustment. Who knows. Whatever the problem, it's correctable.

I agree with this. Hawk isn't a pick that has been been unfairly judged, just because he was a 1st round pick. He had a good rookie year, followed by mediocracy til last season. Last year he started to look like he should be a starter, this year its for sure. Still doesn't look like a top 10 pick, but a guy that certainly deserves to be paid and played.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
Is it just me or is anybody else concerned about the fact that Hawks helmet got knocked off on at least three plays yesterday ??? What kind of protection is that giving him ? I got to a point were I was closing one eye closed watching every time he tackled.
Even the announcers were voicing concern! I've never seen one players helmet get knocked off that many times in a single game!
I thought it was because he cut all that hair off, and didn't adjust it...but seriously... get a tighter helmet for next game please!!!

Bus Cook

Reaction score
Even the announcers were voicing concern! I've never seen one players helmet get knocked off that many times in a single game!
I thought it was because he cut all that hair off, and didn't adjust it...but seriously... get a tighter helmet for next game please!!!

yes but not as tight as Pu**y Manning's. That helmet looks to be about 3 sizes too small.

H

HardRightEdge

I agree with this. Hawk isn't a pick that has been been unfairly judged, just because he was a 1st round pick. He had a good rookie year, followed by mediocracy til last season. Last year he started to look like he should be a starter, this year its for sure. Still doesn't look like a top 10 pick, but a guy that certainly deserves to be paid and played.
You may have "agreed" with me, but that's not quite what I said. I think his 2010 year was near-Pro Bowl level, which is why they gave him that contract, which he failed to live up to in 2011 and 2012.

Bus Cook

Reaction score
OK then I agree more with oshkosh. I don't think you can find a reason to not have liked Hawk's play last year. Last year was a good year. Certainly much better than 2009 and 2010 and 2011. He got his contract in 2010 because his agent played TT like a carnival ride, with TT bidding against himself. AJ's mother was surprised by that contract.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Yeah, I think that (without looking up stats) AJ Hawk was the teams leading tackler in 2012. Certainly didn't have the other attributes like sacks, pass deflections, INT's, TFL ..... but a solid player who can play every game, not be consistantly injured, has a nose for the ball carrier and is a decent leader......yeah, I like him. Better than that lame Brad Jones, who gets paid more to do less and be injured.

H

HardRightEdge

In 2011 and 2012 Hawk was slow and late. He was quicker in 2010 and again this season. I don't care what the tackles stats state. As a bald stat, they have about as much use as "hurries".

Here's an example somewhat close to home. Nick Barnett led the Bills in tackles last season with 112, just as he led the Packers on occasion as I recall. The Bills released or did not re-sign him, I cannot recall which. Washington checked out his knee, thought it was OK, and signed him as Fletcher's backup. PFF rated Barnett the #4 ILB last season. LOL...they might want to find a different volunteer to grade the Bills games if they haven't already.

With the Packers he was an outstanding athlete with poor football instincts, regardless of the stats you quote. He was always going the wrong way at the snap and covering up with speed. Same in Buffalo, though a bit slower. Barnett at his best isn't the football player the rookie Alonzo is, regardless of the number tackles Kiko might log. And this has little to do with the rookie's INTs...the guy is always in the right spot and around the ball.

H

HardRightEdge

One more point that goes beyond the stats.

In 2010, Hawk was the glue that held the organized chaos together. Amid all the jet rushes, psycho sets, route jumping, Woodson-freelancing and Bishop selling out on the smash mouth (I do miss that), Hawk was the guy holding it together. There's a reason he was given that big contract.

Lesser talent around him in 2011 and 2012 was more than he could handle. Now, while the talent is still not up to 2010's, the defense is more normalized...Woodson's gone, the route jumping has mostly stopped (it was ugly in 2011...the INT's didn't make up for the too frequent bad guesses and unacceptable field position surrendered), the jet rushes are a thing of the past, psycho has grown ineffective and less frequently used, Jones is a more rounded player than Bishop if not the physical presence. Hawk can settle in now, which is one reason his play has improved this season.

He's not an impact player and he's not a guy who can carry a team. But he can be a very good complimentary player with less than stellar talent so long as scheme-sanity reins.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

His helmet is too big for him. He likes to wear it loose but idk why he does, he just looks foolish picking it up all the time.

Reaction score
I was listening to follow up after the game and, I believe it was Laravee that sad he (Hawk) always wears his chin strap loose. With that being said............what really scared me was when the, the equipment manager made the announcement that they ran out of 12 oz. cups for Gatorade and they had to make the adjustment to 10 oz!!!!! I'm like holy $hit! How are they going to work through this one!?!?!?!??!?!

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On a semi-related note, does anyone who has payed any attention to Viking games this year know how Bishop is panning out over there? Just curious.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
On a semi-related note, does anyone who has payed any attention to Viking games this year know how Bishop is panning out over there? Just curious.

well, he is not on their injury list, only ponder is.....they are the least injured team in the NFL right now. So, he must be flying under the radar or doing crappy.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
Was yesterday a record in that AJ's helmet only getting knocked off ONCE the entire game, or did I miss another?!?!
:eek:

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hes seriously not strapping it on tight enough or something, happened once yesterday and 2 in the game before. his head took a pretty good shot too yesterday i thought. looked like it slammed into someone's shoulder after his helmet got knocked off.

Members online

Latest posts