Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wpr said:
From what I have seen posted by the so called experts, Green Bay will more than likely draft either AJ Hawk (LB) or Mario Williams (OLB).
If it is not Reggie Bush, who would you like to see them pick up in the draft?

i'd like the packers to draft reggie bush. but he won't be there so i'd rather pick aj hawk than mario.

hawk can start immediatly, and hawk and barnett will make a great impact.

if bates is named headcoac, i feel it will definetly be aj hawk unless hawk is gone.

if bush and hawk are gone, and young is there, i'd draft vince young.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First I would like to say--I love the draft

AJ Hawk, Mario Williams, Mathias Kiwanuka, Haloti Ngata, Jimmy Williams

--notice how I left D'Angelo Williams out of this, yeah, I'll bet on us drafting D

Defensive end...
-I wish we would've gotten Mike Montgomery more time...he looked good in limited duty, if he would play like that as a starter, i think he and Kampman would be formidable as DE's, but that brings me to my next point
-Will the Pack re-sign Aaron Kampman (god I hope so)
-I really think this is it for KGB, he is a one dimensional pass rusher, this year he did not even perform that dimension, If I were the GM (a duty i assume all too often), I would try to trade, yes trade, KGB

Defensive end PROSPECTS
...Kiwanuka from BC/M. Williams from NC State, I'm gonna say pick your poison here...with the upside that both players have there is a downside, both prospects possess great frames, 6'7 apiece, long arms, easy to move tackles out of the way, get arms up in the air, a motor to get around the tackles...however Kiwanuka runs kind of thin at 260, whereas Williams (290) has come up lean in the statistic department, not quite performing as someone of his ability should
1. Mathias Kiwanuka
2. Mario Williams (i know someone else would rate him higher, this means a possible trade down because Kiwanuka is projected 7-10 early on)

DEFENSIVE TACKLE
**Combine results pending** I still love Haloti Ngata...our defensive line is not that good, as stated above, our interior DL is mediocre, Colin Cole was--a pleasant surprise, but I don't think he presents anything of great significance...Grady Jackson either dominates a game or fades completely, regardless he's over 30 with one bad wheel...Ngata's knee injury has come into question, but he still has high stock and will be sought after if he checks out well in the combine...He can be dominant against the run with great size, and against the pass with tremendous speed for someone his size, videos of him remind me of Warren Sapp in his prime--IF he proves to be healthy, I think he's my odds on favorite for our first round pick, and I think we can get away with trading down 3-4 spots to get him (if Vince Young enters the draft with a lot of hype), maybe that will pick us up an extra 2nd or 3rd, regardless Ngata could be one hell of a force on our D-line

LINEBACKER
With the reasons described for the d-lineman above, I think AJ Hawk is the best bet out of any of the defensive prospects being discussed--and chances are Na'il Diggs is released, due to cash and injury concerns...This leaves Nick Barnett in the middle (solid but I think he'd perform better on the outside), Robert Thomas (injured himself, but solid)...and role players Roy Manning and Paris Lenon (doubt we'll hear from Poppinga all next year)...The problem arises with Tennessee at #3...If AJ Hawk is taken there, which I hope he isn't, I think we end up trading down a few spots...but don't fret Packer fans, there are plenty of prospects out there in the early second for us...Demeco Ryans (Alabama), Ernie Sims (Florida State), Thomas Howard (UTEP), Ahmad Brooks (UVa), D'Qwell Jackson (Maryland), Abdul Hodge (Iowa)

...the strength of this linebacker class convinces me that we can pass on aj hawk (by trading down) and still select a promising LB prospect in the second round--regardless, our LB core is one that needs attention

CORNERBACK
Jimmy Williams was great in college, however he might be moved to safety in the pro's, I like him, but I'm gonna leave him out of the equation now because I think the front seven is a more pressing need (like it was LAST APRIL)

MY DRAFT...
1-5) Too complicated to figure out trades, I'm gonna just go ahead and take **DT-Haloti Ngata, Oregon**, I think AJ Hawk goes to Tennessee at 3, I think we could also swing a deal with either Oakland at #7 or Arizona at #10 because they could desire a QB, but, lets let Young (or Quinn) declare first
...honorable mention DE-Mathias Kiwanuka, Boston College

2-36) ILB-Abdul Hodge, Iowa--he has been overshadowed by Chad Greenway all season, outstanding against the run, and most important, we can get away with moving Barnett to the outside...starting linebackers can come out of the second round, Odell Thurman did last year
...honorable mention OG-Tatsui Latui (sp), Southern Cal or Max Jean-Giles, Georgia...I think either of the top guards will make it to us in the second round but LB is our biggest need at this point

Round 3-4-5, o-line, secondary, running back--in that order...Latui or Ohio state center Nick Mangold could be available in round 3...Our depth charts at cornerback are thin, and running back--Gado starts, Fisher maintains his role, and I think a mid round pick gives us a servicable back to backup

**most importantly**...even if we don't trade down our first pick, we have advantageous position in the other six rounds as well, I anticipate Thompson trading down much like last year--so I anticipate at least 2 extra picks, maybe more

BrettFavre4MVP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I voted Deangelo Williams. He's a stud back. I know you guys all want to go D, but c'mon..We had the 7th ranked overall defense..We had the 18th overall offense, and our rushing offense was a pitiful 29th. We need a stud back. You might say "running backs are a dime a dozen." True, but SERVICEABLE backs are a dime a dozen. STUD backs, the ones who are a virtual lock for the pro bowl every year (Alexander, etc) aren't all that common. Deangelo could be that type of back for us. It would take less pressure off of A-Rod to have a great back to hand off to (I don't think Favre will come back), and Gado could be a great backup..That would be the ideal scenario IMO.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we do not need a running back. We have the amazing Dr. Gado, and Noah Herron. I am sure we will draft an RB late or pick someone up in FA, but considering Gado did amazing things behind a god awful line(like get 100 yards twice before halftime) tells me that the RB position isnt worthy of a number 1 pick, unless its Bush, and since it wont be, its not, and no, and now im confused. thanks.

OP
OP
W

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't it interesting? GB has the #5 pick. There are only a few players that merit a top 5 pick.
And yet as fans we can think of a lot of players we would like to see selected by GB in the 1st round, including some that invlove trading down scenarios.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ Hawk.......he is simply fantastic. One of the most instinctive players I have seen in years. Plus he can go sideline to sideline and is good in coverage. A complete backer....with a mean streak!

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
we do not need a running back. We have the amazing Dr. Gado, and Noah Herron. I am sure we will draft an RB late or pick someone up in FA, but considering Gado did amazing things behind a god awful line(like get 100 yards twice before halftime) tells me that the RB position isnt worthy of a number 1 pick, unless its Bush, and since it wont be, its not, and no, and now im confused. thanks.

I think we need a running back of some sort, just not with this pick--Gado, I forgot Herron, and Tony Fisher...I say free agency...if Ahman Green isn't offered a lot of money, perhaps him, still could be an option because none of our running backs are proficient in catching passes--thats something that I think a free agent back could help us with more than a rookie

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I take Williams because, if he's as good as everyone says, he not only improves the DL, he improves the secondary too. I'd really like to see how good Harris would look playing behind a decent pass rush for a change.

Heelntoe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Hawk and Williams are worth top 5 pics, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if Hawk is gone. I think we could trade down a few spots and still get a good player like Ngata or Kiwanoka. That would likely give us another 2nd rounder, and there are quite a few good backers in this draft.

But my choice is Williams (mostly because I really think Hawk will be gone in the top 3). Williams is a jr at 285lbs can still fill out and be a run stopper. Easier to teach run defense than pass rush.

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we need a running back of some sort, just not with this pick--Gado, I forgot Herron, and Tony Fisher...I say free agency...if Ahman Green isn't offered a lot of money, perhaps him, still could be an option because none of our running backs are proficient in catching passes--thats something that I think a free agent back could help us with more than a rookie[/quote]

If Calhoun comes out and is still there, with our second round pick i would love to see him in green and gold. This guy is the real deal.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we will get a RB. IT wont be early in the draft, maybe FA. But I think Gado would top the depth chart, and thats my point. We wont get a big name R, we dont neeed to.

ohiopacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think ahman green will come back healthy - we can get a RB in later rds - A J Hawk is the best LB- he can play in the middle or on the outside hes fast - can blitz - hard hitter -can cover on passing downs - every down player - i like to see the Pack take WR Santonio Holmes from Ohio ST -in rd 2 - if hes still there - he's fast and runs good routes -

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ahman might come back healthy, but he wont be a packer. he wants a LT paycheck, and LT wont give him that, and rightfully so.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gotarace27 said:
If Calhoun comes out and is still there, with our second round pick i would love to see him in green and gold. This guy is the real deal.

I don't want Calhoun for the same reason I don't want Laurence Maroney...the only time I saw them all season was lying on their backs somewhere on the turf in State College.

IF the packers draft a running back the first day, I say it should be Bush--and not the Reggie one--Micheal Bush from Louisville is one big dude, somewhere around 6'2 230, and he can motor too, would make a nice 3rd round pick, but again, I think we have bigger fish to fry

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm with Heelintoe on this. The draft this year reportedly has a large group of good LBers. We'll get at least one of them. But dominant DEs are too few and far between, and we don't have one. KGB can't shut off his side, too small. There needs to be a change made there. We might as well go for broke with Williams if we can't trade down. That #5 pick is too valuable.

Cdnpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the question is a mute point one of these guys will be probably gone by the 5th pick and so we would pick who is left. A very interesting problem would arise if they are both gone and one of the quarterbacks is still left Young or Leinart whould we pick one of them if they are the best player at pick number five?

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
gotarace27 said:

I don't want Calhoun for the same reason I don't want Laurence Maroney...the only time I saw them all season was lying on their backs somewhere on the turf in State College.

IF the packers draft a running back the first day, I say it should be Bush--and not the Reggie one--Micheal Bush from Louisville is one big dude, somewhere around 6'2 230, and he can motor too, would make a nice 3rd round pick, but again, I think we have bigger fish to fry

Aparently you haven't seen him play. This kid very rarely takes a big hit and had to set a record for how many times he touched the ball for the Badgers this year. 1636 yards rushing with a 4.7 yard av. and 22 tds. 53 receptions with 10.8 average per catch and 2 tds recieving. He has blinding speed and is sure haned out of the backfield. This kid has the total package.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Ahman is going to retire. (see i can say stupid **** off the top of my hairy *** jus like the other posters)

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cdnpackerfan said:
I think the question is a mute point one of these guys will be probably gone by the 5th pick and so we would pick who is left. A very interesting problem would arise if they are both gone and one of the quarterbacks is still left Young or Leinart whould we pick one of them if they are the best player at pick number five?

i totally agree w/you. if hawk and mario as well as bush are all gone, then TT has to draft young if he's there. imangine if TT didn't sell out favre last year, and drafted logan mankin, and signed whale. then there would be no doubt about drafting young. brett would have his last year, and we would have his replacement.

if we draft hawk or mario in round 1, and take calhoun in round 2, i don't see how this could be a bad draft. two immediate starters that can make an impact. i'd draft brandon williams as well.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
i totally agree w/you. if hawk and mario as well as bush are all gone, then TT has to draft young if he's there. imangine if TT didn't sell out favre last year, and drafted logan mankin, and signed whale. then there would be no doubt about drafting young. brett would have his last year, and we would have his replacement.

if we draft hawk or mario in round 1, and take calhoun in round 2, i don't see how this could be a bad draft. two immediate starters that can make an impact. i'd draft brandon williams as well.

There are five players that every team wants--Reggie Bush, Matt Leinart, Vince Young, D'Brickshaw Ferguson (best OT prospect in a few years), and AJ Hawk

If AJ Hawk is there for us at 5, we take him, if not we trade down to a team that really wants, and is willing to overpay for these prospects...because we dont need an offensive tackle, a running back, or a quarterback...this is one of the best drafts ever, and i'd rather have more picks than a QB controversy

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
dhpackr said:

There are five players that every team wants--Reggie Bush, Matt Leinart, Vince Young, D'Brickshaw Ferguson (best OT prospect in a few years), and AJ Hawk

If AJ Hawk is there for us at 5, we take him, if not we trade down to a team that really wants, and is willing to overpay for these prospects...because we dont need an offensive tackle, a running back, or a quarterback...this is one of the best drafts ever, and i'd rather have more picks than a QB controversy

why can't we trade rodgers for some more picks and take young?

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
why can't we trade rodgers for some more picks and take young?

There will be a ton of QB's out there...Matt Leinart, (i assume) Vince Young, (possibly) ND's Brady Quinn, Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler could be somewhere in the 20's, Bowling Green's Omar Gibson just declared--could be a late 1st...Oregon's Kellen Clemens, Bama's Brodie Croyle, and a few others could make first day picks

I just want to break down teams who need QB's
immediate (1-2 yrs) need: New Orleans, Oakland, Arizona
possibly need: NY Jets, Tennessee, St. Louis, Kansas City, Baltimore, Detroit

the teams who I say NEED QB's...will be able to get theirs in the first round, especially if Brady Quinn declares

as for the other six teams who I say could use QB's for competition purposes or because their current QB is aging...there are some prospects out there that I would possibly rate higher than Aaron Rodgers if hypothetically Rodgers were to be in the draft this year--Last year's draft was one of the weakest ever

All the teams who need QB's have many needs...and in a draft that is very deep, I don't see them blowing a first day pick on trading for Aaron Rodgers--and quite honestly, if these teams wanted Rodgers, 23 other teams could've had him last April

I'm not attacking the concept of the 'trade Rodgers, draft Young' idea...just the likelihood that it will happen

Members online

Latest posts