A great Sherman Pick

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RP: Actually, I think it's a riot when people occasionally throw in some obscure word like "inveigle." I wasn't criticizing you--I just thought it was funny that you used that word.

Oh, and just for the record:

inveigle 1. To lead astray or win over by deceitful flattery or persuasion. 2. To obtain by cajolery. (American Heritage Dictionary, Second College Edition)

Increase your word power. Read the Packer Forum. (And oh yeah: Screw Reader's Digest!)

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The last ime I looked Sander was in the middle of the pack in punting stats. Sure looks like Sherman blew this one.

And our former punter is still booming em.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
sixone220. Perhaps I am wrong, I often am but do you think the producer of the DP show would not realize the phone board is lighting up and go with the flow? I think producers of talk radio sit up all night thinking of what would make people keep listening and hit topics that light up the board?

RP

i think that the phone lines are tied up deep enough to stay on topic. it's not like the DP show is sitting there waiting for calls. the lines are full of people waiting to talk about the topic at hand. it's not like dan makes a comment and then someone calls up and gets right on the line.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good Point!

Perhaps I should not have used a national syndicated program to use as an analogy.

OK... Let's change the analogy I used in the post herein.

PLEASE CHANGE TO:

"Perhaps I am wrong, I often am but do you think the producer of the Bob Digdeep (Sports talk and Potato Planting News Radio Show.) in Boise Idaho would not realize the phone board is lighting up and go with the flow? I think producers of The Bob Digdeep radio show sit up all night thinking of what would make people keep listening and hit topics that light up the board?"

RP

bavpb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the best if not THE best topic I ever have seen on this forum.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Well thought words used in an intelligent way and with consideration of the other posters opinion. Good points from each side, way to go Ladies and Gentlemen, makes it fun to come back and read and even post from time to time.

Raider Pride said:
Greg. My bad, words like that belong in a board room with people who feel "the need" to hear words like "inveigle", perhaps not on a football forum. RP

Sounds a little elitist and is imo not the right attitude. Especially on a forum like this one, such words should be used (from time to time) so that some posters become attentive (hääh, what did he say?, was that an insult?, let me look it up, oh okay, that's what it means, good word, maybe I'll use it myself next time) -- and it makes you look more competent :wink:.
And it worked! Some members (like me) have learned a new word on a football- forum, allthough we all (as in my case) usually come here to learn something about the game.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

On that extra Sherman- subject I have to say that on the first sight it would be a good thing to concentrate all the posts about backing or bashing and smacking on one certain topic.
BUT: As a German I have a historically based problem with the segregation of opinions that are not welcome or not easy to handle instead of dealing with them in the form of trying to find the better arguments.

And on the other hand I think that it made the forum less userfriendly and practicable. If you click on Packer Fan Forum you yet have to scroll down over two or three announcement and then the sticky- section to come to where's the beaf (no offence meant!). If there now would be some other extra sticky topics like f.e. "Mike Sherman - pros and contras", "Brett Favre - top or on his way to retirement?", "Management of the Pack - arguments please", "Draft - best player available or fill the holes?".......How long would it take to come to the "Normal"- section?

I like the forum as it is and the posters as they are! :twocents:

Harald

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Good Point!

Perhaps I should not have used a national syndicated program to use as an analogy.

OK... Let's change the analogy I used in the post herein.

PLEASE CHANGE TO:

"Perhaps I am wrong, I often am but do you think the producer of the Bob Digdeep (Sports talk and Potato Planting News Radio Show.) in Boise Idaho would not realize the phone board is lighting up and go with the flow? I think producers of The Bob Digdeep radio show sit up all night thinking of what would make people keep listening and hit topics that light up the board?"

RP

I think we can agree that if a caller said he loves potato bugs, the phone lines would light up with farmers ready to bad mouth bugs and Bob would go with the flow. After all, he needs ratings to keep Bill's Pesticide as his primary sponsor.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:
Bruce wrote;

"...I come to a forum to talk football and exchange ideas --not to read the same tired rants about Sherman or his assistance. Having said this I will be accused of being a Sherman lover or apologist. Frankly, I am not sure what his fate should be at this point -- but for right now he is our team's Head Coach. How can it be so hard to wait for the season to end and let Thompson and/or Sherman make whatever decision they are going to make?..."

Ryan, did you read this? From the MOST respected poster in this board???

May be if the Sherman Ranters can have an "Official" SHERMAN RANT post as you did with the Reggie Bush posts, we'd have knowledgeable posters like Bruce posting here more often!

Obi1, thank you...I've been saying the same thing for some time now.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Bruce: I, too, get sick of all the anti-Sherman stuff because it is so repetitive and hateful. I often get the feeling that were it not for Sherman, some of these posters would be repetitive and hateful about something else anyway.

Where I may disagree with you, though, is your implication that people who want the coach fired should wait until the end of the season to complain. Because most coaches' fates are decided, one way or another, within a few days of the end of the season, this would leave a very small window of opportunity to express one's views. The status of the coach is fair game at any time of year. But it is always better to be concise than to repeat the same things over and over and over.

RP: I am very impressed with your use of the word "inveigles." I had to look that one up!

Greg:

I don't think people should have to wait till the end of the season to critic a coach or a strategy. What I was saying is make the point and move on -- don't bring it back every thread. Frankly, I prefer to wait until the season is over, but that is me. I am not saying that one cannot vent. But the example I posted above, or the distortion that began this thread is what I am talking about growing tired of.

Members online

Latest posts